Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,216,557 times

Advertisements

This question is mainly for the "white" forum members.

Would you hire a African American to be your advisor?

Meaning, lets say you were looking for a Money manager to manage your WEALTH or a Mergers advisor to sell your business for you. Now this A.A. is well qualifed in terms of experience and education. The reason why I ask this question is because there are industries such as Financial planning or Investment banking that are not known for having lots of blacks in the industry.

I just want to know if you would hire an A.A. for financial advice when in actuallity it's not an industry that whites are used to seeing blacks.

How would you feel if a A.A. approached you and attempted to "secure" you as a client? Would you work with/hire them?

Or would "feel" more comfortable working with someone white when it comes to your FINANCIAL situation?

Historically, whites DO NOT hire blacks as their advisors on complex financial matters.

What's your take. Also anyone that has a view can answer.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,576,865 times
Me personally, I feel most comfortable with an american advising me- regardless of color. There's a trust factor with someone from my own country that I wouldn't have with anyone else.

To be sure, there are other factors. If it's financial advice, I want to have someone with experience and work for a firm I respect...

But with regards to AA (hate that term, by the way), I've never understood what's supposed to make them so different. Everybody wants stable marriages, kids that turn out well, a decent job and some semblence of financial security... so why would it matter what color people are?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,663,526 times
For me, looks count. Not in terms of race or even attractiveness but in terms of "does this guy look successful". I would want my financial advisor to look like he has some money (and hopefully by following his advice, so would I)

Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,576,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
For me, looks count. Not in terms of race or even attractiveness but in terms of "does this guy look successful". I would want my financial advisor to look like he has some money (and hopefully by following his advice, so would I)
Yeah, check out what they drive also. If it's something you could never afford, get advice from them.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM

BP, I really don't care if you hate the term, that has nothing to do with the question. It's not so much about color, its a perception that blcaks are not good with Financial matters. It does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Me personally, I feel most comfortable with an american advising me- regardless of color. There's a trust factor with someone from my own country that I wouldn't have with anyone else.

To be sure, there are other factors. If it's financial advice, I want to have someone with experience and work for a firm I respect...

But with regards to AA (hate that term, by the way), I've never understood what's supposed to make them so different. Everybody wants stable marriages, kids that turn out well, a decent job and some semblence of financial security... so why would it matter what color people are?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 PM

I can understand that.

Quote:

Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM

259 posts, read 790,382 times
[quote=ChicagoRon;3757490]This question is mainly for the "white" forum members.

Would you hire a African American to be your advisor?

Meaning, lets say you were looking for a Money manager to manage your WEALTH or a Mergers advisor to sell your business for you. Now this A.A. is well qualifed in terms of experience and education. The reason why I ask this question is because there are industries such as Financial planning or Investment banking that are not known for having lots of blacks in the industry.

I just want to know if you would hire an A.A. for financial advice when in actuallity it's not an industry that whites are used to seeing blacks.

How would you feel if a A.A. approached you and attempted to "secure" you as a client? Would you work with/hire them?

Or would "feel" more comfortable working with someone white when it comes to your FINANCIAL situation?

Historically, whites DO NOT hire blacks as their advisors on complex financial matters.

What's your take. Also anyone that has a view can answer.[/qu

That is a good question. I wonder how many people will answer it honestly. Myself, I really don't know. Let me explain. If I get to chose between 2 people. One black and one white, And if they appeared to be similar educated and I had a good feeling about both of them I probably would pick the white guy. That’s because that’s what I am used to, not because I don’t trust the black guy. It would be my first instinct.
That’s my problem that I have to work out for myself. I am trying but I would be lying if I told you I was flawless. Now.. If I were told that the black advisor had a lot more experience for example, I would most likely pick him.
I hope I didn't offend anybody. I hope you understand.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,613,852 times
I would want to get to know them just like I would anyone else before making a decision. I'm pretty cautious about everyone that I trust with financial matters. Having said that, color would make no difference.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 PM

259 posts, read 790,382 times
Quote:

I agree with that!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,820,597 times
Dennis Hinton is a black financial consultant here in Atlanta and often appears on local TV news finance shows giving advice. He sounds pretty smart to me. I think he has an MBA too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies