Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 08:14 PM

29,857 posts, read 24,986,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
A slip of the tongue but I can see how some are outraged. Do you think he may be senile or have Alzheimer's?

No, he's just a typical hyper partisan half brain dead liberal democrat. His brain is too preoccupied with uselessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 08:23 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,653,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's sometimes hard to keep up with the current language used to describe disabilities.

The larger point, is, that he worked to fight a facility that would have been unnecessarily restrictive to these children. Back in the 70's.
Look, I'm not going to give the man a hard time for his use of an outdated word. However, it would be nice to see a little intellectual honesty here. It is not at all hard to keep up with current language when the word "retarded" has been verboten for at least 3 decades. Even when I was in middle school, the disabled students were referred to as "learning disabled" and that was 30 years ago. Stop trying so hard to make excuses for the man. Odds are, as an older man, this is probably how he speaks when in a private setting, and it just slipped out at a bad time. I hear people drop the word "retarded" on a fairly regular basis, and most of the time they aren't even referring to a disabled individual. And personally, I think the way our society tries to police certain words and phrases is ridiculous anyway. I myself would not use the term "retarded" when referencing disabled people, because I actually grew up with a great aunt who had Downs. However, I would be lying if I said I'd never referred to something stupid I saw happen as "retarded" or told my friend who was acting a fool to stop acting "retarded". I know I've said it, and most likely will say it again. It's a word. And as long as you aren't using said word to degrade or put down an individual with a disability, I personally have no problem with it.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,729 posts, read 18,082,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
No the point is that he calls these children retarded. And that he lakes the awareness to cover his views up. It is a slur like any other.
The word retarded didn't start as a slur. This isn't a slur, like a purposeful hateful racial slur.

This word began as a kinder word to describe people of limited intellectual ability. It was an improvement, a kindness, from the previous words, which were imbecile and idiot and moron, describing different levels of IQ and ability. These were actual terms that described a person's ability to function.

From that, the kinder word of "mentally retarded" was formed.

It was never intended at the time to be a slur, and when Schumer used it, he also didn't mean it as a slur.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,535,116 times
Quote:
Here's the statement
"For decades, Sen. Schumer has been an ardent champion for enlightened policy and full funding of services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities,” Schumer’s spokesperson said in a statement Monday afternoon. “He is sincerely sorry for his use of the outdated and hurtful language.”

Works for me. sincere and appropriate.
I believe him.
So sincere that he didn't say it himself. Of course you believe him...

Old 06-14-2021, 08:32 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,530,663 times
Quote:
It's sometimes hard to keep up with the current language used to describe disabilities.

The larger point, is, that he worked to fight a facility that would have been unnecessarily restrictive to these children. Back in the 70's.
Well, good thing he wasn’t specifically talking about black disabled kids.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
The word retarded didn't start as a slur. This isn't a slur, like a purposeful hateful racial slur.

This word began as a kinder word to describe people of limited intellectual ability. It was an improvement, a kindness, from the previous words, which were imbecile and idiot and moron, describing different levels of IQ and ability. These were actual terms that described a person's ability to function.

From that, the kinder word of "mentally retarded" was formed.

It was never intended at the time to be a slur, and when Schumer used it, he also didn't mean it as a slur.
It has been a slur for decades. The origins of the word are immaterial. It's appalling that he isn't smart enough to push down such a slur and use appropriate language. Even more appalling is that he didn't immediately correct himself and apologise.

So now it is ok to use a slur if you don't mean it as a slur? That's a new standard that I will be interested to see the left support.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,530,663 times
Quote:
Here's the statement
"For decades, Sen. Schumer has been an ardent champion for enlightened policy and full funding of services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities,” Schumer’s spokesperson said in a statement Monday afternoon. “He is sincerely sorry for his use of the outdated and hurtful language.”

Works for me. sincere and appropriate.
I believe him.
Quote:
So sincere that he didn't say it himself. Of course you believe him...
No, he really is. He even pulled out his old royal typewriter and typed it himself.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:40 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 24 days ago)

35,729 posts, read 18,082,654 times
Quote:
It has been a slur for decades. The origins of the word are immaterial. It's appalling that he isn't smart enough to push down such a slur and use appropriate language. Even more appalling is that he didn't immediately correct himself and apologise.

So now it is ok to use a slur if you don't mean it as a slur? That's a new standard that I will be interested to see the left support.
Well, yes. It's forgivable to use a word if you don't know it's a slur, IMHO. If you're trying to describe a situation, respectfully but you screw up and use a word currently considered a slur. Honestly, to take the opposite opinion sounds very left wing. Very PC.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well, yes. It's forgivable to use a word if you don't know it's a slur, IMHO. If you're trying to describe a situation, respectfully but you screw up and use a word currently considered a slur. Honestly, to take the opposite opinion sounds very left wing. Very PC.
Why you would run cover for this is confounding. He knows it is inappropriate, hence the apology from his staff.

Your position now is that Chuck doesn't realise it is a slur to call other peoples kids retarded... That is perhaps even more concerning! When you say "currently", you are disingenuously suggesting this is something new. It isn't, as you know.

I don't think it is PC at all to expect respectful treatment of disabled kids. Odd that you do. I have a very close friend who feels the pain of his children being disrespected and referred to in this manner.

Old 06-15-2021, 01:27 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,956,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Senator Chuck Schumer NY got caught referring to developementally disabled children as 'retarded'.

https://news.yahoo.com/schumer-refer...234158202.html

Not only does that term indicate his age and era he's stuck in it's hypocritical when the same ilk don't want people to use terms like 'mother'.
OMG! Will these atrocities never end? On the bright side, at least republicans are finally learning how to be politically correct.

BTW, according to Politico the project Schumer was referring to was connected to an organization then known as the Association for the Help of Retarded Children. (AHRC has since dropped that name and now simply goes by the initials.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies