Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 03:01 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,885,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
of course the usual talking heads and political leaders get on air and scream for more gun laws.

I am a kid of the 70s/80s. We did not have these issues back then. If we did, it was extremely rare and the shooter had MENTAL and/or EMOTIONAL issues. When are we as a nation going to look and see what has changed in the last 40 years? We had weaker gun laws back then and did not have shooting like this.
Gun laws aside, I know for a fact and from personal experience that our country is woefully ill-equipped to deal with the mental health issues in this country. Our healthcare system is a joke on so many levels. I have a family member who has been in dire need of a competent psychiatrist for almost two years, and is yet to find that psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 03:04 PM

4,497 posts, read 1,760,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Actually it does. SSRI's have that type of side effect....violence.
About 16-17% of Americans are on SSRI's...

Why are they snapping is what people should be asking.

https://www.psychreg.org/antidepress...ass-shootings/
Quote:
Psychreg is mainly for information purposes only. Materials on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, medical treatment, or therapy. Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified mental health provider with any questions you may have regarding any mental health symptom or medical condition. Never disregard professional psychological or medical advice nor delay in seeking professional advice or treatment because of something you have read on this website.
hmmmm

Old 05-25-2022, 03:05 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Gun laws aside, I know for a fact and from personal experience that our country is woefully ill-equipped to deal with the mental health issues in this country. Our healthcare system is a joke on so many levels. I have a family member who has been in dire need of a competent psychiatrist for almost two years, and is yet to find that psychiatrist.
It is probably a bit more than that in that to seek help may be cutting your own Achilles tendon, that admitting you are not right in the head by seeking help may be what gets you denied for what someone not so marked could get. With data hacks and the push for laws to disclose, patient confidentiality can be something of a bitter joke.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:11 PM

43,593 posts, read 18,669,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
hmmmm
Well now I'm not giving anyone "professional advice" am I ?
That article SHOULD provide you food for thought.

maybe, just maybe it's NOT the physical gun itself.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:16 PM

43,593 posts, read 18,669,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And that may be true but there is no issue with getting prescriptions.
The US is the #1 country when it comes to citizens on prescription drugs...near 50% and that includes kids

They attribute some of that to individuals seeing the drug commercials and asking for them and doctors only too quick to comply.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:18 PM

4,980 posts, read 2,105,746 times
OP, I grew up in the the 70s and I fully agree with you. I feel that our society and ourselves have allowed our your teens, especially the males, to mature as in past generations. I enlisted in the Army back in 1980, right after my 17th birthday and got free trip to reality at a very young age. Before retiring, I worked in law enforcement and I saw the levels of immaturity with plenty of 18-23 year olds all the time. I think that as parents, we were overly protective, which has caused this issue by accident. There is a term for this and it’s called “helicopter parents.”

I cannot count the times I’ve heard “he’s only a kid,” when the individual is 19-20 years old and walking around like a gangster.

I’m very pro A2, but I believe that the age to purchase, to own or have free access to a firearm needs to be moved up to 21. With that, a waiver for anybody that is in the Military, Active, Reserve or Guard, or employed/in training for Police/Police Explorers, Firefighter or EMT, either Full-Time, Part-Time or a volunteer. Individuals in these professions have shown a acceptable level of maturity and they can think things through, without acting on some impulse behavior.

Staying at home and living in the basement, playing video games for most of the day will delay mental development of somebody who is not forced to deal and live in reality.

I know that many pro A2 will disagree with me and that is fine. I do not blame guns one single bit, I blame the individual for their criminal actions. I will not support banning any firearm or magazine capacity, but I feel raising the age to 21 would be the most effective means without violating our constitutional rights under the A2 from impulsive behavior from young men. Also, our justice system need to be far more firmer as well.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:23 PM

8,398 posts, read 3,583,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm thinking that the guys that were most at risk of snapping simply aged out and retired from the job.

Today what is really scary is that we have move guns out there and less morals. We have so many more young people that are easily unhinged when something doesn't go their way and they don't seem to have the will to overcome.

Last week in a post here on CD there was a mixed race kid that was attacking his white mom and calling her a racist because she was making him do chores. The school (Democrats) had taught him to identify with his perpetually oppressed Black half. They turned the kid into a victim within his own family.

This is an example of how much stress inducing nonsense that is being dumped on the kids these days by the Lefty schemes to control.

They are raising a generation that is questioning everything like their Gender, Race, Economic Disparity, Equity and if they are Woke enough. Add the likes of AOC telling us that we are going to die in 10 years due to Climate Change the future is looking Bleak and the kids are noticing to their detriment.
That's what people did with my daughter. She was taught that I was having her do chores because I was turning her into my slave.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:58 PM

2,612 posts, read 941,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not handing out drugs like it's candy. The US is #1 with the most people on prescription drugs.

If you have to ask then you have not done your research into what is really happening.
But she didnt give me an answer and you didnt either. Not doing something isnt doing something. So you have an issue with prescription drugs? How would you like to limit them? I assume your next response would be to treat them more like narcotic painkillers which would severely restrict how much they are prescribed. I wonder how that would go over and if it would be enough to reduce the number of mass shootings (or shootings as a whole).

I dont understand why we cant present our ideas as actual actions being proposed.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:50 PM

4,497 posts, read 1,760,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
That doesn't answer my question... when are we going to do something serious about mental health, besides ***** about it every time there's a mass shooting?
This is what i’m talking about…

Quote:
UVALDE, Texas — Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that the Uvalde school shooter had a "mental health challenge" and the state needed to "do a better job with mental health" — yet in April he slashed $211 million from the department that oversees mental health programs.

In addition, Texas ranked last out of all 50 states and the District of Columbia for overall access to mental health care, according to the 2021 State of Mental Health in America report.
So if mental health is the problem, when are we actually going to do something about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies