Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Ask and ye shall receive.......or sumpin like that.
Yeah, sumpin like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:07 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post
Well, I think this is enough. First, interfaith marriages, then interracial marriages and now gay marriage. What's next, marriage with animals(O'Rielly and Hannity). America and this world is going to hell because right-wing god said so!

LOL. Get over it! We in California, welcome gays and lesbian to come and marry in our great state.
The California Supreme Court decision re same sex marriage will be fodder for the the right wing-nuts talk show hosts for weeks and months to come!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
This is the can of worms that this debate opens up, and no one wants to talk about it. For the record, I don't care if two people of the same sex want to commit to each other for life. It affects me not one whit. BUT ... where do you draw the line? If same-sex marriage is OK because it's nobody's business what consenting adults do, why is it not OK for one man to marry two women? And this is where it gets gross ... if an adult brother and sister want to marry, why is it any of our business? If you say the risk of birth defects is too high, it still goes back to the "none of our business" argument. They're two consenting adults, period.

No, I'm not dragging this into the "man marrying his dog" arena. That's obviously ridiculous. Consent has to be involved among all parties.

Just some food for thought ...
Personally, I really don't care about polygamy. If someone wants to have more than one wife or vice versa, go right ahead. Again, as long as all parties involved are of legal consent. The problem w/what's going on now w/the polygamy groups is that alot of those girls were forced into marriage at a very very young age & some were raped. So yes, there's where the problem lies. Now, take that factor away & have just normal consenting people, than polygamy is just fine by me. Not my cup of tea, but whatever.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,918 times
Oh come ON people...what is the big deal!

Honestly....Let them be....

Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Well, I think this is enough. First, interfaith marriages, then interracial marriages and now gay marriage. What's next, marriage with animals(O'Rielly and Hannity). America and this world is going to hell because right-wing god said so!

LOL. Get over it! We in California, welcome gays and lesbian to come and marry in our great state.
NO kidding, I can't imagine why people care.

Thank god California has taken the reasonable step they have. One more reason I think I would love to live there. Less emotional BS about things like this and more logic.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I don't think this will actually become much of a campaign issue, the democratic nominee, Barack Obama is not in favor of same sex marriages, he said that he considers marriage between a man and a woman, however he does support civil unions.
I think the majority of people would agree with this position.
not only that but mccain has already gone on the record as voting against changing the US Constitution to ban same sex marriage. I think that would label him the ultimate flip flopper and not give him much credibility. i also think that if he did make a big deal about it that it would backfire on him because of the amount of SERIOUS HUGE issues going on right now with gas prices, food prices, stagflation, healthcare, iraq, illegal immigration, medicare & social security just to name a few. These trouble EVERY american right now no matter what his/her political stripes. Voters would wonder if he thought very much about the REAL issues that stymie their everyday lives, hopes and dreams for the future if he devoted too much time to gay marriage.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
when is the date for allowing marriages? june something? anybody know.. I would like to propose to my partner and get married in california..

Old 05-17-2008, 03:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Just as long as she doesn't have TWO wives.

'Cause everyone knows that polygamy isn't natural.

p.s. This country is insane.
My only objections to polygamy and polyandry are merely practical in nature, as how would divorces, estates, and other legal matters be handled.

If someone can show me a satisfactory way of dealing with those matters, I would care about someone having twenty wives and twenty husbands.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:13 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Quote:

I know...these human rights issues are getting out of hand!! Imagine all citizens getting equal rights? I was a bit taken back by giving women the vote and letting blacks sit at the front of the bus....but this marriage things...its just going too far!!!

Really, there is no difference in civil union or marriage, just semantics to "appease" those religious right...

Old 05-17-2008, 05:21 AM

955 posts, read 2,158,365 times
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon
I was just wondering if that is what the law states. For example, insurance rates are based on actuarial information. A family of same sex partners may pose different risk levels, therefore the rates probably should not be the same for a family plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Good question. Although, I somehow see the words "discriminatory practices" attached to the answers!
That is what I think, however, insurance is an area where discrimination is legal. For example, women of the same age pay different rates for life insurance than men do, and it is legal. Older people pay more than younger people, and it is legal. People who have had a heart attack pay different rates than those who have not, and this is legal.

So I am just wondering what would happen in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies