Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

I live in one of the poorest zip codes in the COUNTRY. Seriously. We have a per capita income here that is about 1/3 the average for the city..... yet we also have home ownership hovering NEAR 60%!

How do poor people buy homes where you live? At my last job I worked with two dozen other people = most of whom were over 30 and several of whom were over 50 - and NOBODY owned a home

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Poor people are the shame of Capitlism and, according to many on this board, apparently should be left to starve and freeze in the dark to cut thier "drain" on the economy. Ironically, given the direction of our economy, it is only a matter of time until 90% of us are poor enough to be starved out so we do not "drain" the respources of the people that have stolen the wealth we created.

That will create some interesting times.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And what would that prove? A 18 year old is probably going to have parents in their 40’s who are not going to want to be bothered with 2 infants in their house, grandkids or not. Denying them housing for 3 years is either going to lead to a lot of homeless families or a rise in prostitution and female drug dealers. Really, what can an 18 year old with 2 kids do for a living?

I think section 8 needs to be limited to 5 years. The reason I chose 5 is because usually a person is on section 8 because they don't have a diploma or just a GED with no real skills and can only work crappy jobs so I say make them go to school.

I think it should be a requirement for the person on section 8 to be in a trade school, career placement program or a state university. I'm sure if they qualify for section 8 then they will qualify for federal grants and daycare assistance. After that it becomes simple; you drop out of school - you forfeit your assistance. You flunk your classes - you forfeit your assistance. And since I'm suggesting state universities, it's all tied into the government so it's a lot easier to track than all the "rules" they try to reinforce now.

I think if we make getting an education or a skill a requirement that we'll see a clear divide between those who want to do better and truly need assistance and those who just have no goals or ambitions in life.

What if someone can't afford to pay for trade school, career placement program, or a state university?

Some low income people can't get afford to pay and can't get financial aid.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poor people are the shame of Capitlism and, according to many on this board, apparently should be left to starve and freeze in the dark to cut thier "drain" on the economy. Ironically, given the direction of our economy, it is only a matter of time until 90% of us are poor enough to be starved out so we do not "drain" the respources of the people that have stolen the wealth we created.

I once read an observation that capitalism creates slums.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
everyone DOES hav eequal "right".
you have a right to live anywhere in the USA you wish. there are no gates and rules about liniAGE or royal blood or anything. you can live anywhere you wish!!

Not really. You can live anywhere that (a) you can afford, and (b) government allows to exist and to be sold.

I'd like to buy a tiny piece of land (say 2,500 square feet) with a tiny house (because that's all I can afford), but government doesn't allow such a property to be sold.

Sure, I can rent a small guest house, but government doesn't allow me to buy it unless I buy a bundle containing more land and an additional (larger) house.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoldan70 View Post
One thing about Section 8 .... they are in the works of doing away with the program. So are we ready to see displaced tenants in the streets? are we ready to have the shelters overcrowded .. wait it is already over crowded ... are we ready to see children starving because the food stamp program has been done away with? ARE WE READY????? families living under the train stations .. living in the streets .. begging for food .... grant it .. some section 8 tenants really do live in disgusting conditions .. they do not care about themselves let alone someone elses property! some do commit fraud .. nothing different then what the government has done and is still doing! were are all our taxes going? its not just section 8 ... so lets not just make this a section 8 thing .. my mother lives in public housing ( she works ).. and she is OCD clean ... she is the neatest person I know! and she lives in a building were you walk in to take the elevator and you smell urine ! WHY???? why do these people do this to there building??? .. the problem is .. one bad apple spoils the WHOLE bunch .. not every person who is on section 8 is disgusting .. not every person who lives in housing is living off of the system not everyone who is on welfare wants to be on welfare .. i did welfare 14 years ago .. i had 4 small children and was a single parent .. i was embarrassed every single time i went to the cashier .. but i did it .. because my children had to eat! i educated myself, got out the "ghetto" and live in a very nice building and nice area ... i am on section 8 ... my children are older , one is finishing HS, one finished trade school, one is in college and the other has 2 babies and no she is not living with me and I will not hand down my voucher to her .. she has to earn her way like I did ..... I pay my rent on time, i pay my bills on time, i do not destroy my home ... ( its where i live why would i do that?? ) i have a GED, plus have gone to college for courses and have taken courses on line to keep myself current with the job market ... i haven't had a job in almost 2 years ... i get child support and unemployment to support the children. I do not want to be on welfare!!!! so tell me .. where do i stand?? am i allowed to live in a nice area .. to give my children a nice place to live? a safe area to go to school ? do i allow myself to live in a nice area even though i am on section 8? i am a decent human being who deserves a chance even though i had 4 children and have section 8 ..

Life is going to get very ugly for a lot of low income people.

Low income people see programs like Section 8 and food stamps at risk, but what they're not seeing is that rents will necessarily skyrocket within a few years.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Hmm...and just where do you put the Quonset huts at? I sure as heck don't want them anywhere near my house.

They will undoubtedly be placed in some forsaken poor neighborhood because middle class neighborhoods have the political and economic power to exclude them.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

How did poor people survive without welfare before FDR and LBJ came along? I don't recall reading about any American famines in the 19th and early 20th century. Even the illiterate ex-slaves seemed to make a go of it. In fact blacks owned more land in 1910 then they do now and the black population has more than doubled in 100 years.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LL's pick them up cheap and then do nothing to the house forever..

That's capitalism and slumlords for you.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if someone can't afford to pay for trade school, career placement program, or a state university?

Some low income people can't get afford to pay and can't get financial aid.
There are over 40 federal job training programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies