Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 04:01 PM

21,953 posts, read 9,532,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Shut off internet access and take cell phone...or restrict it greatly and allow the priviledge back with performance.
Tried that years ago. My kids didn't even have cell phones in middle school. It was the school giving them the devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 04:04 PM

52,306 posts, read 52,756,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
There is an evil force that is working hard to continue the dumbing down of the US population.

If you stop for a second and think of the reasons why, this is absolutely terrifying.
Get people dumb and dependent.

Create a subclass of serfs.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,227,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I wonder how many people are aware this is going on in schools. My daughter was completing 11% of her work when she transitioned from 8th grade to high school. I actually asked them if they could fail her. They didn't 'want to make her feel bad about herself'. Ugh. How can a parent hold a kid accountable when this goes on?

Teacher Resigns from LT

https://patch.com/illinois/lagrange/...mwY6qYi4uY3jEk
Accountability needs to start at home. If your daughter is only doing 11% that's on the parent FIRST. Stop complaining about the school and sit down with your kid to make sure she's doing her work and understands it.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:25 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Quote:
That seems unfair. You pull all the wealthy kids out of public schools and the poor kids who go to public are victims of this policy.
thank obama for depriving poor kids of charter schools. Why do dems want to handicap poor kids?

Despite giving lip service to education reform, the Obama administration has decided to put an end to the very successful D.C. school voucher program. US News

At least Trump provided permanent funding for black colleges.. obama never considered that policy.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Accountability needs to start at home. If your daughter is only doing 11% that's on the parent FIRST. Stop complaining about the school and sit down with your kid to make sure she's doing her work and understands it.
I knew someone would blame me. When the school won't hold her accountable, it's difficult for the parent to. I was also going through cancer treatment then....you know...double mastectomy, chemo, radiation, reconstruction and hormone blockers so yeah, I wasn't perfect. And I have another kid who is disabled.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:03 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people are aware this is going on in schools. My daughter was completing 11% of her work when she transitioned from 8th grade to high school. I actually asked them if they could fail her. They didn't 'want to make her feel bad about herself'. Ugh. How can a parent hold a kid accountable when this goes on?

Teacher Resigns from LT

https://patch.com/illinois/lagrange/...mwY6qYi4uY3jEk
All my kids went through the Catholic schools.

They still have discipline there and are more in line with traditional schools. If a kid is a trouble maker, they expell them very quickly, as they consider it a privilege to go to the school. Students who misbehave to teachers are punished not only at the school, but at home.

They assigned members of the football team to students who were potentially bullied, which was a very effective means of ending it quickly. Kids got community service time for doing it and actually enjoyed helping out someone who was being picked on. Non Catholic kids were not required to go to Mass- they just went to study hall during that time and were exempt. They actually failed kids who were failing academically. If you failed the year, you were expelled. Homework was graded and given a zero if not turned in on time. Letter grades were given and on a curve (they had to change the rules for admission at the state universities for being in the top half of the class, as they would have some of the catholic kids getting over 80th percentile ACT scores, but not being in the top half of thier class).

Old 05-27-2022, 05:15 PM

24,013 posts, read 15,110,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
thank obama for depriving poor kids of charter schools. Why do dems want to handicap poor kids?

Despite giving lip service to education reform, the Obama administration has decided to put an end to the very successful D.C. school voucher program. US News

At least Trump provided permanent funding for black colleges.. obama never considered that policy.
Show me a charter or private school that accepts vouchers that does not have the ability to select the students they want. When a charter has to take anybody who walks in the door we can discuss.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
All my kids went through the Catholic schools.

They still have discipline there and are more in line with traditional schools. If a kid is a trouble maker, they expell them very quickly, as they consider it a privilege to go to the school. Students who misbehave to teachers are punished not only at the school, but at home.

They assigned members of the football team to students who were potentially bullied, which was a very effective means of ending it quickly. Kids got community service time for doing it and actually enjoyed helping out someone who was being picked on. Non Catholic kids were not required to go to Mass- they just went to study hall during that time and were exempt. They actually failed kids who were failing academically. If you failed the year, you were expelled. Homework was graded and given a zero if not turned in on time. Letter grades were given and on a curve (they had to change the rules for admission at the state universities for being in the top half of the class, as they would have some of the catholic kids getting over 80th percentile ACT scores, but not being in the top half of thier class).
In our middle school, a kid threw a desk for a three story stairwell and critically injured another student who will suffer permanent brain damage. I don't even think the kid was expelled.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:00 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
In our middle school, a kid threw a desk for a three story stairwell and critically injured another student who will suffer permanent brain damage. I don't even think the kid was expelled.
Again-

Parents consider the pubic schools to be warehousing and baby sitting for kids. Often these kids come from families with no discipline, so it is hard to expect the schools to do all the parenting.

The Catholic school system is able to initiate more discipline as IT IS DEMANDED AND GUIDED BY THE PARENTS AND THE DIOCESE. If we, as the parents, were not happy with the direction things were headed in the school, they knew we would pull our cash out of the school and the diocese. Teachers were given free reign to discipline kids and had fill parental support. We were large donors, but there were more than a few times my boys were on the receiving end of discipline and my wife and I supported it 100%.

The good thing about the public schools getting worse is that it will strengthen the parochial schools, where discipline, high test scores and grades, and some religion is still emphasized. They still say the Pledge and start the day with a prayer.

In the Catholic schools my kids attended, 50% of the students were there on scholarship (poorer kids supported by the diocese) and so it is not just a school system for "rich kids". There was a good segment of minority kids represented (most on scholarship), but those kids appreciated the fact they were going to a better school and behaved and performed like everyone else. My kids to this day have previously lower income kids (who have completed college and professional schools) who are no longer "low income" and are in the community again, CONTRIBUTING to the system, not being a burden. The Catholic school system works and turns out a better educated, better socialized kid than the public schools for a number of reasons.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:02 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
Quote:
I knew someone would blame me. When the school won't hold her accountable, it's difficult for the parent to. I was also going through cancer treatment then....you know...double mastectomy, chemo, radiation, reconstruction and hormone blockers so yeah, I wasn't perfect. And I have another kid who is disabled.
Many people are very quick to judge others when they don't know all the facts. I have been guilty of that in the past, too, but I try to be more careful now.

The Parenting Forum is full of "perfect parents".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies