Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

For those that are interested in building & maintaining a democratically representative republic that respects the (not only or exclusively property) rights of the individual, even against family/clan or tribe & state, I'd like this thread be an open discussion on how to do that in this here country currently called the U.S. of A.

Now given the above parameters, whether you think of yourself as centrist, conservative, libertarian, moderate regardless of what political party you may or may not be registered to, I hope you can help bring about a fruitful discussion.

I would first like to start off by bringing up the issue of conservation.

Quote:
Replanting efforts will have to focus on better handling more powerful and more frequent storms, he added."Looking forward, I think for any municipal forestry organization across Ontario … we all need to be thinking about how we create a resilient forest canopy in the face of climate change and more severe weather," Pollard said.
"That will include things like species diversity, but also diversity in … the age of the species and the age of the tree canopy."
CBC: Increasingly powerful storms threaten Ottawa's tree cover

Old 06-22-2022, 03:07 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
My opinion is that it cannot be done at this point. Too late. What we have is a henhouse full of a lot of hens and a good number of foxes. They cannot coexist. The hens and foxes need to be separated.

As for conservation, although it is an important matter, it is the least of our concerns right now.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:24 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
The price of living in any society is compromise as one right will often clash with another right. Without society, you can do anything you want as there is no one around to care.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:32 PM

908 posts, read 441,944 times
I believe that democracy is one of the primary antitheses to a constitutional republic as envisioned by our Founders and on that count I shall quote the late great John Adams :

" Democracy, simple democracy, never had a patron among men of letters. The people have always expected to be served gratis, and to be paid for the honor of serving them, and their applause and adoration are bestowed too often on artifice and tricks, on hypocrisy and superstition, on flattery, bribes and largesses. " .

In short while I could most certainly offer some humble ideas regarding your request OP , I'm afraid that they would be totally at odds with any conception of democracy , which is why I will recuse myself from typing further unless you wish me to continue .

Old 06-22-2022, 04:42 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
I think the problem lies elsewhere - it’s the issue of purism or Puritanism. In normal life (not necessary limited to the US) people accept that things change with time. For example the constitution which dates back almost 240. It was drafted at a time when circumstances and everyday reality was very different. Society was different, not just in size and numbers, but in the mix. Economy was different and the status of US among nations was also very different. Nobody could foresee today’s reality (as nobody can write today a document that will fit society 240 years into the future like a glove).

As such if we are willing to take a less rigid approach (not the carved in stone approach) to both republic and democracy these two can coexist. There is no real conflict between them.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:26 PM

Thank you all for your contributions.

We probably can't solve problems that have baffled generations for decades, but at least here we can start a discussion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those that have an interest in the organic (i.e. not synthetic or domestic):

Quote:
According to a recent report, many of these ‘charismatic’ wildflowers are threatened with extinction.

NYT:Why Trillium Have Become the Poster Child for Endangered Native Plants

Old 06-24-2022, 02:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 9,161,666 times
In every society on earth, the rights of the ruling elites will always trump the rights of ordinary citizens. That’s because the ruling elites write the laws.

It’s as simple as that. All societies are ultimately the same.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:34 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Thank you all for your contributions.

We probably can't solve problems that have baffled generations for decades, but at least here we can start a discussion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those that have an interest in the organic (i.e. not synthetic or domestic):

NYT:Why Trillium Have Become the Poster Child for Endangered Native Plants

Your posts are... a little confusing. Why are you putting such unrelated topics together like this?

Anyway, as for the representative republic matter: it is all laid out before us in the founding documents. All we have to do is to put it into practice. What that would entail is abolishing about 99% of the power of the federal government and shut about 99% of it down. And then bestowing each state with far more power than it has right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In every society on earth, the rights of the ruling elites will always trump the rights of ordinary citizens. That’s because the ruling elites write the laws.

It’s as simple as that. All societies are ultimately the same.
And that is exactly what the founders of this nation were trying to avoid--at least some of them. As we can plainly see now, that is easier said than done.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Your posts are... a little confusing. Why are you putting such unrelated topics together like this?
I would like this thread to be a place where those that consider themselves conservative, libertarian, moderate, centrist, can debate & discuss.

If you go by what the current tabloid media defines as what those identity groups are, you'd get a very narrow & distorted picture in my opinion (I'm not a fan of how they define leftist either).

You can go back to the Radical Republicans (actually started out as an abolitionist party); the conservation movement; the civil libertarians defying the Fugitive Slave Acts; environmental protections; etc, there is a lot that has somehow been erased & edited out.

I hope to at least change that on this here thread, so its going to have a pretty big tent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute announced that the egg was abandoned in Wisconsin and then given to surrogate parents at the Virginia facility

Whooping cranes are endangered due to habitat destruction, hunting, poaching, climate change, natural disasters, and oil spills.
People: Rare Endangered Whooping Crane Hatches at Virginia Conservation Institute

Old 07-05-2022, 01:47 PM

From the fugitive/freedman Douglas.

Quote:
Editor's note: We mark the beginning of Black History Month with a 1883 letter from Frederick Douglass on his loyalty to the Republican Party. The letter followed on the heels of Douglass' appearance at the National Convention of Colored Men in Louisville, where he gave a speech urging black men to stand up for their rights. A little more than a week after this letter appeared, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the Civil Rights Act of 1875, paving the way for Jim Crow laws that would segregate the South for nearly another century. Our society — and our language — has radically changed since this piece first appeared. We have left Douglass' words in tact in the interest of historical accuracy.
Chicago Tribune: From the archives: Frederick Douglass on the Republican Party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies