Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 AM

14,980 posts, read 9,900,058 times

Advertisements

I'm OK with tee shirts and trinkets from china. However... It's important that the quality of American made products be better and that's hard to tell, in the short term.

What I find is, the manufacturing process in china is "capable" but the materials are inferior. So the product looks good, seems to work OK and then fails under normal extended usage. Inferior materials is hard to detect for the average person.

That's my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 05:28 AM

474 posts, read 476,537 times
I have found items made from plastics from China to be especially poor quality. They tend to break very easily. I guess they price them so cheap that people won't mind having to buy 2-3 of the same item. I'd love to see American manufacturing make a comeback. If people will, in fact, pay more for better quality perhaps there is an opening for our manufacturers to get back in the game. I spent 25 years working as a plastic injection mold maker but eventually got out of that business. Before I got out I was spending most of my time repairing foreign built molds that were basically junk.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:36 AM

26,115 posts, read 13,104,699 times
I'd like to see retailers demand from suppliers that packaging more clearly marks the country of origin on the front of every package, & on the price tag. Right now, it's too hidden, so you have to go looking for it. I take the time to go looking for it if its a large purchase, but not a $12 kitchen widget, or piece of hardware.

I did appraciate a recent post advising us that the bar codes of 690-695 are made in China.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,823,718 times
What's stopping people from doing it then? Plenty of American made options if you look.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,806,460 times
Quote:
Most Americans Say They Would Pay More for Products NOT Made in China
Many people say lot of things, but don't follow through when the choice is to pay $20 or $30 for a pair of shorts.

The "Buy American" line was repeated to no end after the economic meltdown 10 years ago, but people kept choosing the cheaper products.

As for more expensive things like cars, the US made cars are not up to par compared to European and Japaneses ones, and no one likes the headache of having to take the car to the shop all the time.

The Trump admin is trying to force people to buy American goods by raising the price of imported goods, but that is NOT free market capitalism. That is government ran economy.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 AM

39,932 posts, read 26,641,877 times
We're doing the same here. Our dish washer is on it's last legs, researched for a replacement built here. BTW, Bosch has great reviews and builds most of their models (including the one we bought) in the US.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,717,021 times
You might buy USA made. I might buy USA made. Average Americans won't. It is all about purchasing power. It goes down if we buy more expensive goods. It is easy to cherry-pick one thing like "I bought this American made exercise bike or these kitchen utensils." But on the whole, we buy foreign-made goods.

I've been hearing this "buy American!" for more than twenty years. It is a lot of talk. Once people realize that it will cost them a whole lot more to buy American, they don't do it.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 AM

3,770 posts, read 1,534,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
I think most Americans say they would pay more for products made in America. That being said, if they're in a store with two similar products, one made in the USA and one made in China, they will tend to choose the lower priced option regardless of Country of Origin. However, this virus may change things, who knows. It will take a lot of changing though, try going into a WalMart and finding a non-food item that was manufactured in the USA.
yup, they say they will but in reality, they won't.
especially since most don't even have $500 in the bank.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,806,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We're doing the same here. Our dish washer is on it's last legs, researched for a replacement built here. BTW, Bosch has great reviews and builds most of their models (including the one we bought) in the US.
Sure, it is cheaper for the Germans to import the parts and assemble them in US rather than shipping them as whole (takes a lot of space), and at the same time it gives them access to the Canadian and Mexican markets. The Germans are perfectly fine with this arrangement, because it increases their profits. No one there wants those jobs back in Germany, because they can focus on higher paying jobs.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,964,235 times
I already did. Paid $30 for a shovel labeled "Made in USA". I now try to look at every item I purchase. If it says made in China, I put it back. We dont need govt action to punish China. We can all participate. If we stop buying stuff made in China, the manufacturers will have them made someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies