Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 04:24 PM

6,402 posts, read 4,899,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is something else I think about. Who is more likely to be shot for resisting arrest? I don't endorse resisting arrest. However, I who gets shot for and who doesn't on the occasion of resisting arrest. It should be the same across the board. If it isn't, that is a problem too.
That's easy! People (of every race) who are trying to avoid capture after committing crimes (or warrants).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 04:59 PM

73,193 posts, read 63,056,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
That's easy! People (of every race) who are trying to avoid capture after committing crimes (or warrants).
You manage to bring up statistics on who commits crime. Do you have any statistics on who is the most likely to get shot on the occasion of resisting arrest?

Old 07-08-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
You manage to bring up statistics on who commits crime. Do you have any statistics on who is the most likely to get shot on the occasion of resisting arrest?
I don't know of any statistics, but logic would dictate that since young black men commit the most crime, they are probably also the most likely to get shot while resisting arrest.

It kind of sounds like you suspect racism.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I don't know of any statistics, but logic would dictate that since young black men commit the most crime, they are probably also the most likely to get shot while resisting arrest.

It kind of sounds like you suspect racism.
Well, not everyone who resists arrest gets shot. There are many who resist arrest and get taken to jail without being injured. And then there are those who get shot while resisting arrest, armed or not.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:19 PM

6,967 posts, read 3,168,039 times
Quote:
There is something else I think about. Who is more likely to be shot for resisting arrest? I don't endorse resisting arrest. However, I who gets shot for and who doesn't on the occasion of resisting arrest. It should be the same across the board. If it isn't, that is a problem too.
There is something to be said about the neighborhoods too. The environment.
Not saying right or wrong here.

In an inner-city high crime zone, where there lives more blacks, obviously there will be more cops interacting with them when something goes down. And these cops are constantly on alert and deal with messed up stuff as is typical in the hot spots.

Whereas, you get a predominantly white neighborhood, which tends to be less insane on a nightly basis. The cops who work there are not jacked up all the time like the rough neighborhood ones. So when Billy Jo Bob gets in a drunken stupor and starts trashing a sports bar, the cops , while annoyed, probably didn't just come from some foot race or bodega shooting.

I think a big part is the environment, but it's not the end all be all. Some 'burb cop, may get all pumped spotting a black kid in 'his' neighborhood. Depends on so many variables. Dress, demeanor.

Ultimately, the larger percentage may simply fall on whatever ethnicity is rolling the dice(resisting) more.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
There is something to be said about the neighborhoods too. The environment.
Not saying right or wrong here.

In an inner-city high crime zone, where there lives more blacks, obviously there will be more cops interacting with them when something goes down. And these cops are constantly on alert and deal with messed up stuff as is typical in the hot spots.

Whereas, you get a predominantly white neighborhood, which tends to be less insane on a nightly basis. The cops who work there are not jacked up all the time like the rough neighborhood ones. So when Billy Jo Bob gets in a drunken stupor and starts trashing a sports bar, the cops , while annoyed, probably didn't just come from some foot race or bodega shooting.

I think a big part is the environment, but it's not the end all be all. Some 'burb cop, may get all pumped spotting a black kid in 'his' neighborhood. Depends on so many variables. Dress, demeanor.

Ultimately, the larger percentage may simply fall on whatever ethnicity is rolling the dice(resisting) more.
Cops in the inner-cities might be more on edge. However, my brother mentioned that he was less likely to get "Driving While Black" stops in rougher areas than in the less sketchy suburban areas. According to him, the police are too busy dealing with thugs to pull him over.

I have seen my father get pulled over a few times. It mainly happened in suburban/exurban areas. The most aggressive cops he saw worked in the city. However, some of the suburban/exurban officers seem to have that "good old boy" attitude.

My father bought a new car over 20 years ago. Soon after getting that brand of car, he got pulled over several times. When he drove his older car, the police didn't mess with him. New car, police pulled him over a few times, literally less than 2 miles from home.

One thing I do think about, especially with the amount of hiking I do, is going into places where there might be 1 or 2 Blacks living there. I think about the possibility a police officer might see me and think "what's he doing here?" and pull me over.

Sometimes it's environment. Sometimes it's some people viewing other people with suspicion.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-08-2022 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Well, not everyone who resists arrest gets shot. There are many who resist arrest and get taken to jail without being injured. And then there are those who get shot while resisting arrest, armed or not.
My experience in decades with teenagers of every race is that black males were virtually always non-compliant when given instructions by authority figures. Next worst were black females. A distant 3rd would be Latino and white males, followed by females. Asians were typically compliant and respectful.

Based upon my own experiences, I am not at all surprised that black adults are the most likely to resist arrest and refuse to comply with police.

Note: Repeatedly, I have seen black fathers on various media angrily relate that they had to "teach my son how to interact with the police", as if this is a special burden placed upon black people.

Newsflash: All fathers do this! Mine certainly did and so did the parents of every one of my friends. Once in a while, I asked entire classes if they had received similar instruction from their families. Most had, but I always took the time to go over de-escalation techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies