Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 02:17 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,743,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Facebook and Twitter have suspended and banned people who didn't "encourage violence," and they haven't suspended many who pushed the whole "Russian collusion" lie for three years. So as we have pointed out again, and again, and yes, again, the big social media companies are very selective and inconsistent about how they handle those who break the "rules."
Keeps 'em guessing! Let that be a warning to you. LOL

If only there were a place that Trump people could go to feel more comfortable. I guess one could call it a "safe space".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 02:31 PM

4,617 posts, read 6,425,610 times
"What if progressives were denied services in skilled trades?"

There is no law against cutting off your nose to spite your face. Just remember, not all tradespeople are trumpers....if a trumper were to refuse a job, that would be his/her prerogative....I'm sure someone else will fill the void. If you are secure enough in your life to turn down over 50% of your potential business, there is no one to stop you....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-27-2021, 02:32 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,407,859 times
Quote:
Facebook and Twitter have suspended and banned people who didn't "encourage violence," and they haven't suspended many who pushed the whole "Russian collusion" lie for three years. So as we have pointed out again, and again, and yes, again, the big social media companies are very selective and inconsistent about how they handle those who break the "rules."
They still broke the rules and were caught and had consequences that were outlined ahead of time. That the rules are not enforced fairly is a different argument. No one has been denied a chance at an account just for being conservative and plenty of conservatives still post freely within the rules.

You know, my son breaks dress code at his private school every day and gets away with it. I wish they would call him on it, but they don’t. He’s a good student, well behaved, and a 2 sport athlete. Maybe they like him more than the kid who is constantly disruptive and gets in trouble for wearing the same hoodie. Does the other kid have an argument for not facing consequences because “it’s not fair?”

Quit your whining about how it isn’t fair and follow the damn rules. That’s what adults do.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:33 PM

3,285 posts, read 1,354,082 times
Quote:
The point is, if Big Tech can deny service for political reasons, why not everyone else? What would happen?
If that is your point, then you will benefit from reassessing your engagement with logic. Independent contractors and tradesmen operate in very different business models than large tech companies. Fantasizing about your question is about as useful as turds. I apologize, some turds make good fertilizers. No offense to turds.

I come from blue collar and socialize with mostly honest, hardworking blue collar colleagues. While they may have their individual political views, none is so bereft of common sense as to turn down work over politics.

Your question is not a serious question.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:04 PM

20,288 posts, read 21,044,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
LOL right. I think I read billions of dollars are wasted in productivity because of people playing on cell phones in the office. It used to be the time at the water cooler wasted the time now it's cell phones
They do it on the computer at work too. They’re double fistin’

The office girl at my old business would be all wrapped up in her “social media” crap, and when you would ask her to do something job related she would get all miffed, you know like god forbid we bother her and she actually has to work. She’d have Facebook or whatever open in one window while texting or whatever at the same time. She thought she was slick because she would quickly close the window when someone approached her desk.
Pathetic.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:07 PM

42,011 posts, read 75,423,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So who is the nationwide big plumbing company? Big electrical? Big handymen?
My plumber's a pretty big guy ...

Quote:
The point is, if Big Tech can deny service for political reasons, why not everyone else? What would happen?
Are people being denied service because of their political affiliations, or because they violated the individual provider's terms of service?

And what makes you think all service professionals are conservatives? You're in for a big surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Oh wait I said tradesmen I think I'm supposed to say trades people.
The company that installed and maintains my furnace is owned and operated by a female. She's no conservative, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Progressives don’t do labor. It’s beneath them.
They like desk jobs that they can check their twitter and Facebook accounts all day.
If, they even have jobs.
I notice you're posting at 3:42 p.m. on a weekday ...

Old 01-27-2021, 03:14 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,974,563 times
Quote:
Ace of Spades HQ

What if the trades began refusing business with people by requiring agreement with a "terms of service"? Anyone who posted support of rioters for example could be denied services. If they don't like it, they can go somewhere else or start their own basement flooding company. They, like Big Tech, wouldn't have to be consistent, they could allow someone who cheered the Capitol riot to continue as a customer while denying one who supported firebombing federal offices.

What are your thoughts?

Rightoids were already doing this, so it's not much of a threat.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Y6PxZJH_kMTzpV

I guess they're going to keep doing it? I don't know, they fought hard to make sure they didn't have to bake a gay birthday cake for anyone, and now they're crying like snowflakes that some companies are using it against them.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,818,088 times
Quote:
So? Other men and women in the trades may feel differently than your dad. Someone might find a customer's support for terrorists like Antifa to be too much to stomach.

Shrug. SCOTUS said it's OK for bakers and other businesses to pick and choose their customers. That means we all get to live with it, whether we like what happens in a particular situation or not. And that's been true for several years now. Apparently, it's been perfectly OK with you that that's the case. So your umbrage isn't due to principle, and you should quit pretending it is.

I'm well aware that not everyone agrees with my dad. Heck, I often disagreed with him. My point was that you are highly unlikely to change a progressive's behavior about anything by forcing her/him to shop for a politically correct plumber - and that most plumbers aren't going to turn away a paying customer just because s/he never voted for tump.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:37 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,252,176 times
What if progressives get denied skilled trade services? Easy answer to a stupid question:

Progressives will hire illegal Mexicans and Guatemalan freelancers, who will be more than glad to do the work.

Trump tards lose yet again.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:38 PM

12,981 posts, read 13,727,783 times
That's what those YouTube clips and fix it TV shows are for, to put tradesmen out of business. They should count their blessings any body calls them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies