Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 05:17 PM

18,759 posts, read 7,669,153 times

Advertisements

Do we all have a social credit score now?

Don't know about here. But China certainly does. So Joe Biden has a structured and forceful model to follow if he wants to... or if he is "asked" to.

Though not as advanced (if that's what it is) as China, the U.S. is already well on its way to achieve similar goals. People have been kicked off social media for voicing any support for idea that the govt even suspects might be against what they want or expect. People are getting cancelled, fired from their jobs, and put on blacklists.

--------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...nal%20behavior.

Social Credit System

The Social Credit System (Chinese: 社会信用体系; pinyin: shèhuì xìnyòng tǐxì) is a proposed national reputation system being developed by the government of China under CCP General Secretary Xi Jinping's administration. The program initiated regional trials in 2009, before launching a national pilot with eight credit scoring firms in 2014.

As of June 2019, according to the National Development and Reform Commission of China, 26.82 million air tickets as well as 5.96 million high-speed rail tickets had been denied to people who were deemed "untrustworthy (失信)" (on a blacklist), and 4.37 million "untrustworthy" people had chosen to fulfill their duties required by the law.

Supporters of the Credit System claim that the system helps to regulate social behavior, improve the "trustworthiness" which includes paying taxes and bills on time and promote traditional moral values, while critics of the system claim that it oversteps the rule of law and infringes the legal rights of residents and organizations, especially the right to reputation, the right to privacy as well as personal dignity, and that the system may be a tool for comprehensive government surveillance and for suppression of dissent from the Communist Party of China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 05:18 PM

15,081 posts, read 12,268,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
For those that are open about politics — what if the big companies start giving social credit scores. Could those scores start impacting hiring decisions or loan rates?

Trump supporters have obviously been dinged about 150 points.
Don't know, don't care.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:19 PM

761 posts, read 318,235 times
The lower your social credit score the more big companies will start to turn away your business so they aren’t associated with you.

People like Trump or Bill Cosby would be an examples of people with a terrible social credit scores. Anything they are involved with could be like censored from everything. Anyone near them has an impacted score.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:20 PM

761 posts, read 318,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What gets you points?
Perhaps socially accepted causes? Stuff like the NBA gets their players involved in.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,892,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't have accounts with facebook, twitter, Instagram or anything, so my score probably sucks.
Me too.

I do have an account with tiktok for viewing only.

Best recipes and dogs . My kind of thing.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 PM

35,809 posts, read 21,195,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I hope not.

I think loan rates will always be about credit score. At the end of the day, a bank won't lend money to someone that has a good chance of defaulting on their loan. Regardless of how high their social score or some other arbitrary number is.

I thought companies were all about hiring people with diverse outlooks? So now companies can get rid of their diversity council employees since they are no longer required.

How will the social score be tallied? Will having a child out of wedlock hurt your score? How will being single or perhaps getting a divorce figure into the rating? Will attending a pro abortion rally get you the same score as attending an NRA rally? Does eating meat that was ethically raised before it was stunned with a lethal electrical shock before it was butchered get you some extra credit?

Will there be 3 competing social credit score agencies like there are for credit reports?
No -credit bureaus are not just about credit scores. But I can tell you one thing - every time you use a credit or debit card- it’s tracked. Credit bureaus get into your car insurance rates- and jobs. Ridiculous and they should be illegal or reduced only to banks n credit requests. Other parts of the world do not have this manipulation the bureaus have on our lives in the USA.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:29 PM

16,219 posts, read 6,966,934 times
Quote:
For those that are open about politics — what if the big companies start giving social credit scores. Could those scores start impacting hiring decisions or loan rates?

Response: Opinion

What if you identify as an extraterrestrial ?

Old 01-26-2021, 05:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,610,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I strongly encourage you to watch this episode of "Black Mirror" as it deals with Social Scoring.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5497778/?ref_=ttep_ep1
It was a good one. One of my favorites but a bit over the top, eh?

I mean we already have 'social scores". Our wealth (or lack thereof); physical appearance; education; how we speak; what we drive; what we wear; our zip code; how we communicate . . and you get the picture.

This isn't new.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:36 PM

4,966 posts, read 2,259,803 times
Quote:

I understand that you can raise your social credit score by attending super-spreader riots and attacking innocent drivers and business owners in the name of Antifa/BLM. Burning s**t down is double points. Triple points for attacking White supremacist cops and federal buildings.

I do think that dressing in black, pretend military gear, and screaming "medic" is required, but I'd have to verify.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:37 PM

18,759 posts, read 7,669,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Supporters of the (Chinese) Credit System claim that the system helps to regulate social behavior, improve the "trustworthiness" which includes paying taxes and bills on time and promote traditional moral values, while critics of the system claim that it oversteps the rule of law and infringes the legal rights of residents and organizations, especially the right to reputation, the right to privacy as well as personal dignity, and that the system may be a tool for comprehensive government surveillance and for suppression of dissent from the Communist Party of China.
https://time.com/collection/davos-20...-credit-score/

This overlapping mishmash of commercial and state-run systems has stoked fears that China’s autocratic Communist Party is planning by 2020 to implement a single citizen score using opaque algorithms that’s largely political. In a speech Oct. 4, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence described it as “an Orwellian system premised on controlling virtually every facet of human life.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies