Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:23 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
Umm yeah I do. How many people have been on ventilators or died from a cold? 2 million people don't die from colds in less than a year. Zero people have died from a cold.
Plenty, it just doesn't make the news every year. Maybe you're getting hung up on splitting hairs which has not helped this whole mess. Most people call the disease they have based on the symptoms they have. Pre-corona, no one says "I have an adenovirus" or "I have a coronavirus" they just say "I have a cold." On the flip side, people with certain symptoms say "I have a flu" whether it's actually caused by the influenza virus or not. Here in this quoted post and me, we're talking about the virus itself. An adenovirus that infects the wrong person can send them to a hospital on a ventilator while another person with the same viral infection gets a runny nose for a day. My own dad had a something two years ago, and he's been on oxygen ever since. But because there wasn't a virus fad going on, no one batted an eye, panicked, or ran around demanding other people change their lives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
It's not imaginary. You need to go to a hospital and see all the dying people. Then you would have more empathy and not make ignorant statements. However when you do get the virus don't go to a hospital for medical care since you obviously believe you can't get sick.
People have been trying to find all these hospitals with dying people lined up outside the door. No one's found any. The only reason anyone is overwhelmed is thanks to our fear-mongering media, you have plenty of people that cough a few times then call an ambulance or drive to the hospital, and ERs generally don't turn people away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 04:28 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Japan's borders were either closed or tightly controlled since March 2020. I am fairly certain that tight border controls have been extended until March 2021.

Japan does not excessively test asymptomatic individuals. Japan also has the highest healthy life expectancy in the world. Oddly enough, the COVID mortality rate of Japan is marginally lower than that of the US-based on reported cases:

US: 1.7% - Cases 27M - Deaths 467K
Japan: 1.6% - Cases 407K - Deaths 6,507

Despite Americans being mostly fat, unhealthy slobs.

Anyway, closing the borders would not have stopped COVID. But it certainly would have reduced cases and deaths, particularly along the Texas border.
In reality why E. Asia has such low rates is because they locked down in January. I had cousins back in Vietnam in January 2020. Vietnam began immediately locking down borders sometime then or beginning of February.

If we did our March/April lockdowns in January and then followed it with closed borders, we would be free of Covid too. Even with no masks.

But, I rather be able to leave my country, so no thank you. What they have going on in Thailand and Australia and Laos sounds terrible to me. I rather take my chance with Covid then be told I cannot travel.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:29 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Dr. Fauci has some useful and insightful things to say. But I'd not regard his recommendations as basis for policy. Remember, that as a physician, his emphasis is on maximizing the health of the patient. That isn't the only consideration, however. Nor should it necessarily be the dominant consideration.

For example, if my car-mechanic says that I should renew my car's engine-oil every 5000 miles, he's probably right. But I may have other criteria. Maybe I don't necessarily care about my car, planning instead on driving it into the ground. To disregard my mechanic's advice does not imply that I regard him as a liar, a charlatan or an ignoramus. I simply have different objectives, than those that dominate his thought.

In a similar way, Dr. Fauci could be entirely right in his diagnosis and predictions, but still wrong, in terms of what's best public-policy.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:30 PM

282 posts, read 114,421 times
Big Covid is big business.

Governments and multinationals want you to know that they keep you safely obstructed by masks.

Masks are an industry. Industries have no intention of receding.

(And ventilators are profoundly dangerous devices.)

Old 02-09-2021, 04:30 PM

17,629 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Isn’t it time for this overpaid lifetime bureaucrat to retire?

Old 02-09-2021, 04:32 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Dr. Fauci has some useful and insightful things to say. But I'd not regard his recommendations as basis for policy. Remember, that as a physician, his emphasis is on maximizing the health of the patient. That isn't the only consideration, however. Nor should it necessarily be the dominant consideration.

For example, if my car-mechanic says that I should renew my car's engine-oil every 5000 miles, he's probably right. But I may have other criteria. Maybe I don't necessarily care about my car, planning instead on driving it into the ground. To disregard my mechanic's advice does not imply that I regard him as a liar, a charlatan or an ignoramus. I simply have different objectives, than those that dominate his thought.

In a similar way, Dr. Fauci could be entirely right in his diagnosis and predictions, but still wrong, in terms of what's best public-policy.
Fauci and others like him can only give recommendations on what reduces the spread of this virus. They cannot take into account the damage these policies have on our economy, psychological state, etc. This is why we just cannot listen to them, even if they're right. And Fauci was wrong when it counted. Back in January and February.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:32 PM

282 posts, read 114,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Here is Kary Mullis, the inventor of PCR amplification (he won the Nobel Prize for this work), which the public is being asked to misapply as an infection test, saying what he thought of Anthony Fauci:

"What is it about humanity that wants to go to all the details and stuff and listen, you know, guys like Fauci get up there and start talking--you know, he doesn't know anything really about anything. And I'd say that to his face. Nothing. The man thinks you can take a blood sample and stick it in an electron microscope and if it's got a virus in there you'll know it!

"He doesn't understand electron microscopy, and he doesn't understand medicine, and he should not be in a position like he's in. Most of those guys up there on the top are just total administrative people and they don't know anything about what's going on at the bottom."

twitter.com/robinmonotti/status/1336923426259349504

Mullis died in the summer of 2019, a few days before Event 201, and can no longer insult Fauci.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:38 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
In reality why E. Asia has such low rates is because they locked down in January. I had cousins back in Vietnam in January 2020. Vietnam began immediately locking down borders sometime then or beginning of February.

If we did our March/April lockdowns in January and then followed it with closed borders, we would be free of Covid too. Even with no masks.

But, I rather be able to leave my country, so no thank you. What they have going on in Thailand and Australia and Laos sounds terrible to me. I rather take my chance with Covid then be told I cannot travel.
I don't disagree with you. In fact, I find it ironic (or moronic) that many of those that criticize America's COVID response the most, comparing it to countries that experienced better success, were also the most critical when Trump sought to mitigate COVID spread by implementing travel restrictions.

After I recovered from a mild case of COVID, someone told me I was one of the "lucky ones". I replied, "Yeah, one of the lucky 98.3%".

Old 02-09-2021, 04:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
He's really enjoying his little power plays, isn't he?

Dr. Fauci playing: "Thumbs up/thumbs down." with us.

One day he's not sure if we need masks, the next day he says we need two.

We can go back normal if we will all just get the vaccine, oops not so fast, maybe we can't.

He got the jab in one arm, but the next, he complains it is the opposite arm that is "sore".

With his connection to NIH, he directed millions in funds to the Wuhan lab in China to study the Coronavirus. Oops, seems like a little virus escaped the Wuhan lab.

Anyone see his disgusting message to children about giving Santa Claus the jab?

This is the highest paid Government Official we have. Wonderful.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:16 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Wear a mask and maintain six feet distance, Fauci says you'll be protected from the virus.

he says that today, then changes his mind tomorrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies