Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 07:49 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times

Advertisements

These two concepts seem to be at odds. First, striving for a goal of a nation in which all communities have good representation of all identifiable minorities, such as Muslim, LGBTQ, mixed-race couples, etc.. But then, members of those same minorities are asking in a relocation forum, where can they settle in communities friendly to their particular persuasion.

How can it be both? (Please don't answer if all you want to do is cut-paste your usual mindless political-labeled bashing. There is no agenda here -- just wondering if anybody has any thoughtful ideas of how these two trends might play out.)

Old 07-31-2022, 09:52 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Maybe those claiming they want a diverse community aren't being entirely truthful. It sounds nice and socially acceptable until you have to deal with "those people" everyday.

Being a military brat, I grew up in a diverse environment - and prefer to live in a diverse environment. To me, it kind of keeps people in check when having to deal with different people.

Old 07-31-2022, 09:57 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Being a minority, being Black American in particular, there are certain things I have to consider when living somewhere. For starters, I'm not going to move somewhere without a job lined up. Another matter is how I will be perceived by the locals. I have to think about this because how I'm treated could be a factor in me deciding to be part of that community. I don't want to go somewhere, and then find that the locals don't want me there. That is really something I have to consider. For me this isn't some "woke" concept. This is about stuff I've dealt with and making sure I know what I'm getting into.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:02 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
prompoting diversity is like asking for a drink.

water, whiskey, gin, beet juice?

Diversity of what???????

diversity of demographics and flavors does not equate to diversity of ideas. It assumes all are of equal contribution simply because they hold protected status. That is racist

Old 07-31-2022, 10:08 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
The two concepts are not mutual and are completely independent which is why both can be true and both can be not true at the same time.

Diversity just means diverse, it does not speak to the environment or if the people in the neighborhood get along. Diversity can exist in an environment where people hate each other or like each other, but diversity does not address the issue of perceived "Friendliness" to a specific group and that group could be anything and not just race-based as I imagine this question is about.

Minority friendly just means "are minorities welcome?" and does not speak to whether a neighborhood is diverse. Perhaps the area is NOT diverse and so I am asking a local if it is Minority Friendly because there is little diversity. Or an area is very diverse but there is talk of strife between groups such as incidents of Confederate flags flying on homes and people being upset or supporting it. That may lead a potential minority home buyer to ask if the area is Minority friendly before buying.

Again the two terms are completely different in meaning and use. They have correlations but have far different meanings and practical use cases.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:14 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
and then at the same time...people gravitate to their own.....because people do better among their own

Old 07-31-2022, 10:14 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Being a minority, being Black American in particular, there are certain things I have to consider when living somewhere. For starters, I'm not going to move somewhere without a job lined up. Another matter is how I will be perceived by the locals. I have to think about this because how I'm treated could be a factor in me deciding to be part of that community. I don't want to go somewhere, and then find that the locals don't want me there. That is really something I have to consider. For me this isn't some "woke" concept. This is about stuff I've dealt with and making sure I know what I'm getting into.
I get it. Being Jewish, I don't want to be in a place with a large Muslim community.

I don't think all muslims hate Jews, but wherever they seem to go in large groups, a lot of anti-Jewish rhetoric and targeted crime seems to follow.

It is a strange feeling when the only thing you really have against another group, is their hatred of you.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:15 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
These two concepts seem to be at odds. First, striving for a goal of a nation in which all communities have good representation of all identifiable minorities, such as Muslim, LGBTQ, mixed-race couples, etc.. But then, members of those same minorities are asking in a relocation forum, where can they settle in communities friendly to their particular persuasion.

How can it be both? (Please don't answer if all you want to do is cut-paste your usual mindless political-labeled bashing. There is no agenda here -- just wondering if anybody has any thoughtful ideas of how these two trends might play out.)
I tried to comment on the race mixing thread. But unfortunately that thread disappeared.

Anyway, I am mixed myself and I am engaged to be married to a white man. I am happy everywhere I live. So diversity is not a concern for me.

We are talking about moving to another state.

In my opinion. Low crime rate means high housing price which i am ok with.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:22 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Utter nonsense. Poor, poor me. Victimhood strikes again.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:32 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

I wonder what minority friendly really means.

I grew up in a very nice beach community here in orange county california. I also lived in japan and Germany for many years when I was a child.

In my opinion, bill oreilly told the truth when he said "the country is divided by class, not race."

There is no such a thing as free lunch. If one wants to send his/her children to a better school, one needs to pay to live in a nice neighborhood with higher housing price.

Better everything = higher price. Diversity has never made a neighborhood safer or nicer. People come from similar cultural and financial backgrounds can normally coexist. They might not have mad love for each other, but they can live together peacefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies