Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Conservative political power is on the wane and will wane more as the younger people age. Most of them hate conservative thinking. I never thought I would have anything in common with 20 year olds but I do!

BOB HERBERT: HERE COME MILLENNIALS | Kansas.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
You love reading into things what you want.

Most individuals in their 20's NEVER think that conversatives are treaded kindly by Conservatives, simply because those in their 20's dont like to hear that they are responsible for themself. This is not new.

All this means is that liberals will lead for a little, and in about 10 years, as the liberals turn conservative, it will lean conservative as they become tax payers. Even the story made a point to list healthcare, and more support for education. Anotherwords.. they will support handouts, even if it means higher taxes.. until they start to pay them... Big surprise..

Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

All this means is that liberals will lead for a little, and in about 10 years, as the liberals turn conservative, it will lean conservative as they become tax payers.
By your account, every liberal who becomes a taxpayer turns conservative. That would mean that the millions of liberal voters are not yet taxpayers. Does that sound logical to you? I think not.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM

144 posts, read 335,851 times
20 year olds are immature, they do not have a clue about real life. Yeah, no wonder they vote liberal, fits right into their mindset.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Conservative political power is on the wane and will wane more as the younger people age. Most of them hate conservative thinking. I never thought I would have anything in common with 20 year olds but I do!

BOB HERBERT: HERE COME MILLENNIALS | Kansas.com (broken link)
I'm not sure this is altogether true, for the reason that "conservative" and "liberal" are largely relative terms. Even in a fairly conservative group, there are going to be a liberal-leaning part of the whole, willing to think in more liberal terms than their fellow members...and likewise for liberals..there are going to be SOME liberals less "liberal" than the others.

If liberals, in society, means those who preach compassion, social reforms, and inclusiveness, and conservatives are those who demand personal accountability and small, lean government, it won't be possible to ever see a totally liberal society. ALL of us may come up with all SORTS of ways to "help" people, and expand their rights and protections...but SOMEBODY will always have to figure out a way to pay for it, and to see that we aren't spending money we don't have.

Society may trend in an increasingly liberal direction, but it will always have those who preach fiscal caution, are reluctant to leap into new 'programs', and are less likely than others to embrace change. Those people, in THAT society, will be its 'conservatives', relative to the others.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
By your account, every liberal who becomes a taxpayer turns conservative. That would mean that the millions of liberal voters are not yet taxpayers. Does that sound logical to you? I think not.
I dont recall saying every liberal becomes a conservative, but there is no doubt that many liberals on the left are either getting handouts, or are in a position to be able to afford to pay more..

Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I dont recall saying every liberal becomes a conservative, but there is no doubt that many liberals on the left are either getting handouts, or are in a position to be able to afford to pay more..
Let's see here, I'm a liberal, I'm not getting handouts & I know for sure that I'm not able to afford to pay more.....pay more of what I have no idea, I don't know what you're talking about w/that one.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Many years ago, I was pretty liberal...MOST of us "60's" guys were. Then I stuck my neck out, scrimped, saved, borrowed some money, and took a big chance, and bought a rental house.

Over the next few years, I became quite conservative in terms of "renter's rights"...which I'd never previously given much thought to. Suddenly, it became very clear to me that renters do not OWN a house, and are not responsible for its upkeep, nor its mortgage. All renters have to do is pay rent...hopefully, on time. After seeing the place 'torn up' a few times, renters coming up with all sorts of reasons they couldn't pay rent, (but COULD afford tennis rackets, golf clubs, and deep-sea fishing trips), I got so conservative I almost got a little 'grumpy'.

It was an eye-opening experience. Whereas before, I felt that "all human beings have a right to shelter, and a roof over their heads" (my 'liberal' side), later on I was forced to face the realities of "who SAYS so? And who's gonna PAY for all this? And what about MY rights as the owner?" (my 'conservative' side). Two VERY different ways of looking at the same problem...both from the same person...ME.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Let's see here, I'm a liberal, I'm not getting handouts & I know for sure that I'm not able to afford to pay more.....pay more of what I have no idea, I don't know what you're talking about w/that one.
So lets see.. your a liberal, and not able to afford to pay more.. but you want the government to create all types of new programs and then bill you more.. yeah, that makes a lot of sense...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
So lets see.. your a liberal, and not able to afford to pay more.. but you want the government to create all types of new programs and then bill you more.. yeah, that makes a lot of sense...
If you would've read my quote, when I said not able to pay more, I said I had no idea what you were even talking about....look before you post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies