Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:48 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
It’s impossible. Blackrock is/are the oligarchs. If you can’t see this is precursor to “you will own nothing and be happy” you are simply blind. They own and you rent. Get used to it.
The bolded is really one of the end goals of the great reset. They want everyone to own nothing and rent everything from cars to housing.

Ownership builds wealth over time.

I'm always sort of stunned by just how greedy some people are. How much money do people need? In my mind once you are a multi-millionaire or billionaire, what more do you want or need? Is it just a power thing at some point?? I mean if you've got enough money that you can't spend it all, why this lust for more? I mean it's a free country and all, but just on a day to day basis and sort of thinking out loud, what the hell does it matter at some point?

Maybe it's just my middle class way of thinking but again, just confused by this, is it so you can argue about who's got the bigger yacht? Who owns the most houses?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-08-2022 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: bypassing profanity filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 06:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are blaming Democrats for the Faircloth amendment and thats laughable.

Also, how exactly do you propose Dems stop these companies from buying these homes ?
Except the Faircloth amendment has nothing to do with the post you responded to.

Should there by a numerical cap on the # of units the Fed Gov't owns and operates? Surely not, just because the population increases over time.

But what was the poverty rate in 1998, and what is it now? Is our demand actually higher, or lower? Should the Federal Gov't expect some perfectly reasonable "code of conduct" from those people who benefit from Federal public housing?

those are the questions.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:47 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are blaming Democrats for the Faircloth amendment and thats laughable.

Also, how exactly do you propose Dems stop these companies from buying these homes ?
Regulation, same way they regulate everything else like emissions, the foods we eat, gun laws, mask and vaccine mandates, taxes, travel bans, open borders and amnesty, just to name a few. Housing is a basic necessity. It should not be exploited to the extent working class people can’t afford a home or rent.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:12 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wonder how many distress home sales the last 2 years were caused by eviction moratoriums abused by freeloaders who then stopped paying rent, even as they stayed working. PE backed home buying firms likely gobbled many of them up.
incredibly few, since there were incredibly few distressed sales.

Now surely some smaller investors, say fewer than 5 properties, threw up their hands and said "I'm out". But most of these people would have a LOT of equity in those rentals, and every bit as important, the rents were being paid at normal levels through the summer of 2020.

here was an important pandemic rent tracker that switched from weekly to monthly reporting, and then quit because rent was getting paid in same manner as pre-pandemic.

https://www.nmhc.org/research-insigh...yment-tracker/

or you can see this May '22 article - don't bother with all the anecdotes, scroll down to the bar chart...

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/04/10955...rts-to-run-out

Evictions in May '22 were no higher than pre-pandemic. That obviously implies the type of renter that didn't pay their rent pre=pandemic are generally the same ones getting evicted now.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:41 AM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
If I was in charge I'd break up all the large entities buying up residential single family real estate and pass laws preventing it. I'm not a pure free market no regulations capitalist.. you need to keep the power of corporations in check as you do the power of government. They are often both too big for their own good.
I completely agree.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:40 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Is it really anymore of a threat to single family homeownership than the Biden Administration's plan to eliminate zoning laws where only single family homes are allowed?

Single homes will be knocked down and replaced with multifamily homes, further pricing people out of home ownership.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nat...ly-zoning/amp/
Multifamily homes are not the problem - red tape is.

If you could easily purchase one family-size subunit within the multifamily building, then it would be cheaper than a single-family detached home with a yard, all else equal. However, the system is not set up with that type of deed. And it costs some huge amount of money in lawyer and permit fees to "split" a property.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The bolded is really one of the end goals of the great reset. They want everyone to own nothing and rent everything from cars to housing.

Ownership builds wealth over time.

I'm always sort of stunned by just how greedy some people are. How much money do people need? In my mind once you are a multi-millionaire or billionaire, what more do you want or need? Is it just a power thing at some point?? I mean if you've got enough money that you can't spend it all, why this lust for more? I mean it's a free country and all, but just on a day to day basis and sort of thinking out loud, what the hell does it matter at some point?

Maybe it's just my middle class way of thinking but again, just confused by this, is it so you can argue about who's got the bigger yacht? Who owns the most houses?

As a Blackrock investor you might want to know that for years they have divested substantially in SFH and now over 50% of investments is in multi family, warehouses, data centers and industrial properties. Next Blackrock is nothing more than a group of investors that are looking for solid returns from our dollars to provide income or safer investments other than the stock market. Investors include not only individuals but hinders of union trust funds, state pensions and others. Without RIET's dollars construction would be greatly reduced even more in these type of projects creating more shortages.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:59 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Blackrock and other investors/flippers have been raising housing prices for years. Now a a million or two migrants will make things worse because they'll go right for the 'affordable' apartments and houses first. The supply is being manipulated by manufactured demand. That includes all the fancy 'upgrades' in fully functional houses and apartments. Sooner or later they'll run out of the supply of tenants and buyers that could actually afford their product.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:00 AM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
incredibly few, since there were incredibly few distressed sales.

Now surely some smaller investors, say fewer than 5 properties, threw up their hands and said "I'm out". But most of these people would have a LOT of equity in those rentals, and every bit as important, the rents were being paid at normal levels through the summer of 2020.

here was an important pandemic rent tracker that switched from weekly to monthly reporting, and then quit because rent was getting paid in same manner as pre-pandemic.

https://www.nmhc.org/research-insigh...yment-tracker/

or you can see this May '22 article - don't bother with all the anecdotes, scroll down to the bar chart...

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/04/10955...rts-to-run-out

Evictions in May '22 were no higher than pre-pandemic. That obviously implies the type of renter that didn't pay their rent pre=pandemic are generally the same ones getting evicted now.
The NPR article is clearly pushing a narrative and their use of data and analysis selection is suspect so I went to the root data source they cited and voila.

Now to really drop the hammer, here is the source of their bar graph that they fuel their conclusions with.
Here is their up to date state graphs showing major eviction spikes. NPR definitely called *no impact* too early with only data thru March.

Here are two examples, feel free to look at the other 3-4 states they have data on.

https://evictionlab.org/eviction-tracking/connecticut/

https://evictionlab.org/eviction-tracking/minnesota/

In short NPR custom built that bar graph, chopped it to a specific time-frame and then tried to declare "no problem" before the extent fully emerged after March.

Very dishonest on the authors part.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-16-2022 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-16-2022, 10:12 AM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Has anyone actually cited what percentage of SFH's the investment firms have purchased?

I have to wonder is this is the same pearl clutching as "Bill Gates is buying all the farmland" threads and then you see that he owns <0.03% or in other words for those thrown off by decimal percentages he owns .0003 or for every 3300 acres he owns 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies