Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
You can't demand people be empathetic to your pain when your pain is selective.

Only the most deranged white liberals can rationalize that thought process.

Should you have empathy for the white people who feel that they are living under constant personal attack from inter-personal violence at the hands of black people? Would you consider their fear and pain valid? Do you empathize with their perspective?
If you don't have empathy for a person who is being choked out of life, your neighbors should be warned because that is psychopathic behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 09:58 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm a white man borne of a middle-class family with both parents.

I can realize and acknowledge that I'm WAY toward the top of the inherent privilege scale in the US without feeling guilty about it. I can work toward correcting/mitigating that inherent privilege without feeling guilty.

If someone feels guilty, perhaps they have something to feel guilty about? I dunno.
If you feel so privileged what are you personally willing to sacrifice to correct it? No one is forcing you to be so fortunate, you can give up enough to make things more equal.

If you have a privileged 401K, cash it in and give it to a black single parent family.

BTW, middle class from an intact family isn't privileged.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Who isn't empathetic to the family of George, for what that cop did to him? I have not met anyone who does not think that cop mistreated George, or that his actions most likely caused George's death. I feel that if George had encountered any other police officer in Minnesota, he'd be alive and well today.

Geez, you people just make up these alternate realities, based on wild assumptions that people are not empathetic to what happened. Get over yourself, you are in a room all by yourself, lashing out at imaginary figments of your own imagination.
It's not just empathy for George, it's empathy for any African-American who has been unfairly harassed by the police or shot for jogging or had the police called on them because they said "hey, can you leash your dog".

Do you have empathy for them?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
These are liberals stoking the flames against white people to incite a race war.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I have seen it in facebook posts and in the national and local media. Never heard the term "white people". You just aren't paying attention.
So some random crackpots on social media are making you paranoid/angry?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:02 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
If you don't have empathy for a person who is being choked out of life, your neighbors should be warned because that is psychopathic behavior.

Don't deflect. Everyone has empathy for George. This was a moment squandered by the BLM crowd, btw.

I am asking you: Do black people have empathy only for George Floyd? Only for those killed by white cops?

White America has a PRESENT DAY problem with being victimized by minorities at rates that are disproportionate. This causes them to fear black inter-personal violence, which is demonstrable. Do you empathize with the white community's feelings in this regard? Do you empathize with someone who says blacks must atone in general for their PRESENT DAY actions against whites at large?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,562,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
BTW, middle class from an intact family isn't privileged.
You have to look at it from the perspective of our neo-Marxist friends on the left, if you are middle class, you are more privileged than the poor, thus you are an oppressor, if you are from an intact family, you are more privileged than those from broken families or those without families, thus you are an oppressor.

Our neo-Marxist friends on the left really are simple minded enough to see things as a binary like that. Try to show some sympathy for them.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess I will go there "there" now - because I have had this thought for awhile. I'm just going to tell the truth.

Part of this is white folks part because you have never dealt with it. You (collectively) passively sat by while this kept growing and growing.

A few white people tried to do something and sound the alarm on this - but they were labeled as crazy and racist and shoved in the corner by both white folk and black folk.

Drew Brees had an excellent opportunity to stand firm, hold his ground, and start a real discussion. He wimped out.

Limbaugh had an interview with the Breakfast Club last week. We will see where that goes.

But at some point, the truth is going to have to be accepted if any real problem solving will take place. As far as white people go, you are going to have to stop shoving the truth under the carpet.

What's the truth? Chauvin and others should be held accountable for their deeds. If you are not guilty, don't buy in to a guilty mindset.

There are other nuances of this issue out there IMO - this is only a part of the problem.

This might not be the best example since white people are joining in peaceful protests across the country and speaking out against what Chauvin did.

Even here, I think white posters are split no more than 10% defending Chauvin and 90% indicting him.

What more is needed?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:04 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,562,333 times
Quote:
So some random crackpots on social media are making you paranoid/angry?
It's not "random crackpots on social media", perhaps you never went to college, or did so a VERY long time ago, but the entire basis for numerous liberal arts disciplines is that "whiteness" is the greatest evil in the world.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:05 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times
Quote:
It's not just empathy for George, it's empathy for any African-American who has been unfairly harassed by the police or shot for jogging or had the police called on them because they said "hey, can you leash your dog".

Do you have empathy for them?
You don't get it. All races are harassed by police. And no one was shot "for jogging".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies