Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 05:15 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Wondering how all those reopen protestors feel now, looks like Whitmer made the right decisions.
The decision she and her husband made to be absolute hypocrites?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ch/3146244001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 05:37 AM

57,366 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The decision she and her husband made to be absolute hypocrites?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ch/3146244001/
The decision to be careful reopening and following the guidelines that were criticized by these protestors and Trump himself. Things could have been much worse in Michigan without her leadership, its not easy making unpopular decisions some people only want to hear good news.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:11 AM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The decision to be careful reopening and following the guidelines that were criticized by these protestors and Trump himself. Things could have been much worse in Michigan without her leadership, its not easy making unpopular decisions some people only want to hear good news.
I will retract part of my earlier comments. I think that 80% of Whitmer and Cuomo did was good. Perhaps they should have locked down as far as what ultimately became (NY's) Phase 1. In other words left construction and curbside retail pickup open. Maybe we should have, in addition to "Phase 1" rules allowed offices and business to operate at 10-25% of capacity. Also, low impact sports such as tennis should have remained allowed. Trust me, if you get within six feet of me during a tennis game you have worse problems than coronoavirus transmission, from the swing of my racket. I think Whitmer's segmenting off "essential" and "non-essential" parts of the same store may have gone a bit far as well as her ban on "non-essential" travel, and visits to neighbors.

I tentatively see the wisdom of some of the actions, even though my gut tells me that the disease crashes through an area pretty much regardless of what we do, does its damage and, like New York, leaves. I suspect in hindsight that will turn out to be the case but an executive does not have the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited by jbgusa; 06-26-2020 at 06:21 AM..

Old 06-26-2020, 06:52 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,612,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I will retract part of my earlier comments. I think that 80% of Whitmer and Cuomo did was good. Perhaps they should have locked down as far as what ultimately became (NY's) Phase 1. In other words left construction and curbside retail pickup open. Maybe we should have, in addition to "Phase 1" rules allowed offices and business to operate at 10-25% of capacity. Also, low impact sports such as tennis should have remained allowed. Trust me, if you get within six feet of me during a tennis game you have worse problems than coronoavirus transmission, from the swing of my racket. I think Whitmer's segmenting off "essential" and "non-essential" parts of the same store may have gone a bit far as well as her ban on "non-essential" travel, and visits to neighbors.

I tentatively see the wisdom of some of the actions, even though my gut tells me that the disease crashes through an area pretty much regardless of what we do, does its damage and, like New York, leaves. I suspect in hindsight that will turn out to be the case but an executive does not have the benefit of hindsight.
Overall a good post.

I would add:

1) Closing passive recreation like trails was beyond idiotic.
2) The elitism of Murphy and Whitmer is beyond grating and does not help in getting people to behave.
3) Party season with the young who do not generally feel the affects is not helping things.
4) Take it from me who has been in a mask state for months. If you are just getting your mask requirements. INVEST in comfortable cloth masks. The ones you will get from work will be beyond awful to wear for 5 minutes never mind 8 hours.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:01 PM

35,124 posts, read 17,087,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Overall a good post.

I would add:

1) Closing passive recreation like trails was beyond idiotic.
2) The elitism of Murphy and Whitmer is beyond grating and does not help in getting people to behave.
3) Party season with the young who do not generally feel the affects is not helping things.
4) Take it from me who has been in a mask state for months. If you are just getting your mask requirements. INVEST in comfortable cloth masks. The ones you will get from work will be beyond awful to wear for 5 minutes never mind 8 hours.
I consider shutting down outdoor tennis courts and running tracks to be punishment. Both running and tennis are conducted more than six feet apart, and very rarely played by Covid-19 sufferers. This amounts to an effort to punish the population for the sin of affluence. See the Club of Rome report, written over a period between 1968 and 1972, affiliated with MIT (link). This punitive ideology has been kicking around for a while.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:16 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,752,406 times
Good for them! I don’t see any weapons there and the crowd is tiny compared to the storming of the Madison Capitol by democrats awhile ago that was cheered and applauded. Our government should fear the people and not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies