Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 05:55 PM

21 posts, read 10,371 times

Advertisements

To compare the boycott of a company to the targeted destruction of an individual's life is to diminish what it is these SJW fanatics are really doing to people. When you boycott a company you are maybe cutting in to their profits by a negligible amount. When you target a wrong thinker and make them unemployable you are destroying the person and often the person's family. The latter is far worse and far more disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Powers View Post
To compare the boycott of a company to the targeted destruction of an individual's life is to diminish what it is these SJW fanatics are really doing to people. When you boycott a company you are maybe cutting in to their profits by a negligible amount. When you target a wrong thinker and make them unemployable you are destroying the person and often the person's family. The latter is far worse and far more disturbing.
SJW's are not the only ones that participates in cancel culture. The right as well participates in cancel culture as well. Mike cernovich reposted Twitter comments of a des moines register journalist who got Mike King canceled for his tweets fired from his job as a journalist with his employer. Laura loomer also wanted Kyle kushuv who was selected to attend Harvard to have Harvard rescind thier selection of Kyle kushuv for using the n word in private. Harvard rescinded thier descesion.

Both sjw and the alt right participate in cancel culture. Both camps only believe in free speech for themselves, but not for free speech on the behalf of opposing groups who have different viewpoints and opinions.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Anyone who thinks this is something new in the human experience is naive or politicizing.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Anyone who thinks this is something new in the human experience is naive or politicizing.
You are correctly right. Cancel culture is not new. It has been with us throughout history, but society never coined the term for this types of actions.

What makes cancel culture different now versus the past is that sjws cancel people like Christopher Columbus who had been dead for 500 years vs canceling someone now for something a person has done in the present.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:15 PM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
if it is voluntary, I couldn't care less.

If it is enforced via the state, I oppose it vehemently.

In my own life, it simply serves as the baseline reason that I: trust very few, refuse to have a Twitter/Instagram/etc account, figure everyone is a busybody jackass, keep my opinions to myself, and generally live a guarded, cynical life.

Cancel culture gives much credence to the Corleone family ethos - never trust anyone outside the family, never let anyone outside the family know what you are thinking, and never go against the family.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I think this is horrible. I am sick and tired of people on social media joining up to an anonymous mob and knee jerk demanding someone be fired without knowing both sides of the story. The number of times those “OMG! This awful human!” posts, tweets, instagrams, or whatever have turned out to be a lie, or an exaggeration at best, is quite frequent. I have know teachers who have lost jobs or still suffer from PTSD over these witch hunts.
Mob mentality. Instead of thinking for oneself, one joins a bandwagon. Scary stuff.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
should my 16 year old thoughts and actions be the standard for judging my thoughts and actions at 60 years old? god, noooooo. I was not grown nor experienced in the world at 16. I was a dumb kid.

cancel culture doesn't allow for a person's growth or changes and is very, very, very bad for society.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Mob mentality. Instead of thinking for oneself, one joins a bandwagon. Scary stuff.

Yes, when thinking for oneself is threatened by the far bigger mob on the way bigger and better equipped bandwagon.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:33 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Cancel culture is the equivalent of a scarlet letter. If you choose to remove a person's ability to support themselves because of things they said that you don't agree with then you are a puritan or the flagellant in the Spanish Inquisition. You are creating a less harmonious world all by yourself. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I think it is a terrible trend by the uptight New Victorians on the Left. They are really giving conservative Christians a run for their money in the social control stakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies