Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 05:23 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times

Advertisements

Thank You!!!!! Manchin holds more power than Biden at this point! If he torpedos the spending bill , I will be forever grateful to him for slowing down the eventual demise of our country.

“Every Member of Congress has a solemn duty to vote for what they believe is best for the country and the American people, not their party. Respectfully, as I have said for months, I can’t support $3.5 trillion more in spending when we have already spent $5.4 trillion since last March. At some point, all of us, regardless of party must ask the simple question – how much is enough?

What I have made clear to the President and Democratic leaders is that spending trillions more on new and expanded government programs, when we can’t even pay for the essential social programs, like Social Security and Medicare, is the definition of fiscal insanity. Suggesting that spending trillions more will not have an impact on inflation ignores the everyday reality that America’s families continue pay an unavoidable inflation tax. Proposing a historic expansion of social programs while ignoring the fact we are not in a recession and that millions of jobs remain open will only feed a dysfunction that could weaken our economic recovery. This is the shared reality we all now face, and it is this reality that must shape the future decisions that we, as elected leaders, must make.

Since the beginning of this reconciliation debate, I have been consistent in my belief that any expansion of social programs must be targeted to those in need, not expanded beyond what is fiscally possible. Our tax code should be reformed to fix the flaws of the 2017 tax bill and ensure everyone pays their fair share but it should not weaken our global competitiveness or the ability of millions of small businesses to compete with the Amazons of the world. Overall, the amount we spend now must be balanced with what we need and can afford – not designed to reengineer the social and economic fabric of this nation or vengefully tax for the sake of wishful spending.

In August, I recommended we take a strategic pause to provide time to develop the right policies and to continue to monitor how the pandemic and economic factors are affecting our nation’s fiscal situation before we spend more. Throughout September, I have made it clear to all those who would listen the need to means test any new social programs so that we are helping those who need it the most, not spend for the sake of spending.

While I am hopeful that common ground can be found that would result in another historic investment in our nation, I cannot – and will not - support trillions in spending or an all or nothing approach that ignores the brutal fiscal reality our nation faces. There is a better way and I believe we can find it if we are willing to continue to negotiate in good faith.

If there is one final lesson that will continue to guide me in this difficult debate ahead it is this: America is a great nation but great nations throughout history have been weakened by careless spending and bad policies. Now, more than ever, we must work together to avoid these fatal mistakes so that we may fulfill our greatest responsibility as elected leaders and pass on a better America to the next generation.”

https://www.manchin.senate.gov/newsr...n-negotiations

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/s...987034628?s=20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 05:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
In other words, we're too poor as a country and in too much debt to be in a position to pass on a better America to the next generation. So if anything cut government spending significantly? I think most conservatives would strongly support doing that, instead. Let states worry about funding their infrastructure.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Does Manchin know we have access to his voting record?

Old 09-29-2021, 05:35 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times
I am ever so grateful to Manchin. Thank you so much Manchin for doing what is right for the country and standing your ground!!

I also love it when someone votes against Pelosi. I hope she doesn't get her way and the dems fail at this. Their crazy needs to stop.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In other words, we're too poor as a country and in too much debt to be in a position to pass on a better America to the next generation. So if anything cut government spending significantly? I think most conservatives would strongly support doing that, instead. Let states worry about funding their infrastructure.
The problem here is that this bill is not about infrastructure. It is a massive social benefit expansion, government spying in bank accounts, and destruction of the crypto market. It will lead to MASSIVE spending with these benefits. FAR MORE than what the country can afford.

It is garbage and if he torpedos it . He will be on the right side of history.

Looks like Manchin is the John Mc Cain of the democrats. Hah

Old 09-29-2021, 05:42 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
per the thread title - it's not the infrastructure bill. it's the new spending bill.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Sure, let the infrastructure keep crumbling.

Republicans will only be happy when we are a waste land and all industrial capacity shipped overseas. SIGH

I want different things, I want 30 trillion on infrastructure to build high speed maglevs across the country, brand new sewages and subway systems in every major American city, the DE-suburbanization of America, good main roads, and no more traffic heavy highways.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Republicans will only be happy when we are a waste land and all industrial capacity shipped overseas. SIGH

I want different things, I want 30 trillion on infrastructure to build high speed maglevs across the country, brand new sewages and subway systems in every major American city, the DE-suburbanization of America, good main roads, and no more traffic heavy highways.
Literally nobody cares what you want.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

How are you going to pay for it? I want the income tax abolished and I want the federal budget shrunk by 50%.

At this point, there needs to be an indefinite spending freeze. No one spends a cent on anything new without accounting for where every penny is going to come from, how they're going to get that money, and what we're going to get in return. Oh yeah, and they can't spend any money trying to figure that out either.

TBH I want that for the normal budget too. Literally go through every single penny of every single line item and if they can't justify it, it's struck from the budget.

The infrastructure bill should be more accurately renamed the "Set Money on Fire Bill". The politicians should take out a patent on that since they're so ****ing good at it.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
per the thread title - it's not the infrastructure bill. it's the new spending bill.
Joe's tweet "My statement on infrastructure and reconciliation negotiations". Looks like his letter is for both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies