Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 04:52 PM

43,250 posts, read 18,385,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most mass shooters were never diagnosed, let alone medicated. Perhaps if some had been….

In absence of a history of violence, it is near impossible to project anyone’s potential for future violence.
Actually many were on antidepressant drugs.
I posted article link in earlier post.

The Charleston shooter was on prescription drugs.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRider View Post
As already noted, there have actually been a variety of ages. Mental issues for sure though. And there are so many different levels of mental issues. The number of people with issues is astounding. Spend a couple evenings watching "Cops" and you'll see there are so many wackos everywhere. In every city.

No I'm not trying to say they are all potential mass murderers, I'm thinking about how many people are running around with mental issues. And in my opinion it's just the tip of the iceberg. Unfortunately we find out about most them too late.
The world is full of whack jobs.

Easy access to firearms seems to make a difference.

The shooters don’t value life including their own. Instead of taking just their own lives, most seem to relish the god like power over others, notoriety, legacy and inspiration to future shooters.

Old 05-25-2022, 04:57 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,020,672 times
Most young men don't commit mass shootings. The majority of shootings are committed by nonwhite people. Should we keep guns out of the hands of people who aren't white? A small segment of a group of people doesn't represent the whole.

27,646 posts, read 28,745,041 times
I think these mass shooters are copycat killers. The more mass shootings there are, the more that people who even think about doing such a thing are encouraged to go out and actually do it.

If this is the only way for these losers to get their 15 minutes of fame in the national news, then why not do it? Unfortunately, that’s the way they think.

14,267 posts, read 6,975,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Undoubtedly made worse by the shut downs.

As I posted in another thread…over $40 Billion to the Ukraine, but nothing to help Americans….no decent affordable mental health resources.
I don't think the problem is money. There are shortages of all kinds of doctors and other medical personnel

Last edited by ansible90; 05-25-2022 at 05:12 PM..

Old 05-25-2022, 05:00 PM

5,343 posts, read 4,440,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What is the common denominator here?

Salvador Ramos (Uvalde, TX) - male, age 18
Payton Gendron (Buffalo, NY) - male, age 18
Patrick Crusius (El Paso, TX) - male, age 21
Nikolas Cruz (Parkland, FL) - male, age 19
Dylan Roof (Charleston, SC) - male, age 19
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook, NJ) - male, age 20
Eric Harris (Columbine, CO) - male, age 18
Dylan Klebold (Columbine, CO) - male, age 17

Maybe we don't need sweeping gun control laws. We don't need to take guns away from women, or from middle-aged men. There is a very specific cohort here. Why don't we concentrate on keeping guns out of the hands of young men?
How, Leo? How do we keep guns out of their hands. Most guns used are not legally purchased by the assailant.

Mind you, I agree with you but, how? Please be specific. If we are going to do this we need it to be done right.

I know how we can stop the shootings from happening but, none of the solutions are centered around guns. They aren't the problem. Killers are.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:03 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,069,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
how are they responsible enough to be in the military and handle guns there?
The military has a well-tested system for instilling responsibility. It's essentially based on people with loud voices and chevrons on their sleeves delivering immediate and highly unpleasant consequences for irresponsible behavior.

Works for most.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:05 PM

25,882 posts, read 12,918,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Same argument could be used for buying booze, cigarettes, vape, weed, all drugs for that matter.

If someone wants it they will get it.

I appreciate that there is no 100% way to shut down these troubled men....but we have to start exploring options.
#1 option...re-open mental institutions, and get them off the streets & out of our communities.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:06 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,085,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
How, Leo? How do we keep guns out of their hands. Most guns used are not legally purchased by the assailant.

Mind you, I agree with you but, how? Please be specific. If we are going to do this we need it to be done right.

I know how we can stop the shootings from happening but, none of the solutions are centered around guns. They aren't the problem. Killers are.
I read yesterday (but now of course I can’t find the link)…80% of the firearms used in these situations were obtained from a family member who purchased them legally.

And yea I agree, we need to change hearts and minds and souls to stop killings.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,975,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Worthless democrats standing on the still-warm bodies to attempt to disarm people who didn't commit these crimes?
What is your solution? Do you have any ideas about how to stop mass shootings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies