Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 AM

88 posts, read 111,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmmm... it sounds like you are in the wrong line of work. If you can't generate more compassion than you show here you should do the honorable thing and tender your resignation. Study after study by people smarter than you or I show repeatedly that for every dirtbag who wants to sponge off society there are 100 others who want desperately to earn an honest living. You would cripple the entire social welfare system just to punish the 1 in 50 dirtbag that gets up your nose because you are so entitled to your righteous indignation. Hmmmmm

H
Can you PLEASE post a link to ONE of these studies? Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,943 times
The attack on single parents is an immediate red flag for the readers. It is a sign of ignorance. To make a blanket statement about all single parents because there are bad ones, and to make sweeping generalizations about section 8 recipients is a bit like saying all republicans are closeted homosexuals who pay men for sex in public restrooms. Or they are just closeted sexual deviants in general who are total hypocrites and damaging society. Cheers.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,859,489 times
I agree. Section 8 is horrible and a huge waste of money. It is a subsidy for the culture of dependence and failure that is engulfing an increasing percentage of our population and quickly contributing to America's decline.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Lets end all foreign aid first. Then lets cut all federal government redundancy and then how about we cut the overkill in defense spending? And what about subsidies to rich corporations?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,859,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Lets end all foreign aid first. Then lets cut all federal government redundancy and then how about we cut the overkill in defense spending? And what about subsidies to rich corporations?
Yes, let's bring our military home. Cut our war budget by 1/5th.

Let's end foreign aid. First, we need to end our aid to Israel, and our bribes to Jordan and Egypt to be Israel's friends, that'll end about 60% of our total foreign aid.

I think we should cut government spending in all of these fronts. I think we should increase government spending in economic revitalization.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Unfortunately, it really can bring property values down when Section 8 rental property is mixed with other single family property or even other rental property.
Section 8 is essentially block busting by the Federal government. It is destroying neighborhoods nationwide.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by div21 View Post
The attack on single parents is an immediate red flag for the readers. It is a sign of ignorance. To make a blanket statement about all single parents because there are bad ones, and to make sweeping generalizations about section 8 recipients is a bit like saying all republicans are closeted homosexuals who pay men for sex in public restrooms. Or they are just closeted sexual deviants in general who are total hypocrites and damaging society. Cheers.
This is insanity. The stats are pretty clear. Children raised by single mothers do worse than those who don't. Of course there are exceptions however when you have an area dominated by single mothers that area is a sewer.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 AM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,914 times
I have to inject this.
Why do people keep saying people can't afford housing cause they work crappy jobs? What the **** is stopping poor people from renting a room? You can rent a room in even the nicest areas for around $500 a month. I'm poor as ****, that's why I rent a room for $475. In a very nice neighborhood I might add. Why do they need their own houses, paid for by the govt?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The thing about Sec. 8 housing and tenants is that they are all among us and sometimes you can't pick out the housing or the tenants from those paying market rents.
I can.

Look for the trash. Where ever you find Section 8 Housing you will find trash strewn everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Not really. Pretty much everyone had their fingers in the pie.The abuse of various welfare systems is so common.
In the case of Section 8, one of the biggest abusers was landlords. About $3 TRILLION of your current National Debt is due to Section 8. Before the Republicans changed the formula in 1994, the amount of rent you could charge was based on the Democrat's weird formula which took into account the number of um, "rooms" and the total square feet.

That had the effect of allowing landlords to charge $900 for an apartment that normally rented for $300.

Another thing was the bi-annual $5,000 cash grants given to Section 8 slum lords just for the asking. And then I'm walking through a Section 8 block in town looking at a building that was built in 1884 and has been "Section 8" since the program started 40+ years ago and it still has the original single-pane wood-frame windows (which don't work because the weights have long since broken off and fallen down behind the wooden frame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The true stories I could tell you about unemployment fraud you would refuse to believe.
Try me. I used to investigate worker's compensation fraud. I had a guy in Ohio drawing worker's comp from Ohio, who got a job in Indiana and faked an injury and was drawing worker's comp from Indiana and then he got a job in Kentucky and apparently he got fired before he could fake an injury and get worker's comp, but he was drawing unemployment benefits from Kentucky (who pay a helluva lot more than Ohio does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
End section 8?

Heck No.

Section 8 helps poor people who otherwise wouldnt be able to pay for a place to live. Nothing wrong with that in the least.
Of course they would be able to pay for a place to live, they would just have to share living accommodations with someone else.

Gosh, what a novel idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
People heer are off-base about what section 8 housing is, and is not. Not everybody in section 8 is a welfare queen with a dope dealing boyfriend. Some are just poor and cannot afford rent because they have crappy jobs.
Okay, fine, but I'm under no ethical or moral obligation to fund their living arrangements, and the legal obligation? That's questionable, since the national government has no constitutional authority to administer such a program.

If they have "crappy jobs" they can leave the US and go work in other countries, which, oddly enough, is what people in other countries do when they have "crappy jobs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Here's a hint: if you were the typical taxpayer, it could come to as much as the cost of one Dunkin Doughnut per week.
And the typical tax-payer is what? A 16 year old working part-time at McDonald's (assuming 16-year olds still think they have to work).

Gosh, if it only costs a doughnut then perhaps the national government should get out of the housing business and let the several sovereign States design, implement and run their own housing programs. The several sovereign States are perfectly capable of doing that, you know, shocking as it may sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
OK wise guy, what are you going to replace it with? Getting rid of Section 8 would just about devastate the rental market in some neighborhoods. Granted you don't get the model tenants but it's better than nothing.
Who cares what it is replaced with?

You are operating on the moronically false assumption that I am ethically, morally or legally obligated to subsidize someone else's investment properties.

I am not.

The rental investment property owners are obligated to subsidize their own investments, not me. If they aren't making money off of their investment rental properties, then they need to dump them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If, for instance, a woman raising a child while living in Sec. 8 housing and employed part time in a $10 per hour job, how is she supposed to ever earn enough to join the mainstream economy? She still needs to buy food, fuel and pay rent. How does she succeed? How does she save any money for the prepayment on an open market apartment let alone a house? I would like some instructions on how to be a success when starting from nothing.

Um, she can do what I did, and share an apartment with someone else. When I was in grad school, I got a stipend of $10,658 per year, which comes to about $888 per month, less FICA, Medicare and pseudo-Federal, State and city taxes.

By sharing, I managed to save $5,000 over 3 years and was able to rent my own place for my last year of grad school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why not come up with a way to succeed?
Sharing is a way of succeeding and she might actually learn something about life and managing a budget and personal finances.

It is not my responsibility to subsidize other people's life styles.

If it was up to me, no single unwed mother under 28 would be eligible for Section 8. They can live with mommy and daddy, or mommy, or daddy or whatever situation exists.

Maybe that will force mommy and daddy to pay more attention to whatever baby girl is doing, like prostituting herself at the Mall at age 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I agree. Section 8 is horrible and a huge waste of money. It is a subsidy for the culture of dependence and failure that is engulfing an increasing percentage of our population and quickly contributing to America's decline.
Section 8 helped destroy the Black Family. Thank you Democrats and LBJ for the Grotesque Society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Section 8 is essentially block busting by the Federal government. It is destroying neighborhoods nationwide.
And they have no constitutional authority. Time for the national government to get out of the housing business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB4 View Post
I have to inject this.
Why do people keep saying people can't afford housing cause they work crappy jobs? What the **** is stopping poor people from renting a room? You can rent a room in even the nicest areas for around $500 a month. I'm poor as ****, that's why I rent a room for $475. In a very nice neighborhood I might add. Why do they need their own houses, paid for by the govt?
Because they have been taught from Day 1 in Head Start that they are "entitled" to everything and that someone else should subsidize whatever life-style they should have.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If you're going to blame the government, you need to blame the property owner as well. After-all, they are the ones who chose to make their property section 8, not the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies