Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 PM

11,249 posts, read 8,378,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Killing another human is not a medical decision, with the possible exception of an imminent threat to the mother's life in which it would be self-defense.
A fetus is neither a human, nor a non-human. By definition, it is very ambiguous, hence the unsolvable debate.

The government does not recognize them as a child. Ever try to claim a dependent fetus on your taxes?

I'm for a woman's choice, against abortion as a form of birth control, and I totally understand the position of sane pro-lifers. Nobody can claim to be right or wrong.

What I don't understand is why the pro-life people are not more adamant about things like:
- Forcing the father to be supportive of all costs starting at conception
- Providing health care for the people who are born
- Making sure the baby's born to parents who can't (or choose not to) feed their babies are fed

Both sides of the RvW issue make some level of sense to me. I don't understand how someone can be so cold as to force a woman to carry a child to birth, and then go out of their way to prevent that child from having a chance, when we, the richest nation on earth, have more than enough resources to look after our citizens.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:47 PM

494 posts, read 181,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
No, that's not how biology works. It would be described as a human fetus.... it's always human.

You probably mean to say it's not a person.... and you'd be wrong about that too because the law disagrees there.

So take your pick as to which specific reason you're wrong.
Using your argument go and try to get life insurance on a fetus. Let me know how that works out for you.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:48 PM

89,677 posts, read 45,325,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
A fetus is neither a human, nor a non-human. By definition, it is very ambiguous, hence the unsolvable debate.
A fetus is most definitely a human. If that were not true, fetal homicide laws would be invalid. No human victim = no homicide.

Quote:
The government does not recognize them as a child. Ever try to claim a dependent fetus on your taxes?
The government doesn't recognize illegal aliens as legal residents. It still isn't legal to kill one. The 50 found dead locked up in a trailer in TX? Their smugglers will be charged with homicide, even though the dead are not recognized as legal residents by the government.

Quote:
I'm for a woman's choice, against abortion as a form of birth control, and I totally understand the position of sane pro-lifers. Nobody can claim to be right or wrong.

What I don't understand is why the pro-life people are not more adamant about things like:
- Making sure the baby's born to parents who can't (or choose not to) feed their babies are fed
- Many men are court-ordered to pay child support including prenatal care, delivery costs, etc.
- CHIP/Medicaid provides health care for those who cannot do so for themselves and their dependents.
- WIC and Food Stamps provides too much food for those who can't afford to feed themselves and their children. The demographic that has the highest obesity rate, by far, is Food Stamp recipients.

Quote:
Both sides of the RvW issue make some level of sense to me. I don't understand how someone can be so cold as to force a woman to carry a child to birth, and then go out of their way to prevent that child from having a chance, when we, the richest nation on earth, have more than enough resources to look after our citizens.
In the vast majority of cases (excluding the 0.3% of abortions due to rape) no one forced the woman to have sex. How is it that in this day and age so many people still don't know that male/female sex among fertile participants has a definite risk of a resultant pregnancy? Voluntary actions have consequences, no force involved

Old 06-28-2022, 01:51 PM

24,814 posts, read 13,203,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
A human fetus has human DNA. A fetus is human while in the womb and does not magically become human upon its birth.
Quote:

I don't see how someone can be so cold as to want the death of innocent humans.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
Using your argument go and try to get life insurance on a fetus. Let me know how that works out for you.
Using your argument, go and kill a fetus. Let us know how that works out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sikande...duce-abortion/

Old 06-28-2022, 01:54 PM

11,968 posts, read 25,591,706 times
The main legal challenge to state laws banning early abortion and even birth control will be religious freedom. Pro Life movement totally accepts the Catholic Church view that human life begins at conception and even birth control is sinfuls. Protestants generally are for birth control and non Christian groups have different views on when a fetus becomes human: 120 days for Muslims and 40+ days varying by Jewish group. Banning a Muslim or Jew from getting an early term abortion violates their freedom of religion as it forces them to adhere to a Catholic belief they don't share.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:55 PM

11,968 posts, read 25,591,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
A human fetus has human DNA. A fetus is human while in the womb and does not magically become human upon its birth.

Theological debate. Christians and most Buddhist believe a fetus is human at conception, Jews and Muslims do not. Sperm cells have human DNA, maybe we should also ban masterbation.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM

15,778 posts, read 7,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
No, that's not how biology works. It would be described as a human fetus.... it's always human.

You probably mean to say it's not a person.... and you'd be wrong about that too because the law disagrees there.

So take your pick as to which specific reason you're wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A fetus IS a human. It's a stage of human life just like infant, toddler, teenager, adult, geriatric, etc. Fetal homicide laws would be void if a fetus wasn't human. No human victim = no homicide.
Laws are written to define things in a certain way for the purposes of the law. Those definitions are not applicable to non-law situations.

Old 06-28-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The main legal challenge to state laws banning early abortion and even birth control will be religious freedom. Pro Life movement totally accepts the Catholic Church view that human life begins at conception and even birth control is sinfuls. Protestants generally are for birth control and non Christian groups have different views on when a fetus becomes human: 120 days for Muslims and 40+ days varying by Jewish group. Banning a Muslim or Jew from getting an early term abortion violates their freedom of religion as it forces them to adhere to a Catholic belief they don't share.
Irrelevant in the face of the fact that killing a fetus has already been legally recognized as felony homicide. Fathers have killed their pre-born offspring under similar circumstances and have gone to prison for doing so.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sikande...duce-abortion/

Old 06-28-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Laws are written to define things in a certain way for the purposes of the law. Those definitions are not applicable to non-law situations.
How are laws regulating abortion not law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies