Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,926,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wait.. I didnt ask you to help every person who is stuggling... just one...

Ooooh, I get it.. you expect me to help her directly out of my pocket, but you wont do it yourself... You expect me to help people who are stuggling, by taking money from my family, even though you wont do it yourself. You expect tax payers to help people who cant afford their bills, even though you wont do it yourself.

yeah, exactly what I thought.. provided you dont have to write the check.. you're all fine with me doing so..
no.. I'm fine doing it.. if you're doing it as well...its a matter of nobody being able to pass the buck onto anyone else... in the form of providing programs for people who are needy and in situations like this... when people in the world's wealthiest nation aren't faced with situations like hers.... seems you're saying that you're not willing to meet me and others who are willing to pay halfway... for you its all or nothing.. or a defensive reaction to avoid the issue... would you be willing to pay taxes to help out the poor someone like this woman who lost her husband and needed housing support for a few months? would u be willing to have your taxes go towards that knowing that everyone else was paying their fair share into it as well? seems you're saying you wont and aren't going to.. and pushing it off to those who are.. and making it that much more of a burden on a select few.. while you get to skate off free and accumulate properties and wealth without contributing? afterall it would be for the welfare of the society.. and it would be available to everyone.. not just her.. but even you and your family if you lost all those properties and got in a car accident and was a vegatable and unable to work? world is kinda crazy at how it throws things at people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
no.. I'm fine doing it.. if you're doing it as well...its a matter of nobody being able to pass the buck onto anyone else... in the form of providing programs for people who are needy and in situations like this... when people in the world's wealthiest nation aren't faced with situations like hers.... seems you're saying that you're not willing to meet me and others who are willing to pay halfway... for you its all or nothing.. or a defensive reaction to avoid the issue... would you be willing to pay taxes to help out the poor someone like this woman who lost her husband and needed housing support for a few months? would u be willing to have your taxes go towards that knowing that everyone else was paying their fair share into it as well? seems you're saying you wont and aren't going to.. and pushing it off to those who are.. and making it that much more of a burden on a select few.. while you get to skate off free and accumulate properties and wealth without contributing? afterall it would be for the welfare of the society.. and it would be available to everyone.. not just her.. but even you and your family if you lost all those properties and got in a car accident and was a vegatable and unable to work? world is kinda crazy at how it throws things at people..
I dont recall you offering to meet half way, but now that you are, sure I'll take a check from you which will cover 2 weeks of rent... Sure, I'll meet you half way..

As for your scenario, no, I'm not willing to contribute. The government has no authority to tax anyone, in order to pay her rent.

How exactly do I skate off free? Last I checked I paid taxes regardless as to my tenants ability to pay their rent.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,926,113 times
Quote:
I dont recall you offering to meet half way, but now that you are, sure I'll take a check from you which will cover 2 weeks of rent... Sure, I'll meet you half way..

As for your scenario, no, I'm not willing to contribute. The government has no authority to tax anyone, in order to pay her rent.

How exactly do I skate off free? Last I checked I paid taxes regardless as to my tenants ability to pay their rent.

have a good night sweety... you're turning into a bag of wind and missing the point of what I say.. and misconstruing my points.. so we should leave it at that huh? or you can keep going without my response.. and let those true conservative values shine... good luck with those rents on christmas eve... a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do...
Mwah!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,212,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Conservative and conservation are two very different things. There are various kinds of conservatives also. Conservatives are still a powerful group in this country.
I would like to point out the Latin root which is conservare to keep, guard, observe

While conservative may be an adjective and the root a transitive verb, and conservation a noun, the root is still retained, is it not?

I am quite well aware of the various types of conservatism and those who espouse to be conservative, and I am aware they still retain some power in our political system. However, never ever confuse conservative with Republican as these two terms have moved so far away from each other they might not know each other if the met upon a street corner.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,151,431 times
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that your more then happy to pay for it.. I've been waiting for your IM so I can send you my address, so you can send a check... When I receive a check from you, I'll be sure to report here that you were a man of your word, and indeed, glad to help pay for it..
Touche' pghquest, touche'.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,804,726 times
Alas, the irony! The same selfless liberals that enabled pghquest to be free, own property, and be protected by creating the constitution of this fine land are the same liberals she spits on now. Spoken like a truly self serving conservative who cashed out the generosity came before her to poop on everyone behind her.
VERY classy!

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 05-17-2008 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,151,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Alas, the irony! The same selfless liberals that enabled pigquest to be free, own property, and be protected by creating the constitution of this fine land are the same liberals she spits on now. Spoken like a truly self serving conservative who cashed out the generosity came before her to poop on everyone behind her.
VERY classy!
Oh brother...

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,211,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I am quite well aware of the various types of conservatism and those who espouse to be conservative, and I am aware they still retain some power in our political system.
There will be a resurgence of conservatism once the US collapses and it's recognized that liberalism was the root cause of failure, and that government is unable to provide for the people.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,212,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There will be a resurgence of conservatism once the US collapses and it's recognized that liberalism was the root cause of failure, and that government is unable to provide for the people.
Well I would disagree that liberalism is the root cause of our failures. I wish the world were so simple as to be able to point at something and say, "that is why", but life just isn't that simple. I would go even as far as to say that our tendency as a society to constantly externalize blame is as great as any other cause for what is ailing us.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,211,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I would go even as far as to say that our tendency as a society to constantly externalize blame is as great as any other cause for what is ailing us.
That is the liberal view: You aren't responsible for anything, it is always someone else's fault.

Unemployment insurance did not exist prior to the 1930s, so how did people survive before that?

You had your family and your community and your church. They knew you, and they knew what kind of person you were, and they were right there to help. Always. And yes, there were separate communities, black and white, and within the white community it was even broken down by ethnic group, but it doesn't change the fact that people in your family and community were there to help, and their help was faster, and more effective, than the government could ever hope to provide.

You think Hurricane Katrina was the first hurricane to ever hit the US? You couldn't be more wrong. Who helped before FEMA existed? The community. Its help was always faster, more effective, and more responsive, if for no other reason than the fact that it was personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies