Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 06:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,752,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Bad dog owners create bad dogs. The same is true of people. Bad parents create bad children. They don't teach them how to behave, how to respect, how to be responsible.
While that is true most of the time, it is not as simple as blame the parents. There are many single mothers in poor neighborhoods (and elsewhere) who try, but are overwhelmed with multiple jobs and multiple kids.

I know wealthy parents who do what they can, and their kids are in constant trouble. One guy in our golf league has spent lot of money getting in professional help, but nothing seems to work with that kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You get 5-6 others and you form a roving gang beating and stealing like these 15-27yo's they just arrested in Minneapolis. Crime dropped huge when they got these guys off the streets.

https://twitter.com/Cara_TXZEAL/stat...33429576454146
Nice, they caught those barbarians.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
While that is true most of the time, it is not as simple as blame the parents. There are many single mothers in poor neighborhoods (and elsewhere) who try, but are overwhelmed with multiple jobs and multiple kids.

I know wealthy parents who do what they can, and their kids are in constant trouble. One guy in our golf league has spent lot of money getting in professional help, but nothing seems to work with that kid.
multiple kids

That sounds like the problem

Old 09-18-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
multiple kids

That sounds like the problem
Yes, as in more than one, which is quite common. If you have three kids, and the husband walks away, you can't dial back time and erase the kids. They are still your responsibility.

I was raised in a family of 4 kids, and I don't know what my mother would have done if my father had walked away or died when we were young.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-18-2019 at 07:28 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Very true. The fact that the vast majority of us also seem to navigate life without resorting to Thuggery or crime would indicate it is not so m much society but individual flaw. My son is black and like all kids challenged authority at times. That didn't mean I made excuses or allowances. Call me old school but my kids weren't allowed out past 10 until after they graduated from H.S.

Coming home late was not an option nor a forgivable offense. I didn't need a village to maintain discipline in my home or with my children. That's a cop out if there ever was one.

Those three young men met the fate they bargained for and society is better for it. It is a sad ending and the lost potential is the greatest tragedy. My son is adopted and if left where he was he might have turned out that way as well. LOL now he is a welder, likes to hunt and fish, has a massive garden, makes his own beer and wine and owns the house he grew up in. Didn't need a village for that. Just needed a dad that didn't allow for excuses or attempt to be the BFF. I owned my children's behavior and taught them that their actions reflect upon their family. Don't bring shame to the family.

Jesus the Christ groomed Judas to be an Apostle for 3 and 1/2 years and look where that got him. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. I raised my three children in church some of the things taught them stuck some of the things taught them slipped and fell by the Wayside.

Oh by the way I liked another post of yours where you said that you took the door off of your kids room(s ) ..lol...i did the exact same thing myself , otherwise they would have ran all over me.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, as in more than one, which is quite common. If you have three kids, and the husband walks away, you can't dial back time and erase the kids. They are still your responsibility.

I was raised in a family of 4 kids, and I don't know what my mother would have done if my father had walked away or died when we were young.
I am hoping she wouldn't have had more kids! You know as well as me most of these types have multiple kids from multiple men. My kids school has plenty of them.

We had a serious problem with one of his "friends" who went off on him online during a game one night. Threatening him and what not because he hated the fact my son had two parents and he got to live in a house vs an apt.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We had a serious problem with one of his "friends" who went off on him online during a game one night. Threatening him and what not because he hated the fact my son had two parents and he got to live in a house vs an apt.
He told you his was motivated by the fact that your kid had two parents? That's weird.

Yes, it does NOT help when the father is absent, be he dead, in prison, in the military, or just walked away.

Try to see issues from multiple angles, as opposed to just one angle.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 AM

13,689 posts, read 4,979,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
People should be able to defend themselves in their own homes. It's sad, but when people break in, they get what they get.
Thank you for the bolded. I commented several pages ago about how this event was a tragedy, even if the boys brought it on themselves. But everyone else on this thread is just going on celebrating their deaths and saying how society is better off. Callous, cold and definitely unchristian.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:54 AM

89,319 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That’s how some folks wind down; in their driveway with their AR15’s waiting for masked arm robbers. Nothing illegal about that.

Mr. AR15 made short work of these thugs. Everyone should own one, or 7
When I was a kid, there was an outbreak of vandalism and burglary in our neighborhood. And because the police, as good as they are, simply can't be everywhere at once to prevent all crimes, the neighborhood fathers organized and several located a certain number of houses apart took a watch each night on a rotating basis, sitting in lawn chairs in their front yards, armed with rifles, handguns... whatever firearm they had.

What do you think happened as a result? No one was shot. No need. The criminals chose to vandalize and steal elsewhere and leave our neighborhood alone.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
He told you his was motivated by the fact that your kid had two parents? That's weird.

Yes, it does NOT help when the father is absent, be he dead, in prison, in the military, or just walked away.

Try to see issues from multiple angles, as opposed to just one angle.
His Dad was in prison for get this, raping his mother. She has an affliction for felons as the last few she's been with were all in and out.

We had multiple birthday parties when we realized how many single parents there were. Some divorced but mostly single moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies