Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 04:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Supreme Court is a good place to start.
And the authority for that entity to decree such a thing comes from...?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:13 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A thing called the Constitution. Disagreeing with a ruling isn’t cause to nullify the Court.

Taken as a whole, the system of checks and balances is far from perfect, but I wouldn’t trade it for the convenience of anything else. It’s what keeps us out of authoritarianism.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Supreme Court is a good place to start.
Yes, the same government that instituted the Fugitive Slave Act has violated individual rights again.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, the same government that instituted the Fugitive Slave Act has violated individual rights again.
Never said it was a perfect system. Flaws and all, I guarantee you’d rather have the SCOTUS as well as all the other checks and balances, than not.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Their backside? The supreme court when it was a little older and closer to the origins of the constitution ruled on the 14th amendment the government can't compel private action and even that separate but equal is constitutional, then a later supreme court ruled just the opposite. I suppose a later supreme court could conceivably rule in agreement with the former that the government can't compel private action and allow people to voluntarily separate . Really, why should anyone care what the supreme court says?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's one thing, but to see and hear it in places that never was a latin American seen or Spanish heard to suddenly being flooded with enumerable people from latin America going out their way to be seen and heard takes the cake.
Have you ever been to this area? If I go to the beach tomorrow I'll hear English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Russian (definitely Russian), and various other languages I can't even identify.

Only problem I've ever seen is when some of the Swedish chicks go topless before L.A. County Sheriff's drive over on their ATVs and tell them this ain't the French Riviera.

Damn f'ing government ruining it for everyone...once again.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
But that government was just upholding private property rights . Libertarians are for private property rights except when they're not for property rights .

(I know you'll say we have to define what should be considered property or not, and therein lies the problem)

Old 09-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Their backside? The supreme court when it was a little older and closer to the origins of the constitution ruled on the 14th amendment the government can't compel private action and even that separate but equal is constitutional, then a later supreme court ruled just the opposite. I suppose a later supreme court could conceivably rule in agreement with the former that the government can't compel private action and allow people to voluntarily separate . Really, why should anyone care what the supreme court says?
Slippery slope. If you wish to chip away at these sorts of things to suit your immediate needs, the only guarantee is that it’ll then someday be used against you. The wide view of these things is more important than the latest headline which makes your blood pressure rise.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, the right to discriminate is freedom. Prohibiting discrimination is control, not freedom.
You do not have the right to yell “FIRE” in a crowded theater—when there is no fire—because doing so would cause harm to others as they would try to leave in a panic, and could be injured or trampled.

You do not have the right to discriminate because doing so would cause harm to others. Imagine living in a society where you have no access to normal services provided to others. (There is a segment of our society which underwent this very thing for generations.)

Old 09-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to this area? If I go to the beach tomorrow I'll hear English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Russian (definitely Russian), and various other languages I can't even identify.

Only problem I've ever seen is when some of the Swedish chicks go topless before L.A. County Sheriff's drive over on their ATVs and tell them this ain't the French Riviera.

Damn f'ing government ruining it for everyone...once again.

Yes I realize diversity ruined paradise. But it also ruined the more rugged interior that was never diverse until a few years ago. Although I probably wouldn't be "triggered" by most French speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies