Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 04:26 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
So, who is stopping you from making a personal choice? Go live where you please. Who cares?
But immigrants get to do that, too.
Most people would not get riled up about it but for some reason there seems to be a need to preach against diversity and immigrants when there is a solution at hand.
Immigrants or illegal aliens? You seem to be left leaning and they always blur the lines between those two very different groups.

Diversity in culture somewhat is ok but not when it dilutes the identifying culture and language of a country. The 1965 Immgration Act helped accomplish that and illegal immigration is putting the final touches on it.

Old 08-20-2022, 05:21 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The only things humans share is their desire to be safe, secure, and fed. Everything beyond that varies between individuals and groups. Even the taste of food varies by group. Asians for instance have different taste buds than white people. They literally taste food differently than us. They see color differently than us.

Asians perceive the world differently than white people because their entire brains are wired differently. Their temporal, occipital, parietal, and frontal lobes have distinct differences in sizes and thickness relative to Caucasians. These are the areas of the brain that connect to our senses and process what we see, taste, hear, smell, and touch.
You are saying that there is a genetic (or evolutionary?) difference between racial or ethnic groups. And I suppose you are implying that that has a bearing on diversity acceptance and immigration.

In the brain structure study, the researchers selected a group of Han Chinese and paired them with a generalized group of Caucasians. I think we could assume that there might be differences among the Caucasian group based on their background or ethnicity. Is the Han Chinese group entirely representative of all East Asians or could there be differences in that broader population?

I actually do think that human beings share more than just the "desire to be safe, secure, and fed." There are marginal cultural and ethnic differences. Take bagpipe music for example (please!). I can recall when sushi first arrived in the US (recoil might be the word I was looking for) but it has caught on with a wider non-Asian group of fans. I'm not fond of sushi but I eat ceviche. Another way of eating "raw" fish. Probably a personal preference. Lutefisk is an ethnic food has not had a similar positive reception across the board. My daughter has a personal policy against eating anything from the ocean (or even freshwater streams). I have no idea why. Some cultures have long favored arranged marriages while other cultures follow a different approach. Both cultures value marriage.

"It's all part of life's rich pageantry you know." Inspector Clouseau

Old 08-21-2022, 08:07 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
and then at the same time...people gravitate to their own.....because people do better among their own
This is America. We segregate ourselves by class/income and not always race.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:33 AM

187 posts, read 115,451 times
About 90% of job postings you find on online now say they're an equal opportunity employer but then ask what your race is.

How about instead of thriving to have an equal amount of each race you hire on MERIT and CREDENTIALS. That's just too racist these days.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:38 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler5874 View Post
About 90% of job postings you find on online now say they're an equal opportunity employer but then ask what your race is.

How about instead of thriving to have an equal amount of each race you hire on MERIT and CREDENTIALS. That's just too racist these days.
Isn't that exactly what minorities asked for in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies