Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:57 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

Thanks, noljos, for not assuming what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Intolerably rude.

This type of flippant comment not only denigrates President Bush but all those Americans with an Southern accent as well. Not okay.

Media has made much sport of his personalized interpretation of, and missteps with, the language, but he is a graduate of Yale and certainly fluent in English. As my students would say, "Don't be a hater".
Who was denigrating those with southern accents?

I don't think it's too much to ask of a president to have mastery over the English language. "Is the children learning?" I mean, c'mon- this man is the face that we show the world. As an English teacher, I'm sure you would appreciate that face being able to properly conjugate verbs, no?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:50 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
I think his speech writer works for the dems!!!!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Exactly, mb. ..."is your children learning"... I mean, come on. Also the fact that he went to Yale underlines the issue even more. If he went to a community college, it would be more forgiveable. I don't consider going to Yale a great achievement for someone who grew up in a dynasty. As Maureen Dowd mentioned, yes he went to Yale, and used the cowboy hat as a joke, yet another fabricated part of the image. Cannot believe people fall for the PR he is just an average good ol'southern boy-lol. Oldest PR trick in the book.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Exactly, mb. ..."is your children learning"... I mean, come on. Also the fact that he went to Yale underlines the issue even more. If he went to a community college, it would be more forgiveable. I don't consider going to Yale a great achievement for someone who grew up in a dynasty. As Maureen Dowd mentioned, yes he went to Yale, and used the cowboy hat as a joke, yet another fabricated part of the image. Cannot believe people fall for the PR he is just an average good ol'southern boy-lol. Oldest PR trick in the book.
The first time I was exposed to Dubya on TV, the first thing I thought was "What's up with the stupid fake cowboy thing?" It was the first signal of many to come that Bush was, pardon the pun, all hat and no cattle.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:30 PM

lmao!!!!!!! The last time I watched was the debate in 2004/..."it's hard work".... I work in PR and frankly it seems like the cowboy thing did exactly what they calculated it would do. Imagine Cheney trying to pull that off-lol.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
lmao!!!!!!! The last time I watched was the debate in 2004/..."it's hard work".... I work in PR and frankly it seems like the cowboy thing did exactly what they calculated it would do. Imagine Cheney trying to pull that off-lol.
Cheney doing the cowboy thing would be pretty tough to do without surgery to remove that permanent sneer from his face...

Old 12-31-2006, 04:34 PM

454 posts, read 906,371 times
Quote:
http://www.correntewire.com/bush_tyr..._open_at_gitmo - 22k -

to be fair, I think I remembered Chris Matthews mentioning it, and you could be right about Buchanan.
I think we need to go to part duex.

The link you give is a blog, it talks about gitmo, GW, and is basically saying we are heading toward a Hitler state. The blogger uses the term peasants and pitchforks, but does not even attribute it to Bush or Buchanan.

Also, a "I think someone said it" does not rise to any level of credibility when asked for proof.

So, I will be kind and assume that this was only a quick attempt to substantiate your claim.

I respect your title as a moderator, but I push this because I expect a level of integrity backed with solid fact that is worthy of the title.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:17 PM

238 posts, read 669,079 times
NOT THAT WHAT I HAVE TO SAY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS ,

1. i only supported going after asuma been forgotten , not anyone else!

2. i'm more scared of northern korea- even the girls are bad ass

3. i do not think they really killed hussein (sp?)

4. why the hell are they (gov) not paying attention to what is going on here in the usa!

5.i did not vote for him ~

6. thank you to all the troops over seas, i say to bring you guys and gals home and let them kill themselves , there will be no peace over there. bushy needs to admit he was wrong wrong wrong!

7. hell no i do not feel SAFER - the master mind is still running foot loose and fancy free ............

Old 12-31-2006, 05:33 PM

Lightbulb Part deux-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
I think we need to go to part duex.

The link you give is a blog, it talks about gitmo, GW, and is basically saying we are heading toward a Hitler state. The blogger uses the term peasants and pitchforks, but does not even attribute it to Bush or Buchanan.

Also, a "I think someone said it" does not rise to any level of credibility when asked for proof.

So, I will be kind and assume that this was only a quick attempt to substantiate your claim.

I respect your title as a moderator, but I push this because I expect a level of integrity backed with solid fact that is worthy of the title.

Ok, dufferz, I DO have integrity, unlike some (above posters) who put words in the mouths of others. This is obviously a divisive issue. Yes, gitmo is on the periphery, but it is still a scandal. I also think it is disgusting for a man who rises to the level GWB has with no talent, PR and connections from Dad. In business, great. In government, it is disgusting. Anyone who visited New Orleans after Katrina, and laughs(!) and talks about how he used to party there is a disgrace. I have a sister in law w/8 kids who lost their homes and children- Bush was NOT looked at favorably. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies