Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:19 PM

853 posts, read 338,996 times

Advertisements

On average, teens today are much less violent than teenage Boomers or teenage Gen Xers were. Crime is at historic lows, despite the perceptions of angry old people (who were themselves members of more violent generations than the current one).

Old 09-22-2019, 12:20 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,201,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
On average, teens today are much less violent than teenage Boomers or teenage Gen Xers were. Crime is at historic lows, despite the perceptions of angry old people (who were themselves members of more violent generations than the current one).
Guess that’s true.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,670,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Interesting. Please provide the source for this. I've never heard this, and as a boomer, I'd like to check the credibility of whatever data you're citing.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:44 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,419,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Interesting. Please provide the source for this. I've never heard this, and as a boomer, I'd like to check the credibility of whatever data you're citing.
Me too as a Gen X'er.

You'd have to go back and check the UCRs and NCVSs, which are uncomfortably questionable, to ascertain data to form such a hypothesis.

Crime, especially violent crime, peaked in the early 1990s when us Gen X'ers were running amok.

You know, if you just correctly assume that most violent crime is committed by individuals in their late teens/early twenties.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Me too as a Gen X'er.

You'd have to go back and check the UCRs and NCVSs, which are uncomfortably questionable, to ascertain data to form such a hypothesis.

Crime, especially violent crime, peaked in the early 1990s when us Gen X'ers were running amok.

You know, if you just correctly assume that most violent crime is committed by individuals in their late teens/early twenties.
I can't remember a time when kids were this bold. Attacking teachers, etc. If the numbers are down, then they may be skewed somehow which is why I want to know the source.

I'm betting we won't get it though.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,419,399 times
Quote:
I can't remember a time when kids were this bold. Attacking teachers, etc. If the numbers are down, then they may be skewed somehow which is why I want to know the source.

I'm betting we won't get it though.
It's something I don't have a strong opinion on either way. Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe you're already old.

(worthy of 2 ^)

The appearance of increased boldness could be real or maybe it's just with the rise of cameras in our faces 24/7.

If we had cameras running 24/7 in my day I know most folks would have been shocked with what went on. Then again, in the ghetto nobody cares. I suspect most of what goes on in the ghetto today is still covered up. I'm not going back in there to find out though. I'm definitely too old for such tom foolery.

EDIT: Also, you have the hypothesis that kids are desensitized to the violence because of all we see today and in return are doing these bold capers. There is where the cameras on us 24/7 may be having a negative impact.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's something I don't have a strong opinion on either way. Maybe I'm getting old. Maybe you're already old.

(worthy of 2 ^)

The appearance of increased boldness could be real or maybe it's just with the rise of cameras in our faces 24/7.

If we had cameras running 24/7 in my day I know most folks would have been shocked with what went on. Then again, in the ghetto nobody cares. I suspect most of what goes on in the ghetto today is still covered up. I'm not going back in there to find out though. I'm definitely too old for such tom foolery.

EDIT: Also, you have the hypothesis that kids are desensitized to the violence because of all we see today and in return are doing these bold capers. There is where the cameras on us 24/7 may be having a negative impact.
I'm older than dirt. We only fought if someone took our slate.

In the old days the papers covered stories of violence because they were so rare. There was no knock out game or any violence other than gang-related violence. Nowadays, a very small percentage of violence in our cities is making the news. Too many incidents to cover. And it's random, it has nothing to do with anything.

I think they're desensitized to violence because they grow up in violent households or learn violence at an early age.

I see this as only getting worse. The animals will raise animals of their own.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,958,925 times
Quote:
I'm older than dirt. We only fought if someone took our slate.

In the old days the papers covered stories of violence because they were so rare. There was no knock out game or any violence other than gang-related violence. Nowadays, a very small percentage of violence in our cities is making the news. Too many incidents to cover. And it's random, it has nothing to do with anything.

I think they're desensitized to violence because they grow up in violent households or learn violence at an early age.

I see this as only getting worse. The animals will raise animals of their own.

Thirty years of postmodern cultural Marxism 'victimhood' is coming to fruition... moral 'truths' are being eliminated.

Last edited by Ultor; 09-22-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,265,238 times
Hood rats behaving badly. Dint do nuffin.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:01 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,708,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sheesh. not even county fairs are safe from ‘teen’ attacks anymore.

Police: Teens fatally assault man at Great Frederick Fair, may have been 'knockout game'

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wjla.co...frederick-fair
I attended the Great Frederick Fair about 20 years ago, and I witnessed a fight between two groups of young black people. For the most part, Frederick is a nice place, and the fair experience was a pleasant one until it got later in the evening. My conclusion is that the issue (both then and now) is not with Frederick, nor the Great Frederick Fair, but with a subset of young black people.

Nowadays, I don't go to functions like this in the evening. The vibe definitely changes from day to night, as the troublemakers tend to make themselves more numerous after the sun goes down. Though, this particular case happened at 5:30 p.m., while it was still bright and sunny out. So, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies