Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its not the governor but the legislature that has a spending problem.They had the same problem before reagan was elected government.
That's not true, bro

Schwarzenegger has proposed many high $ projects including universal health care, stricter environmental action against industries, fund stem cell research, total reinforcement of the levies in Sacramento delta, more construction of reservoirs, rethinking the entire justice system/prisons, etc. In-fact before Schwarzenegger became governor he championed a state initiative that would provide before & after school programs [including free breakfast, tutoring, extensive sports programs - essentially a day care center for kids 5-18]. The people of California overwhelming approved it & Arnold became a hero [and why he became governor.

Schwarzenegger's initial mistake was thinking that being liked by the citizens of California meant his Republican ideas would also be liked. The unions went after him fast & the voters turned down every one of his proposals. All his subsequent proposals are the one's listed above.

Wisely, Arnold went back to being the hero. But unfortunately the state has run out of money in these bad times. Housing market decline has had a major impact on the California economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That's not true, bro

Schwarzenegger has proposed many high $ projects including universal health care, stricter environmental action against industries, fund stem cell research, total reinforcement of the levies in Sacramento delta, more construction of reservoirs, rethinking the entire justice system/prisons, etc. In-fact before Schwarzenegger became governor he championed a state initiative that would provide before & after school programs [including free breakfast, tutoring, extensive sports programs - essentially a day care center for kids 5-18]. The people of California overwhelming approved it & Arnold became a hero [and why he became governor.

Schwarzenegger's initial mistake was thinking that being liked by the citizens of California meant his Republican ideas would also be liked. The unions went after him fast & the voters turned down every one of his proposals. All his subsequent proposals are the one's listed above.

Wisely, Arnold went back to being the hero. But unfortunately the state has run out of money in these bad times. Housing market decline has had a major impact on the California economy.

But the problem was evident long before he got to be governor. Remember he can do nothing except what the legislature approves also. Just look at the mess they made in adopting a crazy free market electric rates alone. A total disaster for the people. But I believe that like most areas that spend and spend this will bring things to ahead and they will get by with some suffering. Then maybe they will watch their budget and run a surplus rahter than spend everything in the future to have some reserve.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 PM

329 posts, read 473,164 times
Default I expect an apology

Wow guess I was pretty ignorant.:

E=18Montclair;3738080]so much ignorance, so little time to resond.[/quote]

Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 AM

California Gov. needs to borrow 7 billion before Ca. goes bankrupt, read the news.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Move back before its to late

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't want to move this to the Immigration Forum, so let's keep the illegal immigrants as only part of the discussion.

As one who has lived in multiple states (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Missouri, Virginia, Ohio and California) I can tell you that all is not lost out here in CA. Having recently moved from Ohio, I can tell you that the economic picture is less of a concern out here than back in the Buckeye state. The economic growth is phenomenal, and CA will grow their way out of the problem.

Guaranteed.
You should'nt have made the move, repack your boxes and leave asap!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:24 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
You should'nt have made the move, repack your boxes and leave asap!
Nah, all states have problems, California just needs a wake up call to get realistic about their programs. One thing I've noticed that is very different (and expensive) compared to everywhere else I've lived is all of the expenses local jurisdictions incur (legally and analytically) battling each other and the California EPA. So many studies and court cases!

I'd love to see the $ totals just for these battles, having nothing to do with program costs at all.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Actually California has been bankrupt for a while now. They just don't realize it yet. I think Arnold's cuts will help, but it might bee too little too late in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Hmmm... Kalifurneeya... the epitome of a welfare state.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM

316 posts, read 692,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
California will be bankrupt within the next 18-24 months. It is like a giant house of cards ready to collapse. I have been making predictions for the last two years in this forum and people thought I was a nut. Im not an economist but I do have common sense and people need to realize this state is finished.
It will never recover and only decline. The unemployment rate is ready to explode upwards, the crime rate will follow, the quality of life will never recover, you will be living in a state whose demographics will be identical to cities like Tiajuana, Rio.
It Wont Take 18 - 24 Months !!! Maybe A few weeks !!!

California Needs 7 Billion dollars to aviod Bankruptcy!
Schwarzenegger to U.S.: State may need $7-billion loan - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-03-2008, 06:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
California is but the first..and won't be the last.

Now that we've passed the bailout bill for the banks, they need to pass a bailout bill for our states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies