Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 AM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I don't know, but I would assume that this is part of it:

It forces Republicans Senators to take a stand. Either they believe in America and will convict for obvious reasons, or they believe in Party, and will have to take their chances with the possibility that more and more of their constituency realizes what Trump was trying to do, and they'll have to decide with their vote if they want a "truly America First" government, or if they really want "my party first" and screw everything our country was built on.

I'm sure that some of the Senators supporting the Insurrection will do just fine, but others may not. Mid-terms will be interesting this year.
Well 45 of the Republicans took a stand yesterday and did not appear frighty-scared to indicate that this action v a president who completed his term is nonsense.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:47 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,947,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
This is beyond the already shaky ground of holding a senate impeachment trial after a president has completed his term.
Nope, already precedence.

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...ment_Trial.htm

In 1876 the FORMER War Secretary was impeached but failed to be found guilty by 1 vote.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:49 AM

1,514 posts, read 896,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
It might be to prove a point.

Republicans were fine when Mueller couldn't charge Trump with anything Russia-related because he was a sitting President, even though it was quite clear, even in the report, that Trump welcomed the help and knew about the interference but did not report it.

Republicans were fine when Trump again asked for foreign interference on digging up dirt on Joe Biden. Republicans claimed that they wouldn't vote to convict because "we should let Americans decide Trump's fate in November."

Republicans are apparently fine with Trump inviting an insurrection that ended in murders at the Capitol - insurrectionists that were looking to execute lawmakers. Insurrectionists that are defending themselves saying "Trump told us to do it."

Republicans are also fine with a President committing treason while he is President (since that apparently isn't an impeachable offense) and they also think you can't try a President after he is out of office.

Essentially, Democrats might be proving that Republicans are saying the President is above the law. Since that really seems to be the only valid conclusion one could reach. Remember, Republicans were claiming that what Trump did with Ukraine wasn't impeachable - let alone whether he was guilty or not - which was NOT what they were asked to judge Trump on. They just said "Treason is not impeachable." And now they are saying "More treason is not impeachable (or convictable) since he is no longer President."

The Presidency is a free-for-all. That's what Republicans think. Trump was right - Article II does say the President can do anything... as long as your party allows you to do it. We might as well just amend the Constitution to remove impeachment entirely at this point.
^^^ This

Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 AM

5,098 posts, read 3,993,688 times
Quote:
Posted by Quick Commenter
This is beyond the already shaky ground of holding a senate impeachment trial after a president has completed his term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

In 1876 the FORMER War Secretary was impeached but failed to be found guilty by 1 vote.
You may want to re-read my post before thinking you have a precedent for a senate impeachment trial after a president has completed his term.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:42 AM

1,514 posts, read 896,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
It might be to prove a point.

Republicans were fine when Mueller couldn't charge Trump with anything Russia-related because he was a sitting President, even though it was quite clear, even in the report, that Trump welcomed the help and knew about the interference but did not report it.

Republicans were fine when Trump again asked for foreign interference on digging up dirt on Joe Biden. Republicans claimed that they wouldn't vote to convict because "we should let Americans decide Trump's fate in November."

Republicans are apparently fine with Trump inviting an insurrection that ended in murders at the Capitol - insurrectionists that were looking to execute lawmakers. Insurrectionists that are defending themselves saying "Trump told us to do it."

Republicans are also fine with a President committing treason while he is President (since that apparently isn't an impeachable offense) and they also think you can't try a President after he is out of office.

Essentially, Democrats might be proving that Republicans are saying the President is above the law. Since that really seems to be the only valid conclusion one could reach. Remember, Republicans were claiming that what Trump did with Ukraine wasn't impeachable - let alone whether he was guilty or not - which was NOT what they were asked to judge Trump on. They just said "Treason is not impeachable." And now they are saying "More treason is not impeachable (or convictable) since he is no longer President."

The Presidency is a free-for-all. That's what Republicans think. Trump was right - Article II does say the President can do anything... as long as your party allows you to do it. We might as well just amend the Constitution to remove impeachment entirely at this point.
I think this was so on point and wonderfully written. Rep to you.

I wanted to summarize your post.

What some of the Republicans in the Senate are saying is, yes Trump engaged in Quid pro Quo and yes he solicited for election fraud and yes he incited violence against another branch of government, but we can't convict him while in office because he has a protected status while being the President.

Trump leaves office.

Those same Republicans: We can not convict Trump now because he is no longer President of the United States and is a citizen.

=

We will not convict in office. We will not convict out of office. We will not eat green eggs and ham Sam I am. The President is above the law as long as he has control of another branch of government. No wonder Trump, the law and order President acted the way he did so many times. No accountability. Power Trip.

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?" "It's, like, incredible." - Donald J Trump - Jan 23, 2016

No action against Trump (just like no action against those who rioted over the summer) will embolden further future radicalization in both cases. Mark my words.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:44 AM

18,567 posts, read 7,428,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It takes a simple majority to bar Trump from office and it does not require a conviction . . . .
That's incorrect.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:57 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,773,749 times
Republicans told us Trump can't be charged with anything while in office. Now they are telling us Trump can't be charged with anything out of office. Five people died, his supporters set up a gallows and vandalized the Capitol building including smearing their own excrement all over. To the GOP, that's okay. Trump's supporters are having their attorneys blame Trump, Trump and his supporters are blaming them and no one is being held accountable after five people died as Trump eagerly watched on TV.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:00 AM
bu2

24,150 posts, read 15,001,696 times
Quote:
It takes a simple majority to bar Trump from office and it does not require a conviction, and the 100's of people who claim their defense to be "my president told me to be there" will provide the cover needed. It definitely is a political move but they are a political party so what did you expect.

It seems to me that this is A path forward, you can see if you bar Trump from running in 2024, ban him from twitter, you are forcing him to fringe more and more, it stands to reason his rhetoric will match without the counterbalance of words to actions that you sometimes got in his administration he moves further from the middle, then you can associate past trump administration relationships to the current charged up trump rhetoric, effectively splitting the party.
Not too good on the Constitution, are you? Due process, free speech, etc.

Amazes me people are so ignorant. And so willing to display it.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:02 AM
bu2

Quote:
yeaa but... hear me out, this took place outside of teh white house, a couple of blocks from where "they" were in the process of "taking" the house. A pep talk during training versus a pep talk during a timeout/
The storming of the Capitol started before he even started speaking.

Your timeline doesn't work.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:04 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

He was acquitted so it is not a precedent. The Senate can do whatever it wants. It doesn't mean it has any more significance than a declaration of January 28th as "scorpio516 day."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies