Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 02:13 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Too bad Noah, the prepper of all time, didn't leave a record of how he managed to prepare and stock a years worth of potable water for his entire family and every species of animals.
Clowning of Biblical parables aside, the story goes that G-d flooded the Earth with constant rain. Seems as if Noah, capable of building a boat that can hold all the animals of the land and air, would probably have been capable of building a rain water catch/collect system. Oh, and the story does include a bunch of Divine assistance as well, so there's that.

It is a parable/fable, but surprisingly, consistent with plot and the mechanics of the adventure itself.

Back on topic - the tale of Noah and your clowning does teach about CONTINUED survival past a stored goods point. At some point, replenishment will have to occur. Even serious preppers are stuck for an answer where replenishing supplies is concerned. Again, rural folks will giggle at this, since that is their daily existence, but for the vast majority of people living in the 1st World...where food and water comes from is so distant a thought it may as well be magic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 02:19 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It is what happens after years of millions of people fleeing to California for a more beautiful way of life and to secure a better paying job as well as for the weather that is usually easier to tolerate both winter and summer. Flyover country is blessed to not be a highly desirable place to live, so doesn't face such severe problems.
Ya, Denver or Chicago has never had a blizzard.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Clowning of Biblical parables aside, the story goes that G-d flooded the Earth with constant rain. Seems as if Noah, capable of building a boat that can hold all the animals of the land and air, would probably have been capable of building a rain water catch/collect system. Oh, and the story does include a bunch of Divine assistance as well, so there's that.

It is a parable/fable, but surprisingly, consistent with plot and the mechanics of the adventure itself.

Back on topic - the tale of Noah and your clowning does teach about CONTINUED survival past a stored goods point. At some point, replenishment will have to occur. Even serious preppers are stuck for an answer where replenishing supplies is concerned. Again, rural folks will giggle at this, since that is their daily existence, but for the vast majority of people living in the 1st World...where food and water comes from is so distant a thought it may as well be magic.
I don't need to think that far ahead. Government is doing it for me.

Look at how smooth things went right after Katrina when the most dependent on the government (low socio-economic class, poorly educated of all races) were back on their feet in a matter of minutes if not seconds after the storm cleared the area.

I for one was happy to see my tax dollars at work.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Apparently you need at 2 gallons of water per person per day for at least a week. For an average couple, that's 28 gallons of water.

That takes up a lot of space that people living in 400sf apartments may not have. Not to mention, the many other stockpiles that are recommended.

I suspect that's why a lot of people don't prep, not because they think it's loony.
Even if I wanted to prep here in greater L.A. I couldn't do so due to regulations/laws. I'm living here knowing full well that I'm not allowed to defend myself or property as well as prep for disasters to any reasonable level. I'm not happy about it but it's my choice.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:33 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
The people in California deal with earthquakes, mudslides, fires, Santa Anna winds. They are already "preppers" beyond what most people deal with.

Its kind of mean but I understand the power company point of view. They were supplying needed power. A transformer catches fire and burns down thousands of acres and homes. They get sued for billions. The next time fire conditions arise, they shut off the power to avoid additional irrational law suits. The people just might come to understand they can not have it both ways. Having power comes with responsibility and risk. You can not threaten to sue the people providing a service with some built in risk and then go ballistic when they minimize the risk.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
The people in California deal with earthquakes, mudslides, fires, Santa Anna winds. They are already "preppers" beyond what most people deal with.

Its kind of mean but I understand the power company point of view. They were supplying needed power. A transformer catches fire and burns down thousands of acres and homes. They get sued for billions. The next time fire conditions arise, they shut off the power to avoid additional irrational law suits. The people just might come to understand they can not have it both ways. Having power comes with responsibility and risk. You can not threaten to sue the people providing a service with some built in risk and then go ballistic when they minimize the risk.
PG&E sits at the table in Sacramento with the finest meats and cheeses...paid for by me at gunpoint.

There is where your outlook shows chinks in the armor.

Let's get rid of the government monopolies (for the sake of brevity...government as a whole ) and see if free market solutions from actual competition can't remedy the problem or at the very least alleviate it to a more palatable degree.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:22 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
The sky is falling!

Old 10-10-2019, 03:29 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
How many times has PG&E gone bankrupt? Repeatedly suing PG&E into bankruptcy does little to allow them to update power delivery systems that would reduce fires. However, ALL power sources can potentionally cause fires.

The latest bankruptcy was caused by the state suing PG&E for fires "caused" by their power lines (which provide power to CA).

CA is a tinder box. Anyone who has ever hiked in the Sierras can verify this; I have never seen so much dried "kindling" in forests anywhere.

Where did they go wrong? Zeal to control forest fires (which threaten urban areas) which have been happening for thousands of years and reduce the massive build up of dried wood which has fallen to the forest floor.

So CA has to ask themselves- do they want power or not? Also, does it make sense to drive a utility into bankruptcy multiple times and disrupt power distribution?

Why not (instead of spending billions on illegals) does CA not update their power grid and start burying lines (which would go a long way in reducing fires) and insure power delivery?
They have earthquakes. That's a no-go.

It needs to be above ground... they just need to maintain their lands.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:40 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,530,949 times
This story caught my attention in June: https://www.wired.com/story/triton-h...us-power-grid/

Quote:
Over the past several months, security analysts at the Electric Information Sharing and Analysis Center (E-ISAC) and the critical-infrastructure security firm Dragos have been tracking a group of sophisticated hackers carrying out broad scans of dozens of US power grid targets, apparently looking for entry points into their networks. Scanning alone hardly represents a serious threat. But these hackers, known as Xenotime—or sometimes as the Triton actor, after their signature malware—have a particularly dark history.
Quote:
Xenotime has probed the networks of at least 20 different US electric system targets, including every element of the grid from power generation plants to transmission stations to distribution stations. Their scanning ranged from searching for remote login portals to scouring networks for vulnerable features, such as the buggy version of Server Message Block exploited in the Eternal Blue hacking tool leaked from the NSA in 2017. "It's a combination of knocking on the door and trying a couple of doorknobs every once in a while," says Slowik.
There are a couple of maps of the North American power grid on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...nsmission_grid

I have wondered if hackers ever could disrupt power for an entire regional grid.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
This story caught my attention in June: https://www.wired.com/story/triton-h...us-power-grid/

There are a couple of maps of the North American power grid on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...nsmission_grid

I have wondered if hackers ever could disrupt power for an entire regional grid.
Anythings possible cyber security is something we work on all the time. Something we don't work on hard enough is a physical attack on the grid. California and PGE has had that already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

https://www.greentechmedia.com/artic...roof#gs.9egkee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies