Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 09:43 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's probably why the US has a murder and incarceration rate that's the envy of every Western nation. Good thinking.
Look up the statistics by "ethnic group", and you'll discover the real reason for your observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
The problem with this is modern day 'common sense', Govt has brainwashed so many people into thinking 'common sense' restrictions on guns is a good thing for everyones safety!! Far too many people have allowed themselves to be duped by this tactic.

In my opinion, the people lost all hope when they agreed to the ban on automatics made after 1986 IF we ever needed to remove a govt from power, the people are going to need automatic weapons and newer than 1986 models. LOL ( I bet law enforcement and the military has automatics made after 1986).

Id like to know where the patriotism is, in regards to automatic weapons today...NO patriot is going to comply with Govt and obtain their class 3 license, pay the fees, etc (that is infringement btw). This also applies to gun dealers, many dealers like to talk like they are patriotic, but lets see a few that are selling full automatics to citizens (now that would be real patriotism, refusing to comply with unconstitutional laws)...its funny how everyone seems to make excuses to justify obeying and complying with the laws on automatics...Can anyone tell me why that is?

Old 12-30-2019, 08:14 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The problem with this is modern day 'common sense', Govt has brainwashed so many people into thinking 'common sense' restrictions on guns is a good thing for everyones safety!! Far too many people have allowed themselves to be duped by this tactic.

In my opinion, the people lost all hope when they agreed to the ban on automatics made after 1986 IF we ever needed to remove a govt from power, the people are going to need automatic weapons and newer than 1986 models. LOL ( I bet law enforcement and the military has automatics made after 1986).

Id like to know where the patriotism is, in regards to automatic weapons today...NO patriot is going to comply with Govt and obtain their class 3 license, pay the fees, etc (that is infringement btw). This also applies to gun dealers, many dealers like to talk like they are patriotic, but lets see a few that are selling full automatics to citizens (now that would be real patriotism, refusing to comply with unconstitutional laws)...its funny how everyone seems to make excuses to justify obeying and complying with the laws on automatics...Can anyone tell me why that is?
Cuz full autos are SCARY! NOBODY but police (cough) and the military needs them. Before 1938 you could buy a 1928 Thomson at your corner hardware store. And yes, of course criminals used them.

Criminals who would not have been so organized and wide scale if not for the Volstead act. And again as now the big crime was in the big cities. Chicago (cough again) being the biggy of the bigs.

I personally dont care or have a use for full auto, at this time, but I would certainly not be above having something stashed in my stowed gear. I'm not even close to being alone in that take.

Thing is through our history the citizens have always had what the military had. At least for standard issue small arms. The M 14 and 16 changed that because of the 1938 act. But we still have had the same thing in semi auto only which has been accepted as amicable.

We have acquiesced to that restriction for some time now making it acceptable by default. Is it truly Constitutional? No. But it has become the norm.

To change that back to pre 1938 rules would be...problematic...now. Mores the pity.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

The government does not get to decide what arms I can keep or bear. We didn't submit to telling them "small arms" of the governments choice. We told the government... We will keep & bear arms. You decide what arms you will bear. Not government, or the entire purpose of the 2nd amendment is defeated.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:46 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's probably why the US has a murder and incarceration rate that's the envy of every Western nation. Good thinking.
That has everything to do with population demographics. Soon, northern Europe will "enjoy" higher crime rates and incarceration rates with the influx of muslim immigrants.

It is the "benefit" of diversity.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Cuz full autos are SCARY! NOBODY but police (cough) and the military needs them. Before 1938 you could buy a 1928 Thomson at your corner hardware store. And yes, of course criminals used them.

Criminals who would not have been so organized and wide scale if not for the Volstead act. And again as now the big crime was in the big cities. Chicago (cough again) being the biggy of the bigs.

I personally dont care or have a use for full auto, at this time, but I would certainly not be above having something stashed in my stowed gear. I'm not even close to being alone in that take.

Thing is through our history the citizens have always had what the military had. At least for standard issue small arms. The M 14 and 16 changed that because of the 1938 act. But we still have had the same thing in semi auto only which has been accepted as amicable.

We have acquiesced to that restriction for some time now making it acceptable by default. Is it truly Constitutional? No. But it has become the norm.

To change that back to pre 1938 rules would be...problematic...now. Mores the pity.
If that is how you see it, then people would eventually get used to NEW or tougher restrictions.

This mindset, that its 'the norm' to accept that the public cannot own 1986+ automatics is a BIG part of the problem...the Constitution of this country says WE CAN OWN these weapons!

This just proves what I said in my other post, people use this to justify compliance and obedience with the laws on automatics, they may go around talking about how patriotic they are but in reality, they are fully compliant with the govts laws at all times...thats not exactly 'patriotism'.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Great quote from Walter Williams, quoting a friend:
Quote:
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."
Love that.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
If that is how you see it, then people would eventually get used to NEW or tougher restrictions.

This mindset, that its 'the norm' to accept that the public cannot own 1986+ automatics is a BIG part of the problem...the Constitution of this country says WE CAN OWN these weapons!

This just proves what I said in my other post, people use this to justify compliance and obedience with the laws on automatics, they may go around talking about how patriotic they are but in reality, they are fully compliant with the govts laws at all times...thats not exactly 'patriotism'.
The Constitution was written before we had 6-shooters for God's sake. The founding fathers didn't know we'd still use the Constitution and think of it as Verboten to change and alter it. It has only been altered an additional 16 times since the Bill of Rights. One of which was to repeal an unpopular amendment.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM

1,406 posts, read 802,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The Constitution was written before we had 6-shooters for God's sake. The founding fathers didn't know we'd still use the Constitution and think of it as Verboten to change and alter it. It has only been altered an additional 16 times since the Bill of Rights. One of which was to repeal an unpopular amendment.
They didn't know we'd have the internet either and be capable of reaching millions, even billions, of people with a couple of mouse clicks, yet here we are.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
They didn't know we'd have the internet either and be capable of reaching millions, even billions, of people with a couple of mouse clicks, yet here we are.
The point is guns were single shot with rather long reload/reshoot times, not the guns of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies