Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times

Advertisements

Just saw a YouTube that said there was one mass shooting in the US in the 50's but a whole lot today. And the number one reason given was the "decline of religion."

I think it's because folks that are suicidal are also homicidal, and on the sliding scale of crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Cell Phones: No real study has ever been done on how much they might be literally affecting our brains.

Psychiatric Drugs: Ritalin, Xanax and the like. People that depend on external, experimental or pharmaceutical means to balance their moods, or those that have it shoveled down their throats by lazy school systems, bio-chemically lose the ability to balance their own moods. The overwhelming majority of mass-shooters were at some point prior, prescribed some mental health drug.

Society: This one might be a bit of a stretch but, more people have to work more hours at harder jobs, for less pay, and lees time with anhone they care about it. I know some people are eggshells but, even rock solid people might crack under this pressure. I don't agree with Bernie much, but he said something to the effect of "Our country has a problem where we prescribe medication for stress instead of offering any remedy for the conditions that cause all the stress."

Manipulation: A lot of what gets fed to people through the mainstream media seems almost designed to scare or anger people, with increasing levels of stupidity if people aren't at each other's throats enough. A recent example, San Francisco officially declared members of the NRA terrorists, because apparently declaring NRA members racist, sexist and / or homophobic isn't angering (therefore distracting) people enough.

...keep in mind, mass murder isn't new, and as a percentage of population (note: I said percentage, the actual number is still way higher since world population ncreased 4 billion in the last 50 years) but again, as a percentage, a lot less people are subject to violence than the dark ages when whole communities were torched, people and property alike.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:45 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Just saw a YouTube that said there was one mass shooting in the US in the 50's but a whole lot today. And the number one reason given was the "decline of religion."

I think it's because folks that are suicidal are also homicidal, and on the sliding scale of crazy.
This is the self sufficiently forum, not politics and other controversies.The firearms hysteria belongs over there.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:00 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
This is the self sufficiently forum, not politics and other controversies.The firearms hysteria belongs over there.
While some politics do come into play in this forum, for example, what could cause a SHTF scenario?
...but, the question posed doesn't actually relate to this forum in a significant way and should be moved from SS&P to P&C.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post

Possible. In a training course of "civilian response to a mass shooting" I took a number of years ago, one observation by the police officer instructor was that mass shootings occur less in Bible Belt. If true, do current events neutralize that theory? Not necessarily for what we may be seeing is a spread, a dispersion of the shooters.

From my personal standpoint, when I was in ecology and saw what overpopulation was doing to the planet, one of the "answers" I saw was to massively decrease the population of the planet.......an option I certainly wouldn't take. Why? Because killing many millions of people would certainly earn me a place in hell.

Same thing here. I believe in my religion, I pray and ask for guidance and strength, "I am a good witch", and I am not likely to do things that would result in my damnation. I believe in Heaven and Hell.

Further, my blood thirstiness burned itself out decades ago, so age, maturity, and leadership experience may also have something to do with it. On that note of blood thirstiness, I grew up on Roger Corman, Vincent Price movies. Flicks like "Cry of the Banshee", "Witchfinder General", and "Mark of the Devil" (first I did see as a child, the other two as an adult) may be rather brutal on what they did to people........but probably in comparison to what is put out today, they might be quite mild. IMHO.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Drugs, nihilism, eroding of tradition, and the war on boys.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
The ramping up of political rhetoric on both sides certainly isn't helping.

Everyone wants what they want and they want it now.

The Internet has also served to disconnect us in some ways, people think nothing of disrespecting others online when they are just a profile on a web page.....

And that lack of respect and courtesy is having long term effects in how we deal with other people in real life.

Some people can handle modern society better than others, and we don't keep hardcore criminals and the mentally ill locked up forever the way we used to.

The mixture of declining respect and morality with more undesirable people roaming free in society is a dangerous combination.

And BTW , I think there have always been people who go nuts and commit mass shootings or murder in other forms.......but we didn't publicize and sensationalize it then the way we do now.

Some would also like to change the way "mass shootings" are defined to fit an agenda as well

Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...ren-march-2013

Very interesting article about a school bombing in Houston in the 1950s. The reaction to it was very different than today. For one thing, the media reported on the story locally and it may have received a day or two of coverage nationally. There were no copycats. I suspect that heavy media coverage is driving this current wave of mass shootings more than anything else. I know it’s news, but keeping it front and center and highlighting lunatic ravings of these shooters and calling them manifestos only inspires other mentally ill people to do it too.

One very interesting thing about the Poe Elementary bombing was that the teachers and parents had no clue how to deal with it. No one talked to the kids about it afterwards, and the kids were sent back to the school the very next day (the bombing took place outside during recess).

I don’t recommend doing that, but perhaps some less media coverage would be better for the survivors and the would-be copycats.

At least one of the survivors from this school bombing went on to do heinous things.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:08 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
I don't see anybody mentioning "hate" yet. The El Paso shooter LITERALLY told investigators that he was targeting Mexicans. He said in his manifesto that America was being "overrun by illegals."

Screw all those other reasons, some (not all) of these shooters are driven by hatred.

Just like the Pittsburgh shooter was trying to "kill as many Jews as possible."

HATRED. Intolerance. Racism.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
The "snowflake" society. Young people are raised in a bubble. When they find out that someone does not like them, they lash out. They are a generation of wimps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies