Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 04:30 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,767,927 times

Advertisements

How on earth people so easily forget the highly noticeable uptick in racist rhetoric that occurred during the Obama years, I don't know.
They were "coming out of the woodwork" long before Trump came down the escalator.
Worst thing is, Obama handled it very poorly, when he had the golden opportunity of the century to lead the country into something better. Too bad Obama squandered that opportunity. I don't totally blame him.
People shouldn't need presidents to coddle them and tell them how to behave.
We are still adults in a free country last I checked.
Trump is just unfiltered. If that gets people riled up, it's on them, not him.
And yes, it's mostly social media exposing the long-held truths of ourselves. Racism will never be fixed with bumper stickers or acts of congress.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 PM

8,349 posts, read 2,970,216 times
Yes. Racism towards whites has never been this strong.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 PM

10,493 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
I've lived up and down the west coast and have my opinions, but am curious as to your thoughts?
I would think one of the Asian countries like China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, South or North Korea, etc, would be far more racist.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 PM

814 posts, read 670,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
With Trump leading the way, it has become more acceptable for the racists to be visible. Republicans have been using the dog whistle for a long time, but now have the POTUS using the presidential bully pulpit. So, why are we surprised?

That is what muddies the climate of racism. Is Trump empowering racists to be more vocal and at the same time promoting more numbers by speaking about immigration issues? or is social media making it appear like it's in everyones backyard?

I'll say in my experience if you go an hour outside of any metro area racism towards non caucasians climbs dramatically, but so does the exposure to non white ethnicities. The same is said for metro areas where there are pockets that stick to themselves and choose not to assimilate to our young American ways.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:50 PM

814 posts, read 670,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
How on earth people so easily forget the highly noticeable uptick in racist rhetoric that occurred during the Obama years, I don't know.
They were "coming out of the woodwork" long before Trump came down the escalator.
Worst thing is, Obama handled it very poorly, when he had the golden opportunity of the century to lead the country into something better. Too bad Obama squandered that opportunity. I don't totally blame him.
People shouldn't need presidents to coddle them and tell them how to behave.
We are still adults in a free country last I checked.
Trump is just unfiltered. If that gets people riled up, it's on them, not him.
And yes, it's mostly social media exposing the long-held truths of ourselves. Racism will never be fixed with bumper stickers or acts of congress.
Good point having a black president during this generations worst economic crisis definitely accelerated things. The loss of jobs and rise of the latino population played a huge roll.

As for Trump being unfiltered and it being on the people and not him I don't subscribe to that belief. His words are crafted to play to his base and not the people of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I would think one of the Asian countries like China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, South or North Korea, etc, would be far more racist.
Without a doubt, and you could add most countries outside of the U.S.

But the current reality here feels more like regression than progression.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:51 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
How do we know one is racist? Context matters as well as actions.
Generally when they are caught being a racist.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:51 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,516,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
I've lived up and down the west coast and have my opinions, but am curious as to your thoughts?
I don't think so. The reason I say that is because my children studied abroad. Their stories were surprising to me. Don't fool yourself, it's everywhere.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:00 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
What happened to Jussie can happen to anyone these days. Since Trump took office suddenly these racists attacks have increased.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Default Are there more racists in America or does social media just make it appear that way?

I grew up in the deep South in the 50s and 60s, and there are not nearly as many racists now and way more people overall. I experienced the race riots in '68, and was one of 4 white players on a team with 45 black players in 75, and we were called boy. Racism back then was open, stark and often violent. Thigs have changed a great deal.

Things are way better now. The only thing constant is change. My mother used to say ''nothing is ever as good, or bad, as it seems at the time.'' We would all be better off if we tried harder to concentrate on the things we have in common. "Treat people the way you'd like to be treated".

Buddhism: 560 BC, From the Udanavarga 5:18- "Hurt not others with that which pains yourself."

Judaism: 1300 BC, from the Old Testament, Leviticus 19:18- "Thou shalt Love thy neighbor as thyself."

Hinduism: 3200 BC, From the Hitopadesa- "One should always treat others as they themselves wish to be treated."

Zoroastrianism: 600 BC, From the Shast-na-shayast 13:29- "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself, do not do unto others."

Confucianism: 557 BC, From the Analects 15:23- "What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."

Christianity: 30 AD, From the King James Version , 7:12- "Whatsoever ye would that others should do to you, do ye even so to them."

Old 09-12-2019, 05:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
The number/% of racists have not changed.

The number of people who are racist who don't think they are has skyrocketed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies