Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:20 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times

Advertisements

The GOP remind me of a dog chasing it's tail, they are not getting anywhere in supporting Donald Trump!

Quote:
Ronald Reagan, the president who reinvigorated the Republican Party, promoted the GOP as the “party of new ideas” on his way to a landslide reelection in 1984.

In the post-Donald Trump era, judging by the fare inside the Orlando ballroom where the Conservative Political Action Conference unfolded, the GOP has evolved into the party of precisely two ideas: re-litigating Trump’s defeat and seething over the de-platforming of the former president and his supporters.
Moderator cut: copyright violation
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-14-2023 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 09:27 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The GOP remind me of a dog chasing it's tail, they are not getting anywhere in supporting Donald Trump!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
Somehow, someway the Republican party needs to find a way out of the darkness of Trumpism. They are currently fractured into a party of Trump goofinesss and, rational conservatism. I think it may take a decade or more before the party can win a national election. It is not impossible that the Republican Party may fade into oblivion. Contrary to what some say, we would all be worse off if that should happen.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times
Yes, politics has always had a layer of artifice to it. However, the Trump clown show took it to stratospheric levels.

This most recent CPAC event has put this empty spectacle on display. Very lite on policy seminars and heavy on bombast and buffoonery.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:48 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Trump’s baseless election claims march GOP into ‘policy wasteland’
After the Democrats whined endlessly that the 2000, 2004 and 2016 elections were illegitimate and "stolen" -- with no basis in provable facts -- it sure is hilarious to see them turn 180 degrees. Now they're all about "respect the results" and "the elections is over, deal with it" and "stop being sore losers." You know, exactly the same things that the Republicans were telling the Democrats. Did the Democrats oblige and "respect Democracy" when it was them whinging about election fraud?? Hell no!! They just kept on shrieking about how the election was stolen and they was wronged!!

The only real difference is that Washington DC is 100% ready for a violent Lefty riot. If the Jan 6th riot had been Lefties, the capitol building would have been locked down tighter than Fort Knox, and for good reason. Who can forget a bunch of Far Leftists rampaging through DC, smashing and burning the day that Donald Trump was inaugurated. And then there was the time that BLM/Antifa came to try to burn down the White House. Fun times, am I right?? The DC law enforcement got caught with their pants down Jan 6th because the Right pretty much never riots. And now, January 6th is being used as an excuse to tell everyone to shut up and never mention election fraud/irregularities again.

"It's only okay when we do it!" -- Democrats

Old 02-28-2021, 10:06 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What exactly don't you understand? Republicans tend to prefer the government doesn't intrude upon our lives, liberty and freedom. That is our preferred policy.
That - is not a policy.

It's also not true. Republicans have been fighting tooth and nail against decriminalizing marijuana, for instance. Or gay marriage, although once that battle was lost, they sure were quick to pretend that they never cared. Abortion regulations are a top seller among Republicans, as long as you don't look too closely on the Republican politicians' mistresses. Forced patriotism - the Texas GOP have been putting forth legislation to mandate the playing of the national anthem at sports events. Religion - displaying "In God We Trust" in schools is mandated in half a dozen deep-red states.

Republicans want government that doesn't feel intrusive - to themselves. Oh, and it should of course benefit the rich.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:17 AM

6,126 posts, read 3,351,401 times
I will never, ever vote for anyone with a ‘D’ next to their name, and it has nothing to do with Trump.

Here is what I hate about Democrats:

Immigration policy- lax on the border
Energy policy- Cancelling the Keystone Pipeline
Middle East policy- cozying up to Iran
Climate policy- Restarting the Paris Climate Accord

I could go on, but I’m sure you get the point.

I don’t care who the 2024 nominee is, but if he backs the policies I like, he or she gets my vote.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:55 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Somehow, someway the Republican party needs to find a way out of the darkness of Trumpism.
TRANSLATION: Trump kicked our butts for four years, worse than they have ever been kicked before. Pointing out the truth of what we were doing, exposing our lies, publicly laughing at our insults and smears, and demonstrating our constant inabilities to deliver on what we promised. We have to find some way to keep him out of office, or we might never again be able to fool people into trusting us again. The only ones Trump has been "Dark" to, is us Democrats, and we absolutely can't stand it.

Quote:
They are currently fractured into a party of Trump goofinesss and, rational conservatism.
Time to resume calling him names, and pretending it's the Republicans who are at fault. If we can somehow stop him from constantly revealing our attacks and failures, we can beat the "nice" Republicans (aka The Swamp) who DON'T fight fire with fire, and relegate them to unimportance again.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:58 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Their policy is the government is not here to solve all your life's problems. That's it. And that's plenty enough for millions of Americans who like the idea of personal responsibility, independence, earning your keep instead of depending on the government, etc.
This policy is what arguably cost them the WH and Senate. When times are tough during a pandemic as the unemployment rate is in the double digits that's when the govt should come in.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:16 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: Trump kicked our butts for four years, worse than they have ever been kicked before. Pointing out the truth of what we were doing, exposing our lies, publicly laughing at our insults and smears, and demonstrating our constant inabilities to deliver on what we promised. We have to find some way to keep him out of office, or we might never again be able to fool people into trusting us again. The only ones Trump has been "Dark" to, is us Democrats, and we absolutely can't stand it.

Time to resume calling him names, and pretending it's the Republicans who are at fault. If we can somehow stop him from constantly revealing our attacks and failures, we can beat the "nice" Republicans (aka The Swamp) who DON'T fight fire with fire, and relegate them to unimportance again.
In your first sentence, I do not know who you mean by "our butts". Being a moderate conservative, I actually agreed with a fair number of Trump's campaign pledges. Hillary did not get my vote. Four years later Biden did not get my vote. But neither did Trump. The problem with Trump as president was Trump the person. Pick any grossly unpopular American in the last 20 years and imagine them at a podium speaking political views you happen to agree with. Let's use Charles Manson as an extreme example. Let's say Manson is running for president and states policies that are actually reasonable. Does that mean Charles Manson should get your vote? That analogy might explain what Trump has always been to rational conservatives and sensible Republicans. Trump is not Manson, but the point is, neither are individuals who should be president. And as the years went on in his presidency, Trump demonstrated more and more why he should not hold office. It culminated in his bizarre, dangerous behavior after he lost the last election. Trump showed to any thinking, objective person that he, Trump, is not fit to be the president of the local YMCA, let along of the United States.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:26 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
This policy is what arguably cost them the WH and Senate. When times are tough during a pandemic as the unemployment rate is in the double digits that's when the govt should come in.

Than the people will have to learn the hard way... When the government tries to solve problems, they usually either make them worse, or create new problems to compound the old problems. Ask a restaurant owner if the policies and "solutions" democrats have offered have helped them. Ask any business owner for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies