Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

The trditiona definition, in my mind, is someone who has attained a level of higher education and a professional job and/or worked himself or herself into a powerful political and/or business position, regardless of educational achievement.

You lost me right there. Since when does educational achievement entitle someone to anything? You make it sound like being successful with minimal education is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 05:10 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Here is who is not a part of the elite:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...tpage-0616.jpg

July 17, 2015. The coverage began early, and often, and relentless.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The playmakers. Those who have the power to influence a great number of things, yet live by a second set of rules we don't have afforded to us. They're above the law. Supported by fanboys and fangirls who parrot that their pols of choice are above reproach, thus allowing them to get away with more than we would.

I don't think Trump is in this category. You have to have a wide network globally in the political arena. He's chump change when it comes to influencing anything. Think Clinton's, Soros, Pelosi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I second this.
It is those with power and wealth that live by a different set of rules than everyone else.
Insider Trading is illegal for most everyone but if your a politician or high roller in the finance sector, it gets ignored.

Your an elite if you can change market policies that stand in your way to more power and wealth by purchasing politicians.

Your an elite if you can break the law, hire an expensive lawyer and get off while most everyone else is screwed.

It is people not subject to the same rules as everyone else.
These two made me laugh. If you think that Trump is not an elite, you are completely blind. Both of these describe him perfectly. This really explains how you can support him: you just lift him out of the elite classification for no other reason but that you couldn't leave him in and still feel justified. Can you not see how you are fooling yourselves?

Old 10-13-2019, 05:39 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
"He's an outsider, he's not them, he's not part of the club, he's uncontrollable, he hasn't been through the initiation rites, he didn't belong to the secret society. They have no idea how to relate to him." -Newt Gingrich speaking about Trump on Fox News

http://www.infowars.com/gingrich-tru...t-of-the-club/

Old 10-13-2019, 06:41 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You lost me right there. Since when does educational achievement entitle someone to anything? You make it sound like being successful with minimal education is a bad thing.
No, that was not at all what I meant. When I say\id someone who has attained success regardless of educational achievement, that is what I mean - success whether they had any particular level of education. I certainly apologize if it came out otherwise.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
In contemportary political discourse, what does it mean to be a member of the "elite"?

I ask this in all seriousness, because I don't beleive we have a common definition.

The trditiona definition, in my mind, is someone who has attained a level of higher education and a professional job and/or worked himself or herself into a powerful political and/or business position, regardless of educational achievement. It is being in the top X% of society, measured by social, economic and power indicators.
The "traditional definition" was OLD MONEY and FAMILY STATUS.
None of it had anything at all to do with Education.

Quote:
I'm just not sure that is what the term "elite" means in popular political discourse in the U.S. Trump is obviously the one that comes to mind here. He consistenyl criticies the "elite" and eparates himself from them. But by most traditional measures, he would seem to be the definition of "elite".
The "elite" in politics are those that are the Deciders. They have Political Power, which may be position, may be networking, may be Money, may be Status. They don't have to come from Old Money.
These Political Elites have POWER - they can make things happen .... if they choose to.
They are above the Law.

Quote:
Most people characterize Warren as "elite", which I would agree with based on my traditional vie of the definition. She wasa professor at HArvard, has achieved a certain amount of personal wealth and has power as a member of Congress. However, she is from fairly humble beginnings. In my view, the beginnings aren't as imortant as where you are at a given time, but on balance you would think someone who was born into a wealthy and powerful family would be more "elite" than one who was not.

This is not intended as a partisan post. I would throw out the Kennedys as a prime example of elite. I just get the sense that the term has morphed into a term alluding to a political stance that people associate with higher education and less about the more traditional social-economic inidcators of the term.
The Kennedy Family is the epitome of "Elite" on all levels. MONEY, POWER above the Law.
Warren is just somebody who learned how to Play the Game ..... and she is not well liked by the current "Elite".

Quote:
IS it simply an evolution in meaning of the term? If it still means someone who is in the upper X% of society in terms of achievement, why is it consered a negiative thing?
Let's view some of the current "Political Elites" and see what makes them "Elite".

1. Paul Ryan -- no family social status or wealth. He gained his "elite" by acquiring Power,
2. Mitt Romney - Social Status and Wealth + Political Power - He is an example of current Political Elite
3. Nancy Pelosi - Chicago native, Family MOB connections - which channelled to both Power & Money
4. The Kennedy Family - Social Elites, Wealth and they pushed that into the White House & still are doing that,
5. Mitch McConnell ..... can't say, I've not looked - BUT, I had a good friend years ago from Kentucky and from what she used to say about her GranDaddy - He was the "Elite" on all levels in Kentucky.
I asked her if he was in Politics (she talked like he was the Governor) - she laughed and said oh no - he just decided WHO will be the Governor and the Senators, and all the other elected officials.
6. Donald Trump -- new money, brash, crass but Money is Money and they all courted him while looking down on him.
7. The Clintons - no Family Money, nothing "Elite" about them - BUT, nobody played the game better.
New Money and enormous POWER. A force they all fear
8.Joe Biden - no money, no status - but lot's of ambition. Learned to play the game and while I don't think he "cashed in" for himself - he couldn't help himself when it came to his deeply flawed only living son.
9. Barak Obama was never Elite in any way and never will be. He is an entirely different category.
Used, and User.
10. Political Elite behind the scenes players - some are Old Money, some are New Money. All have extreme Power and use it to ensnare Politicians - which have to do their bidding to keep the Campaign Money going so they can keep their Power.

Those are examples of Political Elites and all true .... BUT, the most "Political Elite" of all are those that REALLY run Government - the vast Bureaucracy. President's come and go - both Parties. CongressCritters come and go - both Parties. Who remains to run literally everything? Who can't be fired? Who tells all the Politicians how to do their jobs and writes all their Legislations? Who writes all the "Rules" that actually enforce the "outline" Laws that the lazy CongressCritters pass?

The 100's of 1,000's of Careerists in our Federal Government run Washington D.C.
THEY are the "Political Elite".

Old 10-13-2019, 08:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
These two made me laugh. If you think that Trump is not an elite, you are completely blind. Both of these describe him perfectly. This really explains how you can support him: you just lift him out of the elite classification for no other reason but that you couldn't leave him in and still feel justified. Can you not see how you are fooling yourselves?
Go back and read it in context. Do you really think he gets a $500,000 check for his birthday from the Saudi's? Do you think he has any influence on leaders around the world? He doesn't have the connections a lifetime politician does.

That doesn't mean he's one of the people - it means his clout his limited.

By the way, I'm not trying to protect him - I've said several times I can't stand the guy.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
It's not. Pretty much everyone is a member of the elite in national politics. What's bad is to be too elite. Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders are okay, except for some die hard class warfare types, as relatively modest millionaires. Mitt Romney was too elite as he was in the 100+ millionaire club. It didn't help that a significant portion of his assets were squirreled away in various offshore tax shelters but really it was just that he was too elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies