Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 09:13 AM

25,903 posts, read 12,935,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Biden ruined the economy with sanctions on Russia but let's not pretend that the previous administrations economy was great.
Going back to 2008, trillions of dollars were created and pumped into the economy, giving an illusion that there was prosperity and growth.
We've been in a nosedive since the early 1930's (remember The New Deal?) when excessive big gov't growth began:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...ending_GDP.png

Big Gov't getting bigger causes inflation, recessions, bubbles, stagnant wage growth, wages & wealth gaps, trade imbalances, corruption...all of it.

When the slope of this chart reverses direction, everything will start to improve, but not before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 09:19 AM

17,474 posts, read 9,299,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Well, it's not "official" until the National Bureau of Economic Research declares it so, but two consecutive quarters is the generally accepted criteria.
In place of the standard economic definition of a recession, administration officials point to the business-cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research (located in Cambridge, Massachusetts) as the “official recession scorekeeper.” It’s a highly convenient move for them. While the nonpartisan NBER employs a robust set of indicators to pinpoint recessions, it does so retrospectively. The great recession of 2007-09, for example, had already been under way for a year before the NBER released its determination. Sometimes recessions end by the time NBER classifies them, and this built-in delay limits the utility of NBER scorekeeping for real-time policy decisions.

They will admit in a year or so that — yeppers, turns out we have a Recession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Aww, come on now…. It’s pretty obvious that we are going into a serious recession. Just because the White House says we aren’t, doesn’t make it so. This is the same White House that says men can get pregnant. They don’t have a lot of common sense up there…
The White House’s attempt to wordsmith its way around a recession shows the dangers of politicizing economic terms. We have seen this before.

The president’s economic team should think twice before discounting the risk of a recession. After all, they stumbled into the current inflationary crisis after a year of trying to manipulate the language: Inflation was “transitory” and therefore of little concern until it eventually topped an annualized 9%. Let’s not stumble into a recession because the White House has political priorities that conflict with economic reality.

The Reality for the people is that we actually recognize a Duck when we see one.
We grocery shop, we buy gasoline, we see our wages and income shrinking and we see credit card debt mounting— while TeamBiden & his subservient Media keep telling us “ there is NO Duck”.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:20 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,788,423 times
Poor republicans. Gas prices are coming down and they are sad

Old 07-28-2022, 09:22 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,586,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
We have been in recession for that past 6 months.
No we haven't. But keep saying it, it will likely come true anyway.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Aww, come on now…. It’s pretty obvious that we are going into a serious recession. Just because the White House says we aren’t, doesn’t make it so. This is the same White House that says men can get pregnant. They don’t have a lot of common sense up there…
Did I say we weren't going into one? I believe I used the word "yet".

I think most of you would do well re-reading responses a few times before actually responding to a comment.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Better take those Rah Rah Biden Glasses off. They are clouding your vision.

Look doctor, I know all the symptoms are there and I know the x-rays definitively show massive malignant tumors in my lungs and I know that I can barely breath and I know five other doctors have told me the same thing... but I don't officially have lung cancer.
I don't like Biden genius, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. Newsflash - just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a Biden champ.

95% of posters on here here are drama queens who look for the doom and gloom in every scenario. Maybe learn what a recession is and then respond to the actual topic of the thread, not your typical but, but Biden waaaaa...

Old 07-28-2022, 09:29 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,252,677 times
Look at all the lefties frantically moving the recession goalposts. How very predictable. Just don't bother. We all know what this is. You aren't fooling anyone.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:31 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
In place of the standard economic definition of a recession, administration officials point to the business-cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research (located in Cambridge, Massachusetts) as the “official recession scorekeeper.” It’s a highly convenient move for them. While the nonpartisan NBER employs a robust set of indicators to pinpoint recessions, it does so retrospectively. The great recession of 2007-09, for example, had already been under way for a year before the NBER released its determination. Sometimes recessions end by the time NBER classifies them, and this built-in delay limits the utility of NBER scorekeeping for real-time policy decisions.

They will admit in a year or so that — yeppers, turns out we have a Recession...
Correct. Doesn't make anything I posted less true, however.

We're in a recession, by the accepted definition. It's not "official" until the NBER says we are.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:34 AM

20,890 posts, read 9,589,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here is job growth in this "recession."

Jan 2022: +504,000 jobs
Feb 2022: +714,000 jobs
Mar 2022: +398,000 jobs
Apr 2022: +368,000 jobs
May 2022: +384,000 jobs
Jun 2022: +372,000 jobs

source

And the unemployment rate has fallen from 4.0% to 3.6%.

Yeah, some "recession."
In addition, there is this little known fact: In Q1 and Q2 of 1947, the economy contracted -1.1% and -0.8% respectively, and we never entered an official NBER recession:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/A191RL1Q225SBEA

Old 07-28-2022, 09:41 AM

9,544 posts, read 9,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Actually, it's not official at all. We aren't in a recession yet, but than I guess that would make for a less sexy thread title. Just some more CD drama.
Had Trump had the same economic numbers as we had now, we would have been in the middle of the worst economic recession the world had ever seen.

At least according to the left and their media sites.

But now, it's "we're not there yet folks, the worst is yet to come". - Joe Biden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies