Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It's almost as though for 50 years, some have denied and acted like THEY are the victims, curious, isn't it?
Hell, it's happening in this very thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 07:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
We've had our sins thrown up in our faces for fifty years now. Is it not enough?

Well you are doing pretty good then! Just think if you actually had to pay a price for them...other than people bringing it up

Old 09-24-2019, 08:02 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
You're all just crazy street preachers, and we're doing our best to get home without being accosted by your bull**** or asked to tithe to your ridiculous causes. You all want to pray to the intersectional gods? Go for it, crazies. But please, hands off the children.
I might be willing to debate, and even agree with a point or two you brought up, if your response wasn't so childish and insulting.

And next time you comment on a thread, make sure you read the link in the OP. It has nothing to do with "children".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer68 View Post
I think privilege is too strong a word - advantage is more accurate. And I think class/wealth is much more of an advantage than race. A minority child growing up in an upper class neighborhood will have more/better opportunities than a white child growing up in a lower class environment.
I don't disagree with any of that. But "white privilege" is not solely based in economics. Several posters have illustrated this with multiple links and examples, but the concept is still sailing over everyone's heads.

There are plenty of other instances of privilege that aren't based on race - I could cite an example of me as a 24-year-old woman trying to buy a car and being treated differently by the same salesperson when my father was with me. Teenage boys are pulled over by the cops more frequently than teenage girls. Etc.

Quote:
That being said, I think whites do have a slight advantage over minorities if they come from the same environment.
There you go. You've just defined white ... advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There is probably some inherent benefit in being white, I suppose.
Bingo!

Quote:
I think they, the SJW types, are weaponizing that term. I know I'm getting tired of being browbeaten with it.
Fight back! Agree that being white can carry certain advantages. By simply acknowledging that it exists, you won't get browbeaten by it. It doesn't mean you're biased against anyone who isn't white. It doesn't obligate you to feeling guilty that you were born white. It doesn't mean that you need to treat a non-white person differently than you would a white person. Simple, isn't it.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:02 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
sometimes

No, but I'd prefer they did. Instead, I get spit on, stared at with hateful looks, hit, kicked, etc. I guess since I'm white I should be grateful people treat me that way since living like this with no friends and being a target is such a privilege and all.

Yes, I nearly bought a foreclosure in an all black neighborhood years ago. They refused to sell to me. While I was viewing the house, black people were staring at me from their porches, etc. I wasn't the racist. They were. It's okay for black communities to force whites out, but if whites try to keep their neighborhoods white then they are attacked for it.

Yes, I hear/read jokes about whites quite often. People often refer to whites as "racist" and such.

Yes. I have been attacked by police before when I was not committing any crime at all. Not only that, but police stood by while I was being attacked by my forced husband (a black man) like it was entertaining. I was a white girl, still a child when it began, being attacked by a black man. Where was my "white privilege" when I was being victimized by a black man? I learned the hard way how police are and that I cannot ever trust one to help me.

Then, because I was forced to be with one of them, I have been falsely accused for the past 27 years of "liking black men" and "wanting to be with a black man" and have had to live in solitude because white men leave as soon as they learn about my bi-racial daughter and my past. So, I am 43 years old and have never been even asked out on a date. Black men don't want dates. They saw my daughter and assumed I would have sex with them. So, I endured over a decade of sexual harassment by those things. It was already proven that if one of them rapes me the authorities will do nothing about it. Every time they accosted me I knew that I was in danger. So, I was forced to live in fear of a very real threat. It was clear that no one thought I had the right to say no or reject their kind in any way based upon what they did when it happened before. Their kind will ruin a person's life. I have had no justice. I was blamed for complaining about what happened to me. Even my current therapist made her displeasure with me known when I made the comment about how I wasn't attracted to black men after I complained about not ever being to get a boyfriend or a date because of being rejected because I'd been with a black man (forcibly).

If I'd been black and had a white person attack me then I'd at least get some sympathy from society. Because I am a white victim of a black man I am supposed to stay quiet and I have never once had any justice for what happened to me. Instead, years later, the authorities took my daughter from me and gave her to her biological father. They said she "needs to be in a black home to preserve her black culture." I had been harassed all those years I tried to raise her because of her skin color, and then the courts finally determined it was better for her to be with a rapist than her mother because her mother was not dark enough to raise her.

Yeah, I guess all that happened to me was a "privilege" that I should be grateful for. I should be ecstatic that I was raped hundreds of times over a three year period. I should be so glad that everyone knew but I was supposed to just keep my mouth shut and keep taking it. No one helped me. No one cared. People knew what he was doing. No one doubted it. They just did not care.
Well I am very sorry for your life experiences because they sound awful. I presume you are not from this country since you say you were forced to marry. Definitely not the norm in America. I recognize that a person in a mixed-race marriage can find themselves racially discriminated against from both whites and blacks. I wish the best for you and hope you get your daughter back.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I might be willing to debate, and even agree with a point or two you brought up, if your response wasn't so childish and insulting.

And next time you comment on a thread, make sure you read the link in the OP. It has nothing to do with "children".

I don't disagree with any of that. But "white privilege" is not solely based in economics. Several posters have illustrated this with multiple links and examples, but the concept is still sailing over everyone's heads.

There are plenty of other instances of privilege that aren't based on race - I could cite an example of me as a 24-year-old woman trying to buy a car and being treated differently by the same salesperson when my father was with me. Teenage boys are pulled over by the cops more frequently than teenage girls. Etc.

There you go. You've just defined white ... advantage.

Bingo!

Fight back! Agree that being white can carry certain advantages. By simply acknowledging that it exists, you won't get browbeaten by it. It doesn't mean you're biased against anyone who isn't white. It doesn't obligate you to feeling guilty that you were born white. It doesn't mean that you need to treat a non-white person differently than you would a white person. Simple, isn't it.

I agree with your post (not that you need my co-sign). However, I do not think that being white comes with "inherent" advantages. That implies some sort of inherent superiority. I think being white comes with socioeconomic advantages by virtue of majority rule....and not just numerical majority....but dollar majority, most importantly, as well.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:13 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Colleges and University seem mostly about pushing cultural marxist propaganda now, rather than teaching people critical thinking skills

Old 09-24-2019, 10:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I guess white privilege plays well among blacks who make up a disproportionate share of primary voters for the Democrats of course it is a huge negative in swing states.

When politicians keep bringing something up they have an again mind. One thing for certain is whites no longer have equal protection under the law and it would be even worse if not for the Supreme Court.

I know this if I video a black woman bitching at me for barbecuing at a park it won’t go viral.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM

Here is an example of white privilege in China

https://www.dmarge.com/2016/07/chine...te-people.html

The only reason that whites can recognize this privilege they have in China....because they are out of their water. They can't see it when its whites doing it.....but they can see it when its non-whites doing it.

There used to be an old saying among African Americans. "If a black man and a white man were both selling ice....black people would buy it from the white man because they would believe the white man's ice would be colder". There are still some blacks like that today. They think the white man's ice is colder, metaphorically speaking. That is a privilege just to be looked upon as "better" or superior....just because you are white. I imagine that has to be kind of a burden too.....to live up to. Kind of like expecting that a black person is good at basketball or can run faster simply because they are black.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:06 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
We've had our sins thrown up in our faces for fifty years now. Is it not enough?
What do you mean we? I'm not a democrat. Done blame conservatives for things the party of the klan does

Old 09-24-2019, 01:03 PM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is just like a fish saying..."where is all this WATER everyone is talking about? I don't see it". Ergo, there is no distinction in a fish's life know the difference. How do you know what water is when water is all there is?

Honestly? Get over it already.

White people don't need any introspection. They don't need to identify their privilege. All anyone can be expected to do in any society is to address disadvantage of others, when it's actually present and when it's actually a factor in a particular situation.

But, white people are already the only group on the planet that consistently evaluate their position vis-a-vis minorities.

Minorities fair better, are richer and have more power in white countries than they often do in countries where everyone looks like them.

Minority-majority countries are also (almost without exception) absolutely 100% worse places for racial, religious and sexual minorities than most all "white" countries on the planet.

From what I see, white people in America (and Europe) are tired of looking around and being the only adults in the room. The only ones held accountable while being the most fair and free and equitable places on earth for minorities of all kinds. The only ones being told that they are "too white"... or "not diverse enough," when nobody would say such crap to Japan, or Botswana or Saudi Arabia. The ones being called "racist" while "countries of color" remain absolute hell holes for minorities, and set up as ethnostates and theocracies.

Enough. These pathetic race victimology peddlers need to grow up. Get a new schtick.

And you white liberals? WHITE PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO YOU. Stop pretending that you are in unique positions to "teach" other whites because of your "privilege." Like Chelsea Handler thinking she's going to use her platform as a teaching moment. No. Sorry. Delusional.

White liberals, you are despised by the rest of white people in the way you THINK those white people despise minorities. But no. It's you. You're the ones universally despised. By POC AND the rest of white society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies