Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 08:13 PM

32,135 posts, read 15,129,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Waiting tables can be a demeaning job and I think it might be better if these jobs go away. Most servers work mainly on tips and they have to share those tips with everyone else who works in the restaurant. Some servers walk out with almost nothing, if they have a bad night. I don't think restaurants should require servers to share their tips.
If you work at a high end restaurant you can make $100,000 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
PTPD. Post traumatic poverty disorder.
Yep.

Have no problem admitting it either.

I'm sure you heard that Walmart ran a car seat for a gift card promotion recently. You turn in an old car seat and get a $30 gift card to Walmart.

I don't have any kids. I don't have a car seat.

Last week I'm walking to my mail box and see a car seat in the dumpster partially covered by other rubbish. I only stopped after I cleared the rubbish off, pulled it out, sniffed it and walked halfway back to my door with seat in hand. Turned around, walked back, and chucked it back in the dumpster.

The nearest Walmart to me is in Compton so about an hour away...depending on L.A. traffic.

For $30.

3-0.

Bottom line, it would take hypnosis to cure it and even that might not work.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If you work at a high end restaurant you can make $100,000 a year.
My sister-in-law's niece quit her job as a biochemist to waitress. Grant it, she lives in NYC so you can make some bank but according to her it was a no-brainer. I'd imagine not reporting tips for tax purposes helps immensely.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:00 PM

32,135 posts, read 15,129,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My sister-in-law's niece quit her job as a biochemist to waitress. Grant it, she lives in NYC so you can make some bank but according to her it was a no-brainer. I'd imagine not reporting tips for tax purposes helps immensely.
If you pay the tip on a credit card it’s already recorded as part of your income.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,658,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yep.

Have no problem admitting it either.

I'm sure you heard that Walmart ran a car seat for a gift card promotion recently. You turn in an old car seat and get a $30 gift card to Walmart.

I don't have any kids. I don't have a car seat.

Last week I'm walking to my mail box and see a car seat in the dumpster partially covered by other rubbish. I only stopped after I cleared the rubbish off, pulled it out, sniffed it and walked halfway back to my door with seat in hand. Turned around, walked back, and chucked it back in the dumpster.

The nearest Walmart to me is in Compton so about an hour away...depending on L.A. traffic.

For $30.

3-0.

Bottom line, it would take hypnosis to cure it and even that might not work.
Once you're hard-wired, it can be hard to rewire. At least you caught yourself, so that's something positive.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,651,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We've done research on this for big chains. There will be runners - people who deliver food and drinks to the table. Special orders will be covered on the tablet, phone app, kiosk or whatever they use.

Only fine dining and restaurants whose draw are the girls, like Tilted Kilt Pub and Hooters, will keep their waitresses.

It's actually harder to replace people with robotics in the back of the house, but that's a whole other topic.
Ultimately they will use bipedal humanoid robots for all these jobs, they can do everything a human person can do, but can work 24/7, and also perform other duties, they will not be limited in anyway, there will no need for 'runners' then.

I think people will accept this, as long as they look human and not much like a robot, they will probably be very expensive at first, but the company can work them 24/7, eventually it will pay for itself and then its all profit.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
- Ordered water without ice with lemon. We received water with ice without lemon. ( not a big issue but it shouldn’t be a big deal to bring what is ordered after writing down the order by waitress)

- Salad without croutons and no tomatoes. We received Salad with croutons (easily to take off so not an issue)

- Ordered side of mayo - after waitress came back three times to ask how everything was and each time asking for mayo, finally the mayo came after third time mentioning the mayo missing

- Ordered fries with one meal and was put on plate of another person- not delivered in separate bowl or plate

- Ordered side of rice and was placed on plate of wrong person
And a tablet would have made a difference - how?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,688,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
What I would like to see is a return to the old-style cafeteria. The kind of place you go through a line, pick out what you want and pay out your ticket at the end. All the waitstaff does is refill drinks and clean up after.

Full-service restaurants should be limited to the high-end places that people go for special occasions. The staff that work those places are true professionals and have the income to match. That's what makes fine dining worthwhile. Chain eateries? Not worth the trouble, imo. I'd not miss them a bit.
Me, too. Wyatt's Cafeteria was like that. Was one my favorite places to eat. Gone for years but not forgotten.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,658,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ultimately they will use bipedal humanoid robots for all these jobs, they can do everything a human person can do, but can work 24/7, and also perform other duties, they will not be limited in anyway, there will no need for 'runners' then.

I think people will accept this, as long as they look human and not much like a robot, they will probably be very expensive at first, but the company can work them 24/7, eventually it will pay for itself and then its all profit.
I don't think robotics will replace runners in my lifetime. While the research we've done shows that people are interacting less with servers than they once did, they still want some kind of human encounter while being served. 50 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised, though.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If you pay the tip on a credit card it’s already recorded as part of your income.
Right, but a lot of people still use straight cash for a tip.

I know on the rare occasion I have to play pretend and act like a normal human being (meet a client for lunch or dinner) I make it a point to pay the tip with cash so they don't have to claim it. The last entity I want to get money off anything I do is the government. Sammy has stolen enough from me...and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies