Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Ok, I think we need to get a couple of things straight here.

1. There are plenty of younger Conservatives
2. Yes, young people are generally Liberal, but once they get married and have a family they lean more Conservative.
3. The Liberal spike comes from the children of the baby-boomer generation who are in their 20's.
4. A lot of people who call themselves "Liberal" are not Liberal at all. The definition has been rather skewed in recent years.
5. Conservatism will never die, there always needs to be someone there to counter the Liberals/Leftists.

I agree that there are more young conservatives than most think, especially those young people raised in church and with certain morals. I have a 20 year old son and most of his friends, if not all, are very conservative in their views both politically and otherwise. It has a lot to do with your upbringing and being taught personal responsiblity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes i agree extreme right wing thinking is not working.
Technically, wouldnt it be the left wing not working.. after all, they are all for supporting those without jobs, living off of those who pay taxes..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Conservative political power is on the wane and will wane more as the younger people age. Most of them hate conservative thinking. I never thought I would have anything in common with 20 year olds but I do!

BOB HERBERT: HERE COME MILLENNIALS | Kansas.com (broken link)
I would say this is more of a long running cyclical swing of the pendulum. When a political philosophy fails to provide all the promises it makes, people begin to reject it and look for an alternative. Usually in its contrary counter part. Much like each generation rebels against the previous and sets out to make its own mark.

The one thing I tend to disagree with this piece is that it suggest a rejection to conservatism, and beg to ask, since when have we been conservative? Granted we have seen the rise in social conservatism, and even that is rather humorous since most social conservatives never live the life they prescribe to others. America has been self indulgent, consumer driven, expansionist nation of gluttons, so please do tell me how in the hell are we conservative? The only rise in actual conservatism I have seen has been from environmental conservationist who are by they very nature, quite conservative, at least in one respect.

Much like the clamor to the right in the wake of the Clinton years, the youth will once again stampede back to the left in the wake of dark ages, errrrrr, I mean the Bush years. I suspect that in another decade, we will see the pendulum swing once more.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yeah, here comes that boo hoo hoo.. mean spirited republican response that I expected I'd get.. Yeah, I should have sat there and let her stay for a 4th month for free, taking even more money out of my pocket. Or even better, your expecting me to hold my tenants hand, and have her go apply for government money, so that I can take it? Yeah, thats a very democratic response.

Tell me why I should care that she cant pay her bills, if she's causing me to not be able to pay mine?

Please im me and I'll provide you with my address, your welcome to send a check to benefit the next tenant that cant pay their rent, until then.. your agument is a typical liberal response.. take from my own pocket, but dont dare expect you to pay for it..
you didn't have to do anything.. I'm just saying you could have.. it would have benefited her.. and YOU... thats all I'm saying...
as for the social programs.. i blatantly said I was more than happy to pay for it.. because it would be there for everyone...
but I'm sure someone with as many properties and bills doesn't have time for the welfare of others? or the bigger picture of our society.. just get what you can get from life.. f everyone else right? you're a piece of work for even commenting back to me in that fashion...

Old 05-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you didn't have to do anything.. I'm just saying you could have.. it would have benefited her.. and YOU... thats all I'm saying...
as for the social programs.. i blatantly said I was more than happy to pay for it.. because it would be there for everyone...
but I'm sure someone with as many properties and bills doesn't have time for the welfare of others? or the bigger picture of our society.. just get what you can get from life.. f everyone else right? you're a piece of work for even commenting back to me in that fashion...
I'm glad to hear that your more then happy to pay for it.. I've been waiting for your IM so I can send you my address, so you can send a check... When I receive a check from you, I'll be sure to report here that you were a man of your word, and indeed, glad to help pay for it..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I would say this is more of a long running cyclical swing of the pendulum. When a political philosophy fails to provide all the promises it makes, people begin to reject it and look for an alternative. Usually in its contrary counter part. Much like each generation rebels against the previous and sets out to make its own mark.

The one thing I tend to disagree with this piece is that it suggest a rejection to conservatism, and beg to ask, since when have we been conservative? Granted we have seen the rise in social conservatism, and even that is rather humorous since most social conservatives never live the life they prescribe to others. America has been self indulgent, consumer driven, expansionist nation of gluttons, so please do tell me how in the hell are we conservative? The only rise in actual conservatism I have seen has been from environmental conservationist who are by they very nature, quite conservative, at least in one respect.

Much like the clamor to the right in the wake of the Clinton years, the youth will once again stampede back to the left in the wake of dark ages, errrrrr, I mean the Bush years. I suspect that in another decade, we will see the pendulum swing once more.
That's exactly right. Society swings back and forth - and indeed, that's the way it should be.

Ken

Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm glad to hear that your more then happy to pay for it.. I've been waiting for your IM so I can send you my address, so you can send a check... When I receive a check from you, I'll be sure to report here that you were a man of your word, and indeed, glad to help pay for it..
I'm willing to pay for it in the sense of taxes so that it is ensure to be there for everyone... sadly I do not have the resources to single handedly help every person who is struggling with their rent or power bill...we all have a sense of social responsibility for the poor... if you refuse to acknowlege it and just pass the bill on to a select few who are willing to help.. without helping yourself.. then you're an opportunist... you must understand.. it is something that must be valued in our society... and sadly it isn't...I'm concerned with the big picture... but seeing as how you entered into a contract with this woman.. and actually know her.. and totally willing to write any social responsibility off onto anyone else willing to help out.. shows your true colors thats for sure...

Old 05-16-2008, 10:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm finding I'm getting more conservative the older I get -
I find I'm generally staying in place concerning my sentiments, but the environment around me keeps changing.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I'm willing to pay for it in the sense of taxes so that it is ensure to be there for everyone... sadly I do not have the resources to single handedly help every person who is struggling with their rent or power bill...we all have a sense of social responsibility for the poor... if you refuse to acknowlege it and just pass the bill on to a select few who are willing to help.. without helping yourself.. then you're an opportunist... you must understand.. it is something that must be valued in our society... and sadly it isn't...I'm concerned with the big picture... but seeing as how you entered into a contract with this woman.. and actually know her.. and totally willing to write any social responsibility off onto anyone else willing to help out.. shows your true colors thats for sure...
Wait.. I didnt ask you to help every person who is stuggling... just one...

Ooooh, I get it.. you expect me to help her directly out of my pocket, but you wont do it yourself... You expect me to help people who are stuggling, by taking money from my family, even though you wont do it yourself. You expect tax payers to help people who cant afford their bills, even though you wont do it yourself.

yeah, exactly what I thought.. provided you dont have to write the check.. you're all fine with me doing so..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Conservative and conservation are two very different things. There are various kinds of conservatives also. Conservatives are still a powerful group in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies