Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 02:35 AM

38,683 posts, read 26,489,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As long as horror stories don't happen over women needing abortions but couldn't get access, most people aren't going to care much about the issue, other than extremists, who believe things have only begun.

In the Red States, far Christian right pro-life groups want all abortions 100% banned with no exception and women punished who get them, along with anybody else who had helped her. They even want to make it a crime to donate to women's right groups that defend abortion rights. The want birth control banned, too, though, may be willing to make exceptions for married women. It will be interesting to see just how far extreme they will be allowed to go in getting such laws passed, if Roe v. Wade is overturned.

A number of pro-life people don't have much respect for women, believing things started going wrong in this country when women were given the right to vote.
Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah, most people don't want the government in that business. Screw the nanny state.
With Roe out of the way, the individual states will have to address the abortion issue and that means the status of the fetus as a person/non-person will also have to be addressed.

Roe punted on the issue by using a reverse engineered viability standard as a pretext for legalizing abortion.

It defied logic in many ways, but it got abortion on demand up and running, so the same Supreme Court that concluded African slaves were not persons and could never be citizens went with the proven non-person stratagem.

Going forward, things will be different.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:58 AM

10,180 posts, read 10,302,733 times
Quote:
Most Americans think the government should get out of the business of dictating women's health. Except some Republicans.
An unwanted pregnancy isn't a "health" issue.

Quote:
They may personally have an opinion or belief against abortion, but it doesn't mean government should be deciding for them.
Yet the left (especially Bernie & his loser fans) want the government to run all aspects of healthcare while the government has never been able to & still can't even run the VA.

Quote:
Anyway a leak isn't a ruling. You'd need to look at the polls after the ruling takes place and the draconian laws start coming from certain states.
It was a leak of a draft, and apparently one of Sotomayor's clerks is responsible for the leak.

The clerk being Amit Jain - where's the left wing MSM investigating him, let alone MENTIONING his name?

Old 06-14-2022, 02:59 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,429,697 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree the government should not be involved in dictating anything about everyone's health. The government can pay for health care but shouldn't be deciding anything regarding treatment or procedures. That should be left up to doctors.
But you really don't - because if the government is paying for a service, they have the right to dictate what they cover - you can't say they must pay whatever I want covered - otherwise would be forced to cover what most would consider elective procedures such as sex reassignment. You can't have it both ways, you can't say must cover whatever the procedure at whatever the cost with no limit - that is rampant abuse.

It was ACA also that dictated that certain things must be covered such as type of birth control methods that must be covered for all women, all without charging a copayment or coinsurance even if you haven’t met your deductible. Female sterilization is required to be covered on request at no cost, male sterilization is not required to be covered at all - very one sided.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:23 AM

6,342 posts, read 3,529,367 times
I don’t care at all about abortion.

I do find it odd that people are so fervent about demanding the right to kill future humans, but setting that aside, there are about 10 other issues that Biden is failing on that are much more important.

#1 is the economy.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:16 AM

12,222 posts, read 6,400,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Ever since the Supreme Court leak, polls haven't changed. It hasn't hurt the Republicans nor helped the Democrats. Do most people in the US not care one way or the other? Especially because it doesn't affect them. Or maybe some DO care, but it won't be enough to change their voting one way or the other?
The polls haven't changed because both sides are solidly entrenched in their positions. I have yet to find a single person who is non-chalant on the topic of abortion. Everybody I know is very passionate about their view of abortion and defends it almost violently. It is an extremely polarizing issue, as you would expect when one side knows it is murder while the other side considers it scant different from liposuction or trimming your fingernails -- just removing some wasteful organic matter from the body.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:25 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,609,953 times
Quote:
Most Americans think the government should get out of the business of dictating women's health. Except some Republicans.
I was in agreement until liberals chose to get into the business of dictating all citizens vaccine mandates.

Now I fully support making abortion illegal and having the many decide the business of a few.

When republicans are elected I will push for legislation outlawing jobs for those who are fat or sickly. Until they stop eating.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:28 AM

5,657 posts, read 6,264,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Ever since the Supreme Court leak, polls haven't changed. It hasn't hurt the Republicans nor helped the Democrats. Do most people in the US not care one way or the other? Especially because it doesn't affect them. Or maybe some DO care, but it won't be enough to change their voting one way or the other?
I think it depends on the race and the candidates. In theory it should not matter much in federal races, assuming Roe is overturned, since it will correctly be a state issue. In a deep blue state like where I currently live (Massachusetts) I don't think it will be much of an issue since there seems little likelihood that abortion will be too strictly restricted here. But in a purple state with candidates that aren't that far apart on most things but differ on abortion? Yes, there it might matter.

Also, in terms of whether or not it will impact someone directly? It is impossible for me to get pregnant now, but that has not always been so. I have known women who have had abortions, their reasons, and the way they came to their decisions. Just because the legality or illegality of abortion will not impact me directly now, I am not going to just forget those things. I want choice to remain an option for those women for whom it will matter.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think it depends on the race and the candidates. In theory it should not matter much in federal races, assuming Roe is overturned, since it will correctly be a state issue. In a deep blue state like where I currently live (Massachusetts) I don't think it will be much of an issue since there seems little likelihood that abortion will be too strictly restricted here. But in a purple state with candidates that aren't that far apart on most things but differ on abortion? Yes, there it might matter.

Also, in terms of whether or not it will impact someone directly? It is impossible for me to get pregnant now, but that has not always been so. I have known women who have had abortions, their reasons, and the way they came to their decisions. Just because the legality or illegality of abortion will not impact me directly now, I am not going to just forget those things. I want choice to remain an option for those women for whom it will matter.
Is it your position that a fetus is A) a non-person throughout the entirety of gestation, B) becomes a person after a certain length of time following conception or C) becomes a person following some biological milestone?

Old 06-14-2022, 06:04 AM

33,475 posts, read 12,742,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I've never considered the issue very much in my life honestly. I always figured it was something that was done, settled and over with as far as the debate was concerned. Apparently, things may be changing. We'll see.

Does the health of an unborn baby matter not??? The issue many conservatives have is they believe life begins sometimes before the baby is born. People have a tendency to not approve of murder. You describe it as a women's health issue, but that's not the way everyone sees it.
Fetus, not baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies