Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are we in Iraq?
9/11 War on Terror 11 23.40%
Oil, plain and simple 36 76.60%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
In Haaziq's perspective, the Middle East has every right to turn the screws as hard as they can on their oil reserves, because---it's theirs and they can!
Ok, your point?

You're essentially saying we should have the right to regulate the international market.

It takes a high level of provocative arrogance to claim we have the right to tell them what to do with the resources on their land.

No wonder people think America is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A government mass-killing people so we can put gas in our Tahoe is horrific. Who ARE you people!
You talking about their government or ours? Because last time I looked--we don't "mass-kill" innocent civilians--it's kind of a matter of US policy that way.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Wonder why some of US are beginning to hate THEM just as much as you feel they hate us?
Well, I think this speaks volumes about YOU and why I was correct in my take on where you were coming from initially...

Guess what, I feel no hatred for them, whatsoever. And any hatred they have against us has more to do with our meddling in their affairs for decades. Blowback is a bi*ch.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
You talking about their government or ours? Because last time I looked--we don't "mass-kill" innocent civilians--it's kind of a matter of US policy that way.
Not on purpose or nothing that hits the press anyways.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
No, just shock and awe.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times
Quote:
Which part of that reality do some here simply not grasp??
They understand what you're saying. However, they're working backward to get to their argument. They begin with "this is the way I want the world to be" then they conclude what the U.S. should have done. Since our position begins "this is the way the world is" and ends "these are our options" they're at odds. Because of that, they refuse to consider our positions... that's why we say liberals don't live in reality and why we're all liberals in our youths but turn, if we're bright, when we get some life experience.

Further, the people you're arguing with aren't reasonable people. Look:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Once again, we are not entitled to something that is not on our soil.
I stated a clear, practical response that's rooted in reason on the previous page to this question. What happened? Well, since they can't argue it, they ignore it and start repeating the same mantras over and over. For them, it's about manipulating people, not understanding facts... This is why it's so amusing when liberals claim they're open-minded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
But you don't know how someone is going to vote on a decision to go to war.
True and Bush didn't know Rumsfeld was going to do a poor job. However, responsibility travels up to the ultimate authority. In a democracy/republic such as ours, that's you and me. It's your duty to be well informed about the person you vote for. When they do good or bad, it's on your shoulders.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
We have a good insight here as to how Middle Eastern leaders feel (some of them). In Haaziq's perspective, the Middle East has every right to turn the screws as hard as they can on their oil reserves, because---it's theirs and they can!
Which is what soverignty is about. Perhaps you are a proponent of world government, but that doesn't mean the rest of us accept the evils associated with such systems.

Quote:
We should be expected to trade/import with countries that also practice genocide/etc. because---it's their country, and they can do whatever they want! We have to have oil, so we're effed.
There's no better way to drive your argument into the ground than to make baseless arguments such as these. If we recognize others soverignty, why would you assume that we don't recognize our own?

Quote:
Other countries should simply expect to pay out the nose and give them anything they want, including weaponry...or else...bad baby, no oil!
It's simple economics... they can demand whatever they want as long as there is a buyer and there are no alternative sellers. But that is not the case... look up who we import the most oil from and tell me that there
aren't alternatives to OPEC.

Quote:
Wonder why some of US are beginning to hate THEM just as much as you feel they hate us?
Because the hate is misplaced. The crunch people are feeling is partially due to OPEC, but we are equally to blame with our government policies. Our montetary policy has driven inflation out of control, our regulations have made nuclear energy undesirable, and our regulations have restricted our abilities to provide more self sufficiency with regards to crude oil and natural gas.

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Check yourself. What's going on in Iraq? How many have been killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Ok, your point?

You're essentially saying we should have the right to regulate the international market.

It takes a high level of provocative arrogance to claim we have the right to tell them what to do with the resources on their land.

No wonder people think America is a joke.
And it takes a high level of idiocy to think that some countries won't take exception to their methods.

By the way, if you think the country you live in is a "joke", I highly encourage you to move to the Middle East. I promise you won't be lauging too long.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Check yourself. What's going on in Iraq? How many have been killed?
Before I riggety-riggety wreck myself? Are we practicing mass-civilian warfare over there that no one seems to be aware of at this point? Haven't heard anyone even hint we're out there spraying bullets directly at innocent civilians carrying babies. Or am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies