Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
You said conservatives were behind the outcry over Michelle Obama's interference in school lunch guidelines.

The reality is that parents all over the country were behind that outcry because children of households whether conservative or liberal were dumping their lunches in the trash rather than eating them and in the process wasting a whole lot of taxpayer dollars.
How was that wasting tax payer dollars. I’m sorry but since when do we cater to kids.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
red is result of 2016 presidential election statewide win for donald trump.

States ranked in order by % of obesity.

1. mississippi
2. w.v.
3. arkansas
4. louisiana
5. kentucky
6. alabama
7. iowa
8. north dakota
9. missouri
10. oklahoma
11. texas
12. kansas
13. tennessee
14. south carolina
15. indiana

shame conservatives won't take responsibility for their health.
lol!!

Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 AM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
1. They smoked, suppressing their appetite.

2. Work hours were shorter, so they had more time to cook and exercise and were less stressed.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:43 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That hypocrite was responsible for schools serving garbage to high school athletes (who threw it away), while she and her husband continued to make their "burgers and fries" (and HIS favorite coconut shake) runs at the Shake Shack--then told the staff to stop blabbing about what they'd ordered.

Give me a break.
This kind of thinking is why so many fail when they try to diet.

Eating a healthy diet does not mean you can NEVER have a burger and fries or a coconut shake.

Eating a healthy diet means you eat those kinds of things once in awhile, not every single day.

Do you really think the Obamas eat greasy fried food and sugar laden desserts EVERY DAY?

Not the Obamas, but certainly Donald Trump.....and it shows.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:53 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
1. They smoked, suppressing their appetite.

2. Work hours were shorter, so they had more time to cook and exercise and were less stressed.
BINGO!

Smoking.....increases metabolism and provides an alternative to reaching for that cookie or bag of chips.....have a cigarette instead.

As smoking rates went down, average weight went up.

Work hours......healthy meals take time to prepare unlike less healthy options.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
I can't imagine anyone making 2,000+ posts a year NOT being morbidly obese.

Now I work at home at my desk and drink nothing but water or coffee and walk almost everywhere it's still a struggle maintaining my weight of 160-170 (from a high of 200) when I can reach over and shovel something into my mouth at any moment of the day.

It takes discipline and effort, especially junk food is just so cheap and plentiful.

You have to remember until the very decent past you burned up most of your calories just producing the food you needed, which took all day to grow, harvest and prepare. Now most people just work all day and just grab whatever is most convenient, often highly processed material that only somewhat resembles food.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:50 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK, on second thought, I am totally off-base.

Yeah, food-deserts, that is to blame for the fatness of the USA.
I've lived in one before, where the only food around was from crappy corner stores. The type that has a broader variety of Slim Jims than fresh produce (which was generally limited to wilted iceberg lettuce and mushy bruised apples and bananas). If you don't have a car, as I didn't, your diet is limited to what that corner store has.

The only reason I stayed thin is because of genetics.

Food deserts are absolutely a factor.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Food deserts are an excuse, not a reason.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:49 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Several things have contributed to obesity.

1. The introduction of artificial sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup. This happened because the US grows more corn than it needs so the corn farmers lobbied for ways to put corn in even more foods. Studies have shown this leads to obesity faster than natural sugar.

2. As already mentioned the advice from the government about food has been terrible. 6 servings of bread a day? Lol, that is all metabolized to sugar in fat sedentary people.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:25 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Several things have contributed to obesity.

1. The introduction of artificial sweeteners like high fructose corn syrup. This happened because the US grows more corn than it needs so the corn farmers lobbied for ways to put corn in even more foods. Studies have shown this leads to obesity faster than natural sugar.
politicians have favored the interests of farmers and corporate food entities over that of the general welfare through taxation and subsidies. Politicians should be completely out of the food chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
2. As already mentioned the advice from the government about food has been terrible. 6 servings of bread a day? Lol, that is all metabolized to sugar in fat sedentary people.
The advice of Politicians and their agencies full of anonymous bureaucrats should never be taken seriously.

See a trend yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies