Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 AM

3,648 posts, read 1,602,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What makes it racist?

I wouldn't say it's racist. I would say it's culturally insensitive. Or a cultural insult. Minorities often have names considered unusual to Caucasian culture.

I had never heard the name Obama before. And to introduce Obama to the country dems would lightheartedly and purposely mispronounce his name. I had never heard Condelezza before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I have a Hawaiian name similar to Kamala’s name. It’s been mangled and botched my entire life. People have even taken it upon themselves to abbreviate it (without asking if I mind or not). I’ve gotten over it; my best guess is that Kamala has, too.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:43 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Only an ignorant bigot wouldn't think the repeated mocking of an ethnic name not common in the white Anglo-Saxon Christian community would think such an action was not bigoted.
OK. But again, bigoted is not the same as racist. It is a much more broad definition than racism. Bigoted means you are intolerant of something different than yourself. It could be racism, it could be xenophobia, or it could be intolerance of people who think differently than you do. I think everybody is bigoted to some degree, but I dont think everybody is racist.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:46 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Bullies do not see any distinctions, whatever works, they are just weak human beings and haters and so are racists. The fact that they think they can get away with it is evidence of racism, an attitude of entitlement. It had Worked just fine for so long and they cannot stand it that they are now being called out for what it is, racism. And yes some of their racist constituents are thrilled to see racist behavior from the elected officials who hold power. They elect them every time. All Americans are not racists, that’s why they are Democrats.

You know what? I know several conservative Republicans who are absolutely not racist. I know some Democrats who absolutely are.

Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:47 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
https://www.ajc.com/politics/david-p...JUX5YIDYOYZ6Y/

Unlike the incident in Arizona that has people commenting, this one is the actual Senator running for reelection, not a staffer

And of course, rather than apologizing at Mark Kelly has done, Perdue's staff doubled down and suggested it didn't mean anything for him to deliberately mispronounce the name of the first Black and East Indian female Vice Presidential nominee - who has also been his Senate colleague for several years
C’mon man! Here’s the deal: Someone as sleazy and arrogant as Harris doesn’t deserve any respect just because of skin color. A creep is a creep regardless of race.
You’re welcome.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:48 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
You know what? I know several conservative Republicans who are absolutely not racist. I know some Democrats who absolutely are.

Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.
Jack Nicholson fan?

Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
Quote:
https://www.ajc.com/politics/david-p...JUX5YIDYOYZ6Y/

Unlike the incident in Arizona that has people commenting, this one is the actual Senator running for reelection, not a staffer

And of course, rather than apologizing at Mark Kelly has done, Perdue's staff doubled down and suggested it didn't mean anything for him to deliberately mispronounce the name of the first Black and East Indian female Vice Presidential nominee - who has also been his Senate colleague for several years
Well did Joe apologize..he said her name wrong..or wait he is a democrat....get over it

Old 10-17-2020, 08:23 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Typical ignorance. People who are uncultured do those kinds of things.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that racist Trumpers are fine with a racist GOP Senator deliberately and dismissively mispronouncing a Senate colleague's name. Again the Senator himself, not a staffer, who has subsequently apologized and been disciplined by the candidate whereas Perdue's campaign has doubled down

And yes, anyone who can't acknowledge this was racist is in fact racist themselves. That's just reality. It wasn't someone stumbling over a name, it was full on racist, designed to appeal to racist supporters. The GOP has long since left dog whistles behind, and gone with full on overt and explicit bigotry and that seems to not bother Trump voters in the slightest.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that racist Trumpers are fine with a racist GOP Senator deliberately and dismissively mispronouncing a Senate colleague's name. Again the Senator himself, not a staffer, who has subsequently apologized and been disciplined by the candidate whereas Perdue's campaign has doubled down

And yes, anyone who can't acknowledge this was racist is in fact racist themselves. That's just reality. It wasn't someone stumbling over a name, it was full on racist, designed to appeal to racist supporters. The GOP has long since left dog whistles behind, and gone with full on overt and explicit bigotry and that seems to not bother Trump voters in the slightest.
Jesus. Take a break from proselytizing from your ivory tower ... please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies