Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 07:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,890,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yeah, agreed it's a lame name. Good idea otherwise.
Agree.

Most countries have multiple parties in office.

Elon Musk was a Andrew Yang supporter. Maybe he would be willing to kickstart a bankroll for a viable third party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 07:16 AM

6,760 posts, read 8,621,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The balance team? Maybe it’s exactly what’s needed. Gen Y might push this in their time.
Maybe they should revive the name of the old Mugwump party from the late 1800s. They had their "mug" on one side of the fence and their "wump" on the other.

Until they start winning seats at the state level, and fielding viable candidates at all levels, they'll just be another group wanting power but not having any.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:18 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,451,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So the members of this new party would be called Forwarders?

They need a better name.
Forwardians?

Old 07-28-2022, 07:49 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,190,121 times
I'm not opposed to additional political parties generally speaking, and I'd like to see reform with respect to the absurd maintenance of the duopoly's constructed advantage, but this article is pretty clearly written to convey the bias of the writer, who, either hasn't followed Yang or hasn't understood him. Also, the emphasis on disaffected Republican membership is... conspicuous, to put it politely. Some would argue that Reuters has taken a rather far-left turn internally over the past some-odd years — an argument bolstered by former Reuters data scientist Zac Kriegman.

In any case, While some moderate Republicans and disaffected Independents certainly find Yang interesting, the overwhelming majority of his support is found on the political left, ranging from more moderate anti-establishment liberals to folks willing to selectively embrace more radical ideas. To be fair to Yang, some of his positions are indeed centrist, and he's a genuinely nice person, but if you look at the entirety of his speaking and writing he's much more in favor of a government that would look like a 'benevolent' technocracy — a decidedly utopian notion, and one that would require, among other things, much more intrusiveness on the part of the state.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:51 AM

4,332 posts, read 1,580,664 times
We need third, fourth, fifth, sixth parties too. We need to destroy the two party state IMO.

Mark my words, the GOP and Democrats will fight tooth and nail to have parties removed from ballots. We cannot allow this to happen.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:01 AM

29,773 posts, read 14,835,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
We need third, fourth, fifth, sixth parties too. We need to destroy the two party state IMO.

Mark my words, the GOP and Democrats will fight tooth and nail to have parties removed from ballots. We cannot allow this to happen.
I agree.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:07 AM

4,595 posts, read 2,315,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Uh excuse me there ALREADY IS a third party. The LIBERTARIAN party!

The only party that is for small government, low taxes, reduced unnecessary laws, lgbt AND gun AND religious rights, and ecology balanced with human needs.

I am very interested to learn what this Forward party comes up with for a platform. Or maybe they should just merge with the Libertarians, then those of us who are fiscally conservative and social liberal can stop all this madness.

I will be VERY disappointed if they come up with an anti-self defense / gun stance on their platform, if so it'll just be another version of the democrats.

The libertarians need better (normal) candidates. I am more a libertarian than a conservative and I voted for Ron Paul but he was not viewed favorably by the mainstream. Then came along Gary Johnson who had no idea what Aleppo was even though the Syrian civil war was going on. I know there was someone last election cycle but cannot remember who. There is also a lot of confusion over the libertarian stance on abortion and our borders. It needs to be clearly defined.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:24 AM

962 posts, read 544,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
The libertarians need better (normal) candidates. I am more a libertarian than a conservative and I voted for Ron Paul but he was not viewed favorably by the mainstream. Then came along Gary Johnson who had no idea what Aleppo was even though the Syrian civil war was going on. I know there was someone last election cycle but cannot remember who. There is also a lot of confusion over the libertarian stance on abortion and our borders. It needs to be clearly defined.
As I understand them, libertarians are very pro choice, and very pro tightened border security.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:26 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,458,714 times
Third parties are dumb in our system.

First of all, whichever way they lean, and it will be impossible for them to remain neutral enough to pick off the same amount of voters from each party, but whichever way they lean, they will take voters from that side.

We already seen this with Perot. A lot of people on the right were excited about Perot, and all they did was get Bill Clinton elected. Don’t believe the revisionist lies that the left tells where Clinton would’ve won anyway, that’s just not true.

Secondly, even if this third party becomes wildly successful and becomes equally as popular as the other two parties, congratulations, because now when we elect a president, 67% of the country will hate him instead of just 50%.

But again, all they will do is take votes from one side. I’m already feeling dubious about this. I suspect they will lean right so they can take Trump support in order to get the Democrat elected. I don’t trust Yang, or any of the Never Trumper’s in this new party.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:41 AM

27,737 posts, read 28,848,621 times
"The party, which is centrist, has no specific policies yet."

Uh yeah, it would be a little bit helpful if they spelled that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies