Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you think you can just remove 800 000 workers from the workforce and not have any kind of impact?

It would have an impact. Employers would be impacted,and many of these guys are employers themselves, so their employees would be impacted. It would also have an impact on the mortgage market, rental market, consumer spending etc, not to mention the 200 000 kids who are 100% US Citizens. Many of them are married to US spouses, who will end up in welfare once the head of the household is eliminated from the picture.

I am not saying it can't be done, but there are consequences, and those things need to be considered. I am glad the SC is doing the thinking since the Trump admin obviously did not, and his loyalists couldnt care less.
it's 700,000. and your own article said almost a 1/4 million (250,000) kids. and what is the tripe about welfare and head of household? You're saying the DACA recipients, male and female, are the only ones working in their marriages? Or that they're the primary breadwinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 02:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's 700,000. and your own article said almost a 1/4 million (250,000) kids. and what is the tripe about welfare and head of household? You're saying the DACA recipients, male and female, are the only ones working in their marriages? Or that they're the primary breadwinner?
Many households have both spouses working and when Trump eliminates one, then the survivor would probably require public assistance.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Land is not worthless. Try figuring out what that land is worth today.
Yeah, I’ll have my 10 year old daughter draw you a picture, maybe it will be worth something in a couple hundred years.

The land was worthless back then, which is all that matters. How much was it worth if they had to actually give it away to get people to move there?

The point being, they weren’t charging the citizens a dime, in order to give that land away, unlike the cost of our social programs today.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I bet many of the same people harping on taxes were fine when Trump gave a trillion dollars to rich people. Just another intellectually dishonest argument. This is still about nativism and nothing else.
first, the law that was passed didn't give a trillion dollars to rich people. over the ensuing 10 years, it could provide $1T of tax relief to ALL taxpayers. Lastly, it's key to understand the difference between "giving money" and "taking less money".

But that's WAY off topic.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The land was worthless back then, which is all that matters. How much was it worth if they had to actually give it away to get people to move there?
So, you think people left everything behind in Europe and came to US for something totally worthless. All righty then.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:52 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
So, you think people left everything behind in Europe and came to US for something totally worthless. All righty then.
That is not what I said. I said they didn’t charge the current citizens anything to have the new immigrants in the county. Who cares what the government gave people as long as it didn’t come out of anyone else’s pocket at the time. It was unused land to the west, out in the middle of nowhere.

They gave away the land so that the potential northern farmers could compete with the southern farms run by slave owners. So it’s not like they were saying “Hey you are white so I want to give you a present.” In fact it was quite the opposite, to move toward bringing down slavery. And Black people were eligible for the land as well.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:05 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
first, the law that was passed didn't give a trillion dollars to rich people. over the ensuing 10 years, it could provide $1T of tax relief to ALL taxpayers. Lastly, it's key to understand the difference between "giving money" and "taking less money".

But that's WAY off topic.
And it certainly had nothing to do with "nativism" as the poster claimed.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about millions? Senate passed the bill with bi-partisan votes.
It was amnesty for millions of illegal aliens if you are referring to the Gang of Eight bill.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That is not what I said. I said they didn’t charge the current citizens anything to have the new immigrants in the county. Who cares what the government gave people as long as it didn’t come out of anyone else’s pocket at the time. It was unused land to the west, out in the middle of nowhere.
It was a hand out. You might as well argue handing out current federal land wouldn't cost anything. I'll take Yosemite, if everyone is ok with it. And as I mentioned the investment in the railroads and military cost money.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, I comprehend it just fine.

550K in end of 2016 when Trump took office.
1+ million today

You do the math.

No clue why you'd pick some other year from the past. Might as well pick one from the 1980s when we had even more than now that Trump is importing them.
No, 550,000 at the end of 2014. Here's the chart again. Read the numbers for 2014 compared to 2019 and stop this already.

Trump is importing illegal aliens? Huh?

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies