Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 09:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 943,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Cancelling the Keystone XL permit was a repeated Biden campaign promise. At the time I'm sure it looked like a good idea. Hindsight is 20:20.
It was something he needed to do politically but it was never a good idea. I understand people want to get us off of fossil fuels but the fact is that we still need them so its not a good idea to limit our access to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 09:27 PM

45,674 posts, read 24,159,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
It was something he needed to do politically but it was never a good idea. I understand people want to get us off of fossil fuels but the fact is that we still need them so its not a good idea to limit our access to it.
So now the call is not for American oil companies to provide us with oil -- but to import from Canada because we think Canada will be a cheaper way of doing it?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:50 PM

26,692 posts, read 14,639,363 times
Quote:
Cancelling the Keystone XL permit was a repeated Biden campaign promise. At the time I'm sure it looked like a good idea. Hindsight is 20:20.
By hindsight, you mean common sense, right?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:59 PM

9,409 posts, read 7,057,582 times
What is a premier?

Old 04-04-2022, 11:51 PM

45,674 posts, read 24,159,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
What is a premier?
Kind of like a Governor but with more power.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:55 PM

18,806 posts, read 7,720,346 times
Quote:
What is a premier?
Fist showing of a movie.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:31 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,470,192 times
Quote:
What is a premier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Kind of like a Governor but with more power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Fi[r]st showing of a movie.
Okay, I gotta admit that Roboteer's answer made me laugh, once I saw the typo (which I fixed). Thanks!

A premier is the equivalent of a Prime Minister, except at the Canadian provincial level. There would be nothing wrong with calling Mr. Kenney Alberta's Prime Minister, or Mr. Trudeau Canada's Premier, but it's just traditional, in Canadian political circles, to refer to the head of government of a province as a Premier, and the head of the federal government as Prime Minister.

The provinces each have a Parliament, just like in Ottawa, except they don't have Senates. But they work the same way as the House of Commons: the leader of the party with the most seats in the Legislature (the provincial equivalent of the House of Commons) is asked to form the Government, and thus become the premier. And business goes on--bills are introduced, debated, and eventually passed into law, or not. Confidence votes can occur. It's a smaller form of a Westminster parliament, and the premier is the province's head of government.

But I'm unsure if if I'd agree that a Canadian premier has more power than an American state governor. Of course, like any member of the legislature, the premier can introduce bills, and participate in debates. Beyond that, he or she can set policy, and select members of the cabinet who can be counted on to support that policy. But the premier cannot sign bills into law, or issue executive orders or the like, as I understand American state governors can do. That's the job of the provincial Lieutenant-Governor, the Queen's representative in the province. Who is always neutral, not selected for political reasons, and whose role is largely constitutionally-circumscribed, and mostly ceremonial.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:07 AM

39,179 posts, read 51,518,640 times
Kenney presumes the pipleline operators would have prevailed in the many lawsuits that had halted construction by the time Biden cancelled it. That seems unlikely given the labyrinthian US appeals system and the snail's pace at which it moves.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:12 AM

30,773 posts, read 18,515,875 times
Quote:
It only ever looked good to the radical left. We’ve been condemning such moves since the Obama-Biden days.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:13 AM

30,773 posts, read 18,515,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So now the call is not for American oil companies to provide us with oil -- but to import from Canada because we think Canada will be a cheaper way of doing it?
If we are going to import from somewhere, I say better Canada than Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies