Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 10:13 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Yippee.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10/healt...nce/index.html

Quote:
People who have been fully vaccinated against coronavirus -- right now that means with two doses of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine -- can skip quarantine if they are exposed to someone infected with the virus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

That doesn't mean they should stop taking precautions, the CDC noted in updated guidance. It's just not necessary for them to quarantine.
"Fully vaccinated persons who meet criteria will no longer be required to quarantine following an exposure to someone with COVID-19," the CDC said in updates to its web page with guidance on vaccination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:24 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Gee, no insidious agenda to coerce people to take these experimental and sketchy mRNA vaccines! /sarc

Old 02-11-2021, 11:11 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I'm 76, and I've quarantined for over a full year now, only because I don't want to die from Covid.
I just got my first shot 2 days ago, and and scheduled to receive the second next month.

For me, that means I'll be able to hit the road and take the extended road trip I planned to take a year ago at last.

It also means I will actually be able to spend time with all the friends and relatives I want to see on that trip, and I can go out and do some sight-seeing, shopping, and just hanging out with others in public places without worrying if I'll end up on a ventilator as soon as I come back home.

Not worrying about the virus also means I'll be able to begin doing a lot of things I've wanted to do at home, too. I want to replace my old worn-out carpet, for example, and some other fixit stuff.

I also may have some very important family business coming up this year in our state capital. If I'm fully protected, I can leave, go there, and engage in it for as long as it takes with no worries.

For over a year, I've put all that off. For good reason.

I have lost 2 relatives and 4 friends to Covid so far. Some took all the precautions they could, and others did not.

No one had to coerce me into getting vaccinated. I was eager for it and jumped on the first opportunity that came my way.

When I served in the Navy, I was on a ship that always sailed alone and was quite often the only US vessel in the waters. The crew was vaccinated frequently for diseases I never knew existed, and the vaccines always worked. We never had a strange disease catch a member of the crew wherever we went.
My experience made me a believer, and I've kept up my vaccinations ever since.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not so fast!

We need to wait and see if Jen Psaki approves of what the CDC said.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:22 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm 76, and I've quarantined for over a full year now, only because I don't want to die from Covid.
I just got my first shot 2 days ago, and and scheduled to receive the second next month.

For me, that means I'll be able to hit the road and take the extended road trip I planned to take a year ago at last.

It also means I will actually be able to spend time with all the friends and relatives I want to see on that trip, and I can go out and do some sight-seeing, shopping, and just hanging out with others in public places without worrying if I'll end up on a ventilator as soon as I come back home.

Not worrying about the virus also means I'll be able to begin doing a lot of things I've wanted to do at home, too. I want to replace my old worn-out carpet, for example, and some other fixit stuff.

I also may have some very important family business coming up this year in our state capital. If I'm fully protected, I can leave, go there, and engage in it for as long as it takes with no worries.

I have lost 2 relatives and 4 friends to Covid so far. Some took all the precautions they could, and others did not.

No one had to coerce me into getting vaccinated. I was eager for it and jumped on the first opportunity that came my way.

When I served in the Navy, I was on a ship that always sailed alone and was quite often the only US vessel in the waters. The crew was vaccinated frequently for diseases I never knew existed, and the vaccines always worked. We never had a strange disease catch a member of the crew wherever we went.
How will being vaccinated allow you to do all of those things, as it doesn't prevent you from contracting Covid, it might just reduce the severity - is that what you are good with? Just trying to understand.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:29 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:

It doesn't work that way. This "vaccine" is really just a helpful boost, nothing more. People who are fully vaccinated can still be infected, and can also spread the virus to others.

https://www.uab.edu/news/youcanuse/i...ing-vaccinated

Old 02-11-2021, 11:34 AM

282 posts, read 114,389 times
There is some signal contention:

"Patients who have been vaccinated can certainly still contract SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, and pass it on to others. There are two reasons for that, says Matthew Woodruff, an immunologist at Emory University."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...read-the-virus
February 7, 2021

Old 02-11-2021, 11:36 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
How will being vaccinated allow you to do all of those things, as it doesn't prevent you from contracting Covid, it might just reduce the severity - is that what you are good with? Just trying to understand.

Everyone has to find a balance between living life and being too cautious. If the poster takes the proper precaution while doing the things, have at it. You can't spend the rest of your life holed up away from people.

Note that this is the responsible approach to getting back to normal. As opposed to the many right-wingers - no mask, no precaution, just live like Covid doesn't exist and put themselves and other people in danger.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:

I’m glad you’ll feel comfortable living your life somewhat normally again. I really am. That’s actually my goal, as far as the whole COVID/lockdown/etc issues go.

I’m sorry that it’s taking this vaccine for you to feel safe enough to do that. There are many things floating around out there that you could catch on any given outing and which can kill you, yet for you, this virus is different. So much so that you sequestered yourself for an entire year. Is the survivability worse than those other things? Not really. Is it more prevalent? In some cases, yes. Others, no.

I guess I just don’t see the response as commensurate with the risk, and there’s no doubt that governments large and small are taking advantage of the situation to usurp political power from their constituents. Makes one question pretty much everything related to this thing and people’s perceptions about it, because on this, nobody who stands to gain by ginning up more fear in you can be trusted to tell you the truth.

Related side note - the immigrants streaming in across the southern border aren’t being checked for TB, and they’re integrating with populations all over the country. You may want to check the rates of TB in the countries they’re coming from. Food for thought.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:43 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm getting close to my second shot and feel about the same way - liberated. For me yeah, I can deal with a mild case although even that is highly unlikely after completing the Pfizer series. Mainly don't want to end up in the hospital or dead. Some risk remains, but it is greatly reduced.

I still plan to wear my masks when out among the unwashed but at least I will go out. I will limit my close gatherings to family who are vaccinated. My daughter has been treating covids in the hospital for nearly a year and we have been unable to see much of her. She got her shots, we got ours and we are planning a St. Patty's day feast to make up for the one we lost last year along with Christmas and Thanksgiving. Some friends are also vaxxed and in our list of okay people.

So what is happening and will continue to happen is a class of people who are vaccinated who will have both personal and public opportunites not available to the the anti-vaxxers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies