Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2021, 12:09 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It's also unconstitutional.
Must have missed the part in the Constitution that addressed vaccines. Schools have been requiring vaccines for children for decades and I've never seen such a fuss as there is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 12:29 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Must have missed the part in the Constitution that addressed vaccines. Schools have been requiring vaccines for children for decades and I've never seen such a fuss as there is now.
This might help. And they are not speaking about children specifically, but the general public at large:

There are five criteria to consider before deciding if a vaccine should be mandatory. So far, COVID vaccines only satisfy two of them, which is why they should not be mandatory.
https://www.acsh.org/news/2021/02/05...andatory-15324

American Council of Science and Health credibility:
Overall, we rate ACSH Right-Center Biased based on pro-business support and High for factual reporting due to adhering to the consensus of science on most issues and a clean fact check record.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ameri...ce-and-health/

Old 04-12-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
This might help. And they are not speaking about children specifically, but the general public at large:

There are five criteria to consider before deciding if a vaccine should be mandatory. So far, COVID vaccines only satisfy two of them, which is why they should not be mandatory.

Overall, we rate ACSH Right-Center Biased based on pro-business support and High for factual reporting due to adhering to the consensus of science on most issues and a clean fact check record.

I was addressing the poster who said it was unconstitutional to require someone have a vaccine passport.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
I was addressing the poster who said it was unconstitutional to require someone have a vaccine passport.
Vaccine passports are very much in the direction of mandatory vaccines. If every grocery store adopts them than you can’t buy food without a passport, if jobs require them your work options will become very limited. It’s a dangerous road to go down.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Vaccine passports are very much in the direction of mandatory vaccines. If every grocery store adopts them than you can’t buy food without a passport, if jobs require them your work options will become very limited. It’s a dangerous road to go down.
If, if, if. You can if yourself to death with unknowns. Jobs can already require certain things of their employees, like not smoking, not having tattoos, not wearing shorts to work. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. And I can almost guarantee you that every grocery will not adopt vaccine passports. Don't worry, you won't starve.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
If, if, if. You can if yourself to death with unknowns. Jobs can already require certain things of their employees, like not smoking, not having tattoos, not wearing shorts to work. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. And I can almost guarantee you that every grocery will not adopt vaccine passports. Don't worry, you won't starve.
Ok, well, currently a volcano is violently erupting on a small island in the Caribbean and mandatory evacuations have been ordered on certain parts of the island but only those who have been fully vaccinated against covid are allowed to board the cruise ships or stay in certain shelters. The vaccine is more important than human lives themselves, apparently.

I am worried about vaccine passports and wish others would see the danger of allowing them. Who knows, maybe you’ll have a bad reaction to a booster one day and face the decision to risk another bad reaction or lose your passport. By then it will be way too late.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:48 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
I read your statement that it should be no big deal for kids to be vaccinated, that schools have mandated vaccines in the past, so I was passing on some useful info.
Excuuuuuuuse me!

Old 04-12-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Ok, well, currently a volcano is violently erupting on a small island in the Caribbean and mandatory evacuations have been ordered on certain parts of the island but only those who have been fully vaccinated against covid are allowed to board the cruise ships or stay in certain shelters. The vaccine is more important than human lives themselves, apparently.

I am worried about vaccine passports and wish others would see the danger of allowing them. Who knows, maybe you’ll have a bad reaction to a booster one day and face the decision to risk another bad reaction or lose your passport. By then it will be way too late.
I'm saying all the fear mongering about not being able to get food is a little over the top.

St. Lucia doesn't require a vaccine to get there, but will require one once they do. Shelters are the same. Covid is a virus that countries just aren't willing to play with. I know the vaccines have caused great illness or death in some people. I hate that too. However, this is where we are right now globally. Wish it wasn't so, but it is. I don't want to take an mRNA vaccine that we have no long term studies on, but it is what it is. I also don't want to get Covid and perhaps die or have long-term health complications. Sometimes we have to make the hard choices.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:02 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post

Your source is from February.

Re efficacy, Pfizer now has trial results showing protection still present at six months and no evidence of rapid waning. How long does the writer believe is long enough for "long term"? Why should need for a booster mean the vaccine is not protective enough?

Re safety, there is no way to know "what all of those" rare side effects could be. However, if they are going to happen they will not just poof into existence five years from now. With millions of doses administered we would start to see them.

Re virulence, the virus has killed over 561,000 Americans, it is just as gruesome a death as from tetanus, and that is not nasty enough? That does not even take into consideration the people permanently disabled and those not getting well even after the infection has cleared.

He needs to revisit his claim in light of new info.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I'm saying all the fear mongering about not being able to get food is a little over the top.

St. Lucia doesn't require a vaccine to get there, but will require one once they do. Shelters are the same. Covid is a virus that countries just aren't willing to play with. I know the vaccines have caused great illness or death in some people. I hate that too. However, this is where we are right now globally. Wish it wasn't so, but it is. I don't want to take an mRNA vaccine that we have no long term studies on, but it is what it is. I also don't want to get Covid and perhaps die or have long-term health complications. Sometimes we have to make the hard choices.
I totally disagree that the concern is over the top. I wish more people would be concerned. It’s a really big deal.

There’s no excuse for letting people in imminent danger die due to vaccine status. They can test them prior to boarding, quarantine them when they arrive and have them wear masks. N95 masks are as effective as the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies