Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 12:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Those polls depend on how you ask the question.

There have been numerous polls indicating the majority of the public opposes student debt forgiveness.

Less than half of Americans support student loan forgiveness: poll

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/less-...183840781.html

Expect support to plummet dramatically further as the grift shifts from the hypothetical to the reality.
Talk about cherry picking a poll result. Yes, the question matters, but if the questions is 10 grand it enjoys wide spread support - in your poll and every other.

But let's say its a done deal. Do Republicans really want to be leading the fight to put millions of Americans families back $10,000 more in the hole by reinstating the debt? Have at it, I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 12:32 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,900,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Talk about cherry picking a poll result.

That's all anyone ever does.

The point is, you claimed that polls showed one thing - I demonstrated they also show another.

'Twas fair game.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:34 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
well yay for my recent graduate son who has about $101K on the books with repayment starting in nov...

I still wont vote for a D, EVER again, given the antics of the last 6 years. there has to be consequences for a$$hattery

Old 05-27-2022, 12:38 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
The ultimate goal is to cancel our nation right out of existence and replace it with a leftist Hell on Earth. These dimwits think they can succeed at something that has failed miserably every time it has been tried... oh... but it will work this time! You'll see! It will turn into a paradise this time, not a genocidal disaster like all the other times.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:40 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And who exactly would pay for those 2 years?

Some "Trade Schools" could be 20K+, what about people that want to go to a Private School where 2 years could cost them 30-40K, compared to someone going to a Community College?
I didn't see anything that would cover private school. The rich will continue to send their kids to prestigious universities and those on the dole will continue to get free college. It's the middle class that we are trying to make sure has access to education.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
I'd be interested to see the breakdown of low/middle/high income beneficiaries. On the higher income side, I know one won't be buying more food or basic necessities, but might instead do some investing, or on the margins pull the trigger on an auto or home purchase - which would have some inflationary effect, but limited to those specific categories.

If money getting redirected to investing is the most likely outcome, I can imagine Wall St lobbying for it, so that could be the real reason for the momentum (or should I believe Biden wants to do something nice for the little guy?)

Old 05-27-2022, 12:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I am opposed to this. I'm all for programs to help kids get an education. In fact I favor two years of free college or trade school. But that would not be retroactive. This loan forgiveness is just not fair to those who worked their way through college to avoid going into debt.
not fair to ...

those who already paid their loans in the entirety
those who had paid their loans below $10K
those who never borrowed money (per your scenario)
those who never went to college, which is at least 1/3 of grads these days
those who will go to college in the future

and the really crazy thing is, at least 2 Dems that are fairly progressive have posted here their sensible opposition. Thank you!

And I agree on the 2 years post-HS too.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:55 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Talk about cherry picking a poll result. Yes, the question matters, but if the questions is 10 grand it enjoys wide spread support - in your poll and every other.

But let's say its a done deal. Do Republicans really want to be leading the fight to put millions of Americans families back $10,000 more in the hole by reinstating the debt? Have at it, I say.
Thats reinstating THEIR debt.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM

269 posts, read 181,531 times
I have two good friends in San Antonio and I bite my tongue every time I hang out with them. Both waiting for forgiveness.

One is in her early 40s, good job, has $80K student loans. She def have a good social life, and rents an apartment at the Pearl with an amazing River Walk view, well over $2k a month for a 1/1 to herself.

Other is 30, has decent salary of $75K, with $70K student loan, smokes weed, just bought a house with his partner, new furniture, upgraded to a nicer used car, new bike, new furniture.

Me, great engineering job, modest rent, $0 debt, car paid off. What forgiveness can the Government provide to fools like me?

Old 05-27-2022, 01:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Yes, absolutely. The law of unintended consequences. And, I think, that is one of the justifications for partial forgiveness. It is like the lenders created this program that inflated the costs of education and then saddled students, who had no hand in it, with mountains of debt for them to get an education. To be sure, the schools themselves gorged on the profits and spent lavishly on salaries and perqs as well. The only ones who did not? The kids who got handed the bill.
the average cost to a US in-state public school (tuition + living) is $21K.

https://www.topuniversities.com/stud...-cost-study-us

If you toss around this $300B so blithely, why are you concerned with Musk/Bezos/etal net worth being in that range? If $300B is such a pittance, why does it bother you elsewhere?

But on topic, even if a student borrowed 100% of 21K at 4 years, that payment is under $1,000/mo. Most will spend more than that on rent (well, certainly those who also believe they are instantly entitled to their own space).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies